Laws of game change on June 1st

Cagey

Free Kicks. = No attacking players in a wall of3 or more.

Sub's. = Player must leave the field at nearest point (this will be fun with a player getting abuse walking right round pitch).

Coaches. = they can be issued with red or yellow cards just like players.

Penalty Kicks. = Goalie must keep one foot on the line.

Hand Ball.= Accidental hand ball deemed a free kick.

Drop Ball. = No longrer to be competitive.(complicated).

The job of the ref is difficult enough. I wonder how many of these rules will be missed by refs or forgotten about after Christmas.

Are the 6 steps  & holding the ball too long still applicable ?

42 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Sub's. = Player must leave the field at nearest point (this will be fun with a player getting abuse walking right round pitch).

The job of the ref is difficult enough. I wonder how many of these rules will be missed by refs or forgotten about after Christmas.

Systematically destroying the beautiful game.

2 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

The handball is ridiculous.

Won't players just try kick it at the oppositions hands to win freekicks and penalties??

New tactics, just chip the ball up.  Need to be wiser in the box for attack and defending.

But the rules are evolving and no real issues with the latest updates... but offside needs some clarification, I grasp todays rule but seen an OG the other day by a defender that had to play the ball as the attacker was near (they'd have been offside if they'd touched it) 

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

You missed ball does not have to leave the box before a defending player touches it from bye kicks and free kicks, attacking player can enter once defender touches it,.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

The rules are getting absolutely ridiculous. I haven't watched much of the woman's world cup but the handball decisions are inconsistent and the ones that have been given are scandalous.

Part of the problem is the understandable desire to use officials from all parts of the world, but this means using folk from areas where officials are undeveloped and inexperienced. You saw that in the last Scotland game, where some of the decisions were comical. The men’s game went through this phase as well. 

20 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Part of the problem is the understandable desire to use officials from all parts of the world, but this means using folk from areas where officials are undeveloped and inexperienced. You saw that in the last Scotland game, where some of the decisions were comical. The men’s game went through this phase as well. 

One of the biggest complaints is consistency. That happens in our league with a bunch of educated white guys and these rule changes won't reduce that. So I would say the men's game is still going through this regardless of borders.

11 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Free Kicks. = No attacking players in a wall of 3 or more.

Who decides who are attacking players and who are defending players. In my opinion all out field players are at some time attackers and they all are defenders when we do not have the ball.

I'm not sure if this is genius or not!!! :wacko:

4 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Free Kicks. = No attacking players in a wall of 3 or more.

Who decides who are attacking players and who are defending players. In my opinion all out field players are at some time attackers and they all are defenders when we do not have the ball.

Doesn't it mean players from the attacking team, rather than players from attacking positions.

30 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Doesn't it mean players from the attacking team, rather than players from attacking positions.

Yes, I just assumed Johnny B was trying to be funny. I suppose if it's a genuine question then the ref will use the shirt colours a guide to who's attackers and who's defenders!! :wink:

20 hours ago, Dave Ferg said:

The ludicrous offside decision given against Scotland was inexcusable at any level of football.

It's a great shame that some of the officiating has been so poor given that the standard of play has generally been excellent.

Agree 100%, some decent football on show often spoiled by officials who would appear to have spent the last year learning the rules from a book in a classroom setting and have now been set free for the first time. No concept of the advantage rule and whenever two players bang into each other it's a free kick to someone. Some of the offsides have been awful, they seem to wait until the move is over, ie save, goal, corner or whatever, then stand by the corner flag with the flag up for offside.

Shame really, makes it difficult to enjoy, although I haven't given up yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So let me get this right-

Defenders must run around with their hands behind their backs in case the ball accidentally hits their arm.

For penalties, goalkeepers cant dive until the ball is in the back of the net.

Defenders dont need to defend against  players in the offside position, just ignore them like theyre not there. What could go wrong.

Substitutes can depart the field at the nearest point. That should please the coin throwers.  

16 hours ago, Rob said:

So let me get this right-

Defenders must run around with their hands behind their backs in case the ball accidentally hits their arm.

For penalties, goalkeepers cant dive until the ball is in the back of the net.

Defenders dont need to defend against  players in the offside position, just ignore them like theyre not there. What could go wrong.

Substitutes can depart the field at the nearest point. That should please the coin throwers.  

To a bunch of suits these all made sense and would enhance the game.  When you through in the achingly painful misuse of technology then you have a product that is bound to confuse.

Edited by garydavidson

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

When did the rule change that a football jersey had to be tucked into the shorts and Not outside the shorts?

A few years ago now but like most new rules introduced they seem to get forgotten very quickly.

I am sure someone will do their homework & tell us the season.

Not sure I saw any subs leaving the pitch from the side they were standing when being subbed during female world cup.

13 hours ago, Cagey said:

A few years ago now but like most new rules introduced they seem to get forgotten very quickly.

I am sure someone will do their homework & tell us the season.

Not sure I saw any subs leaving the pitch from the side they were standing when being subbed during female world cup.

Anything to stop looking at the next enquiry I have on my desk 

FROM ASK THE REF

The great rewrite of the LOTG in 1998 left the Additional Instructions out of the printing, but none of that information was repealed, it was just not printed in the book any more - it was assumed everybody knew it. Relevant to your question, there was a section on Players' Outfits which said:

'(a) The referee shall ensure that each player wears his clothes properly and check that they conform with the requirements of Law IV. Players shall be made aware that their jersey remains tucked inside their shorts and that their socks remain pulled up. The referee shall also make sure that each player is wearing shinguards and that none of them is wearing potentially dangerous objects (such as watches, metal bracelets etc.).'

Since then, the IFAB has also ruled that one piece jerseys are unacceptable, that jerseys meant to be worn outside the shorts are okay (which by analogy, means that if the jersey is meant to be tucked in, it must be), and that players wearing undershirts with slogans or advertising on them and who reveal said message during a game must be sanctioned.

One can only conclude that if the referee decides the jerseys must be tucked in, then they must be tucked in - end of story.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

one piece jerseys are unacceptable, that jerseys meant to be worn outside the shorts are okay (which by analogy, means that if the jersey is meant to be tucked in, it must be), 

I don't get this bit - it says in the previous paragraph that jerseys must be tucked in, but then this seems to contradict it? Also not sure what "one piece jerseys" are - aren't they all "one piece"?

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I don't get this bit - it says in the previous paragraph that jerseys must be tucked in, but then this seems to contradict it? Also not sure what "one piece jerseys" are - aren't they all "one piece"?

A bit like a leotard:roll: did Cameroon not wear them at one time

20 hours ago, mainstand said:

A bit like a leotard:roll: did Cameroon not wear them at one time

Ah, OK - it was calling it a jersey that threw me. Really it means combined jersey and shorts. Cameroon did indeed try that. They also released a sleeveless shirt at one point. Photos of both here:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/kits/70838/shit-football-kits-cameroons-indomitable-unitard-2004.html