Put your hands in your pockets

sixties saintee

Fed up o aw the wingers and moaners going on wae there selves, we all know Broon is a tight wad, so instead of people sponcering shirts which I believe is around £ 300 if people matched that and put it into a fund for the sole purpose of paying a players wage help Tommy out and the club, quite happy to start it off instead of moaning and wingeing do something , or are you quite happy to slag Broon and do nothing, put your money where your mouth is.

Surely that's what I do when I pay my season ticket!?

About 6 months ago I was looking for a venue for my tenth anniversary party.... I visited McDiarmid Park as I had a biased want to use it. I was told a girl would know I was coming, she didn't. She showed me the room (which was miles behind others I looked at) but she said they'd send me pricing etc... I waited a week and didn't get anything as I expected. Easy decision and I went to a venue more suited most likely at a better deal.... The long and short of it is between what I paid for the party, food and the bar takings (which I was told by the new venue was very good) the club lost out on potentially quite a few grand. If the club can't be bothered working for business that's delivered to their door I'm not going to waste a penny above my season ticket from now on. 

8 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Surely that's what I do when I pay my season ticket!?

About 6 months ago I was looking for a venue for my tenth anniversary party.... I visited McDiarmid Park as I had a biased want to use it. I was told a girl would know I was coming, she didn't. She showed me the room (which was miles behind others I looked at) but she said they'd send me pricing etc... I waited a week and didn't get anything as I expected. Easy decision and I went to a venue more suited most likely at a better deal.... The long and short of it is between what I paid for the party, food and the bar takings (which I was told by the new venue was very good) the club lost out on potentially quite a few grand. If the club can't be bothered working for business that's delivered to their door I'm not going to waste a penny above my season ticket from now on. 

complaints section for this negativity.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

You'd need over 250 people to stump up £300, around the same time they're buying a season ticket, to pay someone like Swanson their basic wage, maybe over 300 people if you're doing bonuses.

Can't see it.

There are Saintees out there who could give more even if we only got 150 its still monies towards a player, we got to start somewhere.

You’ll need a pot of at least £110,000 for a player. 

If at £1,000 a week it’s a base of £104,000 for a two year contract. You then have signing on fees for the player, agents fees for the negotiations and any players image rights. 

Thats all excluding the performance related bonuses too. 

You need 346 people to donate plus agree unanimously the player to sign. 

Nice idea but unless one individual sponsors/invests in a player and their deal it won’t happen. 

They said there was funds for the 3 year May deal. Surely that is still there? 

3 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Aye its easy to be negative, what do you want to do moan.

Who in their right mind would pay more cash simply to pay for one extra squad player? 

Its like an idea to stick an extra £300 onto a season ticket price so its £600+ so to get 1 more player in. 

Put your hand in your pocket you say, it's a non starter, it's like a chat in a pub after 8 pints!  Sure as hell not getting an extra £300 off me.

This reminds me of when I was at school and it was suggested that we would should start a penny a week fund for Saints to buy Jimmy Jack  from Arbroath.

At school you were supposed to bring in a penny every week which I think was either for the school or donated to charity. This was the Penny A Week Fund where the idea came from.

Absolutely not. If the club was struggling financially, then makes sense to do something like the foundation of hearts, but given the cash reserves and financial stability at the club, then fans paying a players wage directly like this would feel wrong to me.

If you want to raise funds, how about charging directors admission to the games? 18 home games with hospitality would be best part of £2k each director. Then add on the free travel to away games..... these guys probably get the best part of £4-5k in freebies out of saints each year (taking I to account hospitality at away games too), excluding european trips or pre season trips.

So, would I pay more to sign an extra player when I see little time or financial effort from those running the club? Frankly no. 

2 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Absolutely not. If the club was struggling financially, then makes sense to do something like the foundation of hearts, but given the cash reserves and financial stability at the club, then fans paying a players wage directly like this would feel wrong to me.

If you want to raise funds, how about charging directors admission to the games? 18 home games with hospitality would be best part of £2k each director. Then add on the free travel to away games..... these guys probably get the best part of £4-5k in freebies out of saints each year (taking I to account hospitality at away games too), excluding european trips or pre season trips.

So, would I pay more to sign an extra player when I see little time or financial effort from those running the club? Frankly no. 

Through my work I ve been a guest in the boardroom a few times in the past and would totally disagree with this.

On a match day the directors are very hands on and busy,  they certainly aren’t sitting back eating free hospitality as your post infers.

In the boardroom there is coffee/tea , sandwiches, soup etc along with the usual alcohol you would expect to have there to offer a guest.

On my visits it’s been Stan Harris who has poured me a drink himself and made sure we had everything we wanted, much the same way as you would treat a guest in your house.

If anything I ve thought there’s not enough of them to play the host role but from my experience they are hardworking and do it very well.

Its not a bunch of guys sitting scoffing freebies, I imagine most of the directors are lucky if they have one drink and a bowl of soup before a game as they make sure guests are ok.

They give up their time for no pay from the club, while I don’t always agree with everything the club do, it’s wrong to portray the guys running it as anything other than hard working individuals.

I actually am of a total opposite opinion, if like some teams we had paid directors or certainly more paid staff I think that would make a difference, ourselves and football clubs in general rely heavily on volunteers, that’s fine but with a volunteer you are always going to get a doing my best approach rather than outcome you can target to a paid employee.

I get it’s money though and there’s only a certain amount of money the club generates.

7 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Through my work I ve been a guest in the boardroom a few times in the past and would totally disagree with this.

On a match day the directors are very hands on and busy,  they certainly aren’t sitting back eating free hospitality as your post infers.

In the boardroom there is coffee/tea , sandwiches, soup etc along with the usual alcohol you would expect to have there to offer a guest.

On my visits it’s been Stan Harris who has poured me a drink himself and made sure we had everything we wanted, much the same way as you would treat a guest in your house.

If anything I ve thought there’s not enough of them to play the host role but from my experience they are hardworking and do it very well.

Its not a bunch of guys sitting scoffing freebies, I imagine most of the directors are lucky if they have one drink and a bowl of soup before a game as they make sure guests are ok.

They give up their time for no pay from the club, while I don’t always agree with everything the club do, it’s wrong to portray the guys running it as anything other than hard working individuals.

I actually am of a total opposite opinion, if like some teams we had paid directors or certainly more paid staff I think that would make a difference, ourselves and football clubs in general rely heavily on volunteers, that’s fine but with a volunteer you are always going to get a doing my best approach rather than outcome you can target to a paid employee.

I get it’s money though and there’s only a certain amount of money the club generates.

It's ok Stan, we think you're doing a good job, carry on.

11 hours ago, Dave H said:

Who in their right mind would pay more cash simply to pay for one extra squad player? 

Its like an idea to stick an extra £300 onto a season ticket price so its £600+ so to get 1 more player in. 

Put your hand in your pocket you say, it's a non starter, it's like a chat in a pub after 8 pints!  Sure as hell not getting an extra £300 off me.

Why not.  Don’t you care about your club?  Nobody would force you to do so, but if you could afford it why shouldn’t fans offer to help the club out?

58 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Correct, in fact the Directors have had to put very significant amounts of their own money into the club.  Given this and the huge amount of unpaid work they do, I don’t think we can begrudge them a bowl of soup and a wee steak pie!

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Wallace said:

Why not.  Don’t you care about your club?  Nobody would force you to do so, but if you could afford it why shouldn’t fans offer to help the club out?

you've simply answered your question in you reply.  nothing stopping fans donating an extra £300 pound today, just buy another season ticket if you can afford it.   How you can even mention the 'don't care' argument has got nothing to do with it.   

You go ahead and donate £300 today, nothing stopping you doing so - unless you don't care about your club.

6 minutes ago, Dave H said:

you've simply answered your question in you reply.  nothing stopping fans donating an extra £300 pound today, just buy another season ticket if you can afford it.   How you can even mention the 'don't care' argument has got nothing to do with it.   

You go ahead and donate £300 today, nothing stopping you doing so - unless you don't care about your club.

Fair enough, and I apologise for suggesting you don’t care.  Still don’t think it’s a bad idea though.  I would consider donating to the club as part of a structured scheme for the first team squad and there may be others willing to do so.

what I don’t understand though is why the strong reactions against doing so?  Genuine question.