Celtic v Saints 3 August 2019

Jimmy Wallace

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

... but I'll be far more worried/annoyed if we, say, lose 3-0 at home to Livingston next week then I am losing 7-0 away to Celtic.

I'll be far more worried/annoyed if someone cuts off my feet as opposed to my hands.

You are trying to tell folk who spent their day watching that yesterday that it wasn't that bad because... 

Do you think anyone wants to hear that when we've sat through such a defeat? 

16 hours ago, Tom Leykis said:

Nor by getting beat by Forfar, Ross County, Montrose or Inverness, or the brutalist football we play. #sarcasm

Inverness... dearie me. So in your opinion our season is defined by what we do in the betfred cup and in a pre season friendly? Great post, would read again. #sarcasm

7 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

I'll be far more worried/annoyed if someone cuts off my feet as opposed to my hands.

You are trying to tell folk who spent their day watching that yesterday that it wasn't that bad because... 

Of course, nobody want to hear that. I didn't go myself (Ibrox and Celtic Park are the 2 venues I will never go for a league game) but I did watch every single miserable minute on Saints TV. 

Celtic were absolutely unplayable yesterday. Not a team in Scotland can get anywhere near them and I honestly believe that any of 6 or 7 teams in our division would have suffered a similar fate. 

I do have some negative takeaways though. I'm really not sure about this big Estonian chap. He seems way, way off the mark. Also Zander's howler .. well probably better he gets that out of the way when it's a less meaningful goal. Also share the worries that people have about Kerr. Not sure it's just the captaincy, I suspect that Joe was much more important than perhaps we realised. Hopefully Gordon back soon as he seems to have a good relationship with him. 

The midfield is a worry but again, just look at what we were playing yesterday. We can't comment on up front as we didn't play a striker. 

4 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

What are you wanting to hear? Just a collection of folk mewling about how horrible it all is and piling into the club?

You know me, I'll do that when I feel like its merited. I don't think, and never have, that reading much into a Celtic v Saints game in Glasgow is worth much, regardless of the result, as they have the players, and ability, to beat their direct opponent all over the park, and nobody else has that. We can talk about failing the basics etc. if you like, but from the clips of the goals I've seen this morning the decision to go with a back five and three central midfielders was a major mistake and is directly linked to Celtic always having a player spare around the edge of the box, that would be the main thing I'd take from it.

No matter how big a gulf there is between Celtic and Saints losing 7-0 is not acceptable. Tommy has had many  chances to create and test a system to contain teams yet if anything we're getting worse. He seems to think sticking 11 men behind the ball is enough. To stay in the game against teams like Celtic you need to press, hassle and win the ball back. You need to get the team up the pitch and give the defenders a rest. You need to have an outball.

Losing by anything more than 3 or 4 is piss poor at our level. 

He's done a great job reducing the age of the team but he's ripped the heart and desire to win out of it. This is a team of heartless cowards now. When was the last time we won a game from behind?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

What are you wanting to hear? Just a collection of folk mewling about how horrible it all is and piling into the club?

I just don't want to hear any sort of justification of a 7-0 defeat. 

I disagree that Celtic would have handed out a similar beating to several other clubs. Of course they played well but we were atrocious and that should be pointed out. In fact, I think all the players that started disgraced themselves and should be embarrassed this morning. 

Not once, not twice but three times we let Christie have a free pop at goal and Griffiths' strike was the same. That is criminal. 

We didn't lay a glove on them unless it was a sly kick or elbow. We stood off them all day. So, so poor and folk should be venting their anger. 

4 minutes ago, Broon said:

No matter how big a gulf there is between Celtic and Saints losing 7-0 is not acceptable. Tommy has had many  chances to create and test a system to contain teams yet if anything we're getting worse. He seems to think sticking 11 men behind the ball is enough. To stay in the game against teams like Celtic you need to press, hassle and win the ball back. You need to get the team up the pitch and give the defenders a rest. You need to have an outball.

Losing by anything more than 3 or 4 is piss poor at our level. 

He's done a great job reducing the age of the team but he's ripped the heart and desire to win out of it. This is a team of heartless cowards now. When was the last time we won a game from behind?

What, exactly, do you mean by 'not acceptable'. What form of action will this 'non acceptance' result in?

24 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Did you honestly expect any less yesterday? I could see that result coming a mile off and so could the players it seems. I understand the disappointment, I would be too if I'd shelled out £100+ to go to Glasgow for that. A couple of players coming in soon, then back to basics needed again, midfield not doing enough, tracking runners etc, no outball, defence needs organisation, Liam will sort that soon enough, and Zander needs a kick up the arse. That's where Tommy will earn his money in the next wee while.

12 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

When I saw the fixture list and match prices , thought, feck sitting through all the Flag unfurling shite.

Glad I didn't go.

Decided to have lunch and refreshments for my daughter's birthday in the fair City.

Braw.

Onwards and upwards to next Saturday.

C.o.y.s.

Hoodlum you’re getting soft giving up saints for your daughters birthday:D

The point being made is, in effect, that we are Celtic’s Forfar/Montrose. So getting thumped is not too bad. Fair enough. But the point surely is that, whilst Celtic thumped their Forfar/Montrose, we got beat by both of ours, and THAT’S the worry.

That Championship is an utter barstard to get out of, we all remember that. 

57 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

That Championship is an utter barstard to get out of, we all remember that. 

Just ask a United fan.  I hated the decade we spent down there last tine out, even worse crowds and atmosphere coupled with worse football and worse refs... ah, the lower leagues are brutal.

Edited by Dave H

16 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Just ask a United fan.  I hated the decade we spent down there last tine out, even worse crowds and atmosphere coupled with worse football and worse refs... ah, the lower leagues are brutal.

Not sure I would agree that the crowds ,atmosphere & football in Championship was brutal.

11 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Steady dude steady. I Ken how you feel ,I was at the cup game and many more similar.

In my day we could  console ourselves in taking it out on the opposing teams supporters ..nowadays thats really not an option.

dont let the weasels in our support get to you.we know our history ,enjoy the richness of being a saintee fan.up or down ,we support them in any town.

Ya bass

26 minutes ago, akuram said:

We really missed Steven Anderson to steady the other defenders, even slow as he is is still better than those playing.

Ken what. I liked this bit.its got a ring of truth there.ando does not give in.

Sometimes it’s not the defeat it’s the manner of the defeat.

Folks are hard on our team, as a fellow poster highlighted there is no comparison budget wise, seriously how are we meant to compete.

I remember reading an article in which a professional footballer spoke of what it’s like to play against the old firm. He said the manager had been giving the players pelters at half time, but in his words ‘ try as we might, we just couldn’t get the f***ing ball off them.

I don’t believe for a minute professional footballers go out and deliberately not try! Let’s face it Celtic were just bigger & better.

Am I worried? You bet!! But honest to goodness all this negativity is doing my head in!

Talk about champagne tastes with beer bottle prices... I know I will get accused of being one of the happy clappers but I am not. I still think we have the makings of a good wee team, and a manager who is a perfect fit for us. 

So COYS... I have always enjoyed our stints in the first division/ championship :roll:

At the end of last season we were looking to get £1million each for Clark & Kerr. At the moment it looks like they would be lucky to keep their place in the team.

Is the lack of signing a new contract having an impact on Zander ?

Is the captains armband too much of a burden for Jason ?.

With Celtic beating Motherwell 5-2 today and the bbc describing it as a thrashing,  I suspect there is going to be quite a few on the receiving end of a drubbing this season. At least Motherwell got the first goal but Celtic seem unstoppable.

Edited by Rob

2 hours ago, Rob said:

With Celtic beating Motherwell 5-2 today and the bbc describing it as a thrashing,  I suspect there is going to be quite a few on the receiving end of a drubbing this season. At least Motherwell got the first goal but Celtic seem unstoppable.

Motherwell actually & made Celtic look poor for first 20 mins but once Celtic went ahead there was only one winner. Well did score 2 though & Celtic central defence looked iffy at times.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Motherwell actually & made Celtic look poor for first 20 mins but once Celtic went ahead there was only one winner. Well did score 2 though & Celtic central defence looked iffy at times.

Thats one of the problems, Saints in particular never put any pressure on Celtic defence and their keepers are always perceived as great but only because they dont really get put under much pressure.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Held over 90 mins by Dunfermline. Hope they were playing their reserve team as it makes the 7-0 look even worse.

Cup ties can level teams. Thought you would know  that .

thats why I only go parkhead/ ibrox for cupties in the hope......

well done the pars. Good day out for their fans.