Celtic v Saints 3 August 2019

Jimmy Wallace

We looked beaten before the whistle tbh. We don't have a single player that would get near the Celtic bench, and today showed that, add in the fact that they were out their minds on 'flag day' crowd juice and it was all very predictable. 

Celtic were unplayable today. In some ways it's good to get it out of the way early, but they won't be playing like that in early December. 

I took no real positives from today, but I do hope that our big Estonian is better than he looked today. Probably a reason Estonia only just scrape into the world top 100. 

We have been calling for a striker all summer. But he would not have made one bit of difference today. Our inability to defend was severely exposed today. It was also evident during the friendlies and cup games against part timers. It is going to be a long season if cannot defend and cannot score.

46 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

We have been calling for a striker all summer. But he would not have made one bit of difference today. Our inability to defend was severely exposed today. It was also evident during the friendlies and cup games against part timers. It is going to be a long season if cannot defend and cannot score.

We could sign Messi & Rinaldo & they would struggle without service.

2 shots,none on target.

5 at the back doest work. We tried it against a struggling Hearts last season just before we played Celtic & got jumped in both games.

At least we stopped Forrest scoring his usual goals against us.

I wouldn't mind getting humped if we at least tried to lay a hand on them.

11 minutes ago, GMac said:

We are in a mini league, along with possibly, Livi, Hamilton and StMirren top that and we will be OK.

Also Hearts, Ross County and Motherwell. 

You can bookmark this to your heart's content but (and I'm saying this expecting 2 signings) we are not at the standard of Hamilton and St Mirren. 

47 minutes ago, andrew said:

Can’t remember when we last missed a game there. Not paying £30. That’s a limit we won’t go to.

Restricted view tickets was the way to go, so few of us that nobody had to sit behind the pillar that means your view restricted. Celtic stewards weren’t letting anyone up there anyway and in fact it ended up with Celtic fans there. Three quid saved.

Total utter pish , I didn’t go expecting us to win but to at least try, I don’t remember Bain having anything to do, one Liam Craig effort miles over the bar from distance the only shot I remember.

Defence was poor but we offered nothing up the park. Celtic played well but we stood off them and allowed them to.

1 hour ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

The only positive I see is that Saints royally pissed you off by punting your young lad, good work Saints.

Nice retort after a 7-0 defeat, positive right enough.

You are totally incorrect,  like Rik1234 come back to me with the facts or shut yer p&&s. It’s not just one instance of issues, there are many.

9 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Restricted view tickets was the way to go, so few of us that nobody had to sit behind the pillar that means your view restricted. Celtic stewards weren’t letting anyone up there anyway and in fact it ended up with Celtic fans there. Three quid saved.

Total utter pish , I didn’t go expecting us to win but to at least try, I don’t remember Bain having anything to do, one Liam Craig effort miles over the bar from distance the only shot I remember.

Defence was poor but we offered nothing up the park. Celtic played well but we stood off them and allowed them to.

Can’t say I’m bothered at missing what you described there. You always go in the hope they put up a decent effort. That’s all you can ask. But to witness that, and at £30 or £27 is poor all round. I’m sorry you had to see such a bad game.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

We could sign Messi & Rinaldo & they would struggle without service.

2 shots,none on target.

5 at the back doest work. We tried it against a struggling Hearts last season just before we played Celtic & got jumped in both games.

At least we stopped Forrest scoring his usual goals against us.

Aye

On 8/2/2019 at 7:53 PM, Dave H said:

In one way glad we are playing here first game, get the players some proper game time fitness and concentration.. seems like they couldnt apply themselves so far, better be on their game for this one or we'll get wellied.

ABSOLUTELY WELLIED.   

Pish!

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

We've not has the gloves on so far in the preseason and league cup.  Never going to change week 1.   Lacking confidence.  Scared to take on responsibility!  I blame central midfield, the heart of the team is not strong enough

That's the worst defeat I've sat through watching Saints. Kind of expected it with where we're at and with Celtic already having a few competitive fixtures under their belt, so **** knows why I went.

Celtic too quick, too strong and too good. Saints nowhere near ready for that fixture with a back 4 who have hardly played together, and a team that has struggled.

We showed no courage to look after the ball, just panicked and gave it straight back everytime. The only exception was young McCann who showed up a lot of his older colleagues with his willingness to show for the ball, be prepared to hold an opponent off, and find a pass.  He was our one positive. It's what Chris Millar did so well for us when we went there.

Absolutely no point turning on the team, heads will already be low enough amongst the players, and the chairman and manager know we need players in, so let's not dwell on this one, and see what this week brings.

A win next week, then a fortnight to shape the team and work on things.

1 hour ago, sasha said:

Nice retort after a 7-0 defeat, positive right enough.

You are totally incorrect,  like Rik1234 come back to me with the facts or shut yer p&&s. It’s not just one instance of issues, there are many.

Boring, I couldn't care less if youngsters deemed not good enough got punted.

So what Saints got beat 7-0 by a side with 50 times our budget, levels, it happens. It won't stop me supporting them.

4 hours ago, andrew said:

Can’t remember when we last missed a game there. Not paying £30. That’s a limit we won’t go to.

Crowd was definitely down on normal, they had us all boxed in the front section. Maybe our form and the fact it was a party for them played a part but the price must have as well. If you take out players' families and day trippers (that is in no way an insult BTW), you are looking at not even filling a bus of regular away supporters IMO. 

7-0. So what? Its a Scottish league match with two teams miles apart in terms of finance. Like Jeanfield Swifts playing Barcelona. I am just amazed that it isn't 7-0 every time against Celtic. Avoid relegation is the achievable target. Top 7 is on. Top 4, probably not. Exciting flowing football? No, of course not. Reliable, steady-eddie guaranteed premier league football? Yes... if Tommy is allowed to continue.

Not for the first time in 2019, that wasn't good enough, which is clearly stating the obvious. No one that started came close to an acceptable standard. Ali McCann came on with nothing to lose and at least made himself noticeable. 

Make no mistake, Tommy Wright is in trouble here. Not in terms of imminent danger to his job but this squad he's assembled is well short and just a striker might not cut it.

He doesn't want Anderson, is trying to force McMillan out and suspect his patience with Callachan might have run out at half-time. But we need more numbers not less and just how much business can you do at this stage without looking a bit desperate? 

15 hours ago, sasha said:

Where is Roddy,  sorry Random and Andy Rhodes watch? Blue tinted glasses so tell us the positives?

Hi, I was at a wedding surrounding by Celtic fans all day, and night, yesterday. I suspect those who only had to suffer the 90 minute match had a better time than me.

9 hours ago, Paddy Buckley Ghost Again said:

7-0. So what? Its a Scottish league match with two teams miles apart in terms of finance. Like Jeanfield Swifts playing Barcelona. I am just amazed that it isn't 7-0 every time against Celtic. Avoid relegation is the achievable target. Top 7 is on. Top 4, probably not. Exciting flowing football? No, of course not. Reliable, steady-eddie guaranteed premier league football? Yes... if Tommy is allowed to continue.

In terms of only transfer money, Celtics 11 yesterday cost a reported £20.4m.

Their bench cost £9.8m.

I think our only cash signing is Murray Davidson, as part of a two player deal that hit £50k.

Celtics wage bill last season was apparently £59m. 

Folk are ****ing dreaming if they're expecting us to be competing with Celtic every single time we play them. If they turn up and are on fire, and we're in a bad place confidence wise and squad wise, then we're ****ed. TW setting the team up and exposing the midfield just made it even worse.

Imagine expecting us not to record our heaviest ever defeat to Celtic. What a bunch of dreamers... 

Yesterday was unacceptable. Nobody should be defending it, excusing it or brushing it off. And it wasn't even a one-off, they did the same to us less than a year ago. Obviously a lot of lessons picked up from that mauling... 

5 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Imagine expecting us not to record our heaviest ever defeat to Celtic. What a bunch of dreamers... 

Yesterday was unacceptable. Nobody should be defending it, excusing it or brushing it off. And it wasn't even a one-off, they did the same to us less than a year ago. Obviously a lot of lessons picked up from that mauling... 

Over the past three seasons Celtic have scored 5 goals in a game 19 times. Once they're going, they're going, and its almost impossible to stop.

When you're going there with a weak defence, confidence sapped squad, no out ball, and your manager has set you up so the full backs are exposed and the centre of midfield is outnumbered, then thats just a perfect combination for a result like this.

I'm trying not to defend/excuse anything as its an embarrassing scoreline, but I'll be far more worried/annoyed if we, say, lose 3-0 at home to Livingston next week then I am losing 7-0 away to Celtic.