Ask Brown a question

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Council have objected ,backed up by the Scottish government to a sign at the retail park that is TOO red.

No wonder retailers are struggling.

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

Never be too red Comrade

The Fired Earth Kitchen and Bathroom Showroom on Princes St. closed it's doors for good on Friday.

Apologies for wrong thread.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Council have objected ,backed up by the Scottish government to a sign at the retail park that is TOO red.

No wonder retailers are struggling.

We should be welcoming businesses coming to Perth, not worry about their signage, what a joke. Ive seen nonsense saying, its too red, too bright, setting a bad precedent, makes the area look cluttered. Ridiculous. They're making an issue of this yet they do nothing about that roundabout regularly being backed up with cars waiting to get into the petrol station at Morrisons.

27 minutes ago, Rob said:

We should be welcoming businesses coming to Perth, not worry about their signage, what a joke. Ive seen nonsense saying, its too red, too bright, setting a bad precedent, makes the area look cluttered. Ridiculous. They're making an issue of this yet they do nothing about that roundabout regularly being backed up with cars waiting to get into the petrol station at Morrisons.

Be patient. There’ll be no petrol or groceries soon anyway.

8 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Great idea.

However One big drawback.

Perth and Kinross Council planning department don't like Saints and even more so, the Broons.

They even objected to the G.S.Brown sign on the back of the North stand, stating the Blue colour was the wrong shade.

Those of you with a longer memories will recall that Geoff's application to have a hotel built at McDiarmid was flatly (excuse the pun) refused by P..K.C.

Furthermore, there was the fiasco regarding the training pitch behind the East Stand.

They'd have more chance of Michael Flatley appearing at McD than flats.

A project like this would generate over 1.5 million additional community charge for the council over the first 10 years. 

If I thought my Councillor in Perth was blocking this they wouldn't be my councilor for very long. 

They could not afford to ignore this level of free funding. 

How would you improve the league set up.? 

With increased income next year this is an ideal time for reconstruction. 

I would suggest 3 leagues of 14 teams. 

Home and away against 13 equals 26 games and then split each league top 7 and bottom 7.

Thst would create a further 12 games with an equal amount of home and away games. 

Play off should be retained. 

To compensate bottom tier of top division from loosing a 3rd old firm game an extra 100k per position should be added to the bottom 7 prize money. 

Goal difference should be wiped clean before the split. 

Points from first 26 games should be retained but consideration given to halfing the figure achieved from the first 26 games to create a tighter run to the finish. 

A top division would give us more teams to play with likely return to top 14 of the Dundee clubs, or Dunfermline, Falkirk. Ict etc. 

Would lead to a much fairer system. No more potentially playing at a rivals ground 3 times in one season and no more uneven split of home and away games. 

In addition to the extra prize money for the loss of an old firm game there would be plenty of additional income to add a 13th and 14th sliding scale prize fund while still increasing the pot overall. 

I think this structure would benefit saints. 

Mr Brown what are your ideas on league reconstruction.? 

On the subject of attracting old fans back and new fans in, I'd be quite interested to know what Saints do to generate new ideas and how much time/effort they put into coming up with something innovative to improve things. In Geoff Brown's younger days Saints used to be a very forward-thinking club (the first to move out of town to a new all-seater stadium, for example), but for a long time they've seemed stuck in the past and are always incredibly slow to adopt new approaches that other clubs have been using for years (e.g. getting on board with online ticketing, and I'm fairly sure we were one of the last clubs in Scotland, if not the UK, to even have an official website at all). I get the impression that the club recognises there's a problem with attendances but has no appetite (or no competence?) for actually coming up with ideas to change that.

If you go to football matches abroad, or even just down south, you often get a very different matchday experience and perhaps Saints should be looking at small clubs with good supports and spending some time at their matches to see what those clubs do differently. Go to Union Berlin and you'll see the match is a social occasion that people of all ages go to because it's fun - there's mingling outside the stadium before the match with outdoor bars and street-food stalls (come to think of it, Saints are one of the few Scottish clubs who could potentially do this sort of thing because of the amount of land they own). Three sides of the ground are terraced and there's constant singing and chanting from the supporters, some of which is co-ordinated (something I hate, but hey, if it works, I'd prefer it to pin-drop silence). They also use the tannoy system a lot more effectively to build up the atmosphere. Down here in London I go to watch Dulwich Hamlet most weeks and they're a club who have grown an average attendance of under 500 to around 2,000 (and still rising) in a space of just four or five years, and pretty much all of that has happened through community engagement and creating a Saturday afternoon that is a social event everyone in the community wants to go to. I think looking beyond football to what's happening at other sporting events (e.g. the NFL matches someone mentioned above), and even concerts, would also be worthwhile. Every club has to find it's own thing that will work for its local crowd - but are Saints even looking, or are they just hoping that they can keep trudging along doing the same things and by some miracle the crowds will come flocking back. The Scottish Cup Final proved that there's a helluva lot of local affection for Saints - but it's an absolute crime that the club did bugger all to harness that.

Saints are obviously at a disadvantage because of the size of Perth and the fact that it's often bloody freezing at our matches, and I'm not saying things that work for other clubs will work for Saints, but is it not at least worth trying to learn from what's worked for other clubs?

Go to Union Berlin and you'll see the match is a social occasion that people of all ages go to because it's fun - there's mingling outside the stadium before the match with outdoor bars and street-food stalls (come to think of it, Saints are one of the few Scottish clubs who could potentially do this sort of thing because of the amount of land they own). Three sides of the ground are terraced and there's constant singing and chanting from the supporters, some of which is co-ordinated (something I hate, but hey, if it works, I'd prefer it to pin-drop silence)." to quote Mainstand.

I've been to Hertha Berlin and it's exactly the same, it's almost a festival atmosphere from about three hours before kick off. Picnics in the car park, live radio broadcasting etc, games and activities for the kids. I've never been to an American football game but I believe this is what it is like too.

Edited by cristo

1 minute ago, cristo said:

Go to Union Berlin and you'll see the match is a social occasion that people of all ages go to because it's fun - there's mingling outside the stadium before the match with outdoor bars and street-food stalls (come to think of it, Saints are one of the few Scottish clubs who could potentially do this sort of thing because of the amount of land they own). Three sides of the ground are terraced and there's constant singing and chanting from the supporters, some of which is co-ordinated (something I hate, but hey, if it works, I'd prefer it to pin-drop silence)." to quote Mainstand.

I've been to Hertha Berlin and it's exactly the same, it's almost a festival atmosphere from about three hours before kick off. Picnics in the car park, live radio broadcasting etc, games and activities for the kids. I've never been to an American football game but I believe this is what it is like too.

Yes, very much the same. Absolutely no reason the club couldn’t be taking £40-50 off each paying adult on most home games if they had stuff on for a few hours beforehand...

Food, drinks, merchandise etc.

The Muirton Suite is about drab as it gets. It’s like a school dinner hall and I forget that the club shop is there half the time. 

What ideas do you have for increasing non football income streams? 

The stadium sits adjacent to the A9 a route which is used by thousands of caravans and motor homes every week. 

Perth in itself is an attractive destination but add the convienience of a unique caravan and motor home camp site right on the A9 then McD could be a superb stop over. 

The grounds of the stadium are largely unused through the summer and a work around could easily be found for match days in April and August/September. 

With the space available on 3 sides of the AstroTurf you could probably accommodate up to 100 pitches. 

At £30 per night high season and £25 on other nights the pitch fees alone could generate over £20,000 per week. 

Add in having 2 to 300 people a night looking for food and drink and the potential revenue from unique marketing materials, SJFC camp site polo shirts, etc and other potential revenue streams then this could produce significant new revenue. 

For the May and August Bank Holiday weekends I would suggest an on site SJFC beer festival again increasing revenue. 

SJFC catering could supply the onsite catering both carry out and restaurant food. 

The bar could be opened for the thirsty travellers again generating profits. 

Cost wise electric hook ups would need to be installed. Along with drinking water supply chemical waste disposal. Fire extinguishers and pitches marked out. 

May have to do something to allow for awning pegs can't remember how much is tarmaced but that could be done. 

Toilet and shower facilities already exist on site although may need some adaption. 

Ticket office can be used for checking in etc. 

Would need to be a warden on site, they normally provide their own mobile accommodation. 

With restaurant catering and bar open more regularly it could also be utilised by the people of Perth shire as well as saints fans home to visit family etc in the summer. 

With a bit of work this type of facility could really boost saints income. 

What are your thoughts on generating more non football income from the stadium? 

5 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

What ideas do you have for increasing non football income streams? 

The stadium sits adjacent to the A9 a route which is used by thousands of caravans and motor homes every week. 

Perth in itself is an attractive destination but add the convienience of a unique caravan and motor home camp site right on the A9 then McD could be a superb stop over. 

The grounds of the stadium are largely unused through the summer and a work around could easily be found for match days in April and August/September. 

With the space available on 3 sides of the AstroTurf you could probably accommodate up to 100 pitches. 

At £30 per night high season and £25 on other nights the pitch fees alone could generate over £20,000 per week. 

Add in having 2 to 300 people a night looking for food and drink and the potential revenue from unique marketing materials, SJFC camp site polo shirts, etc and other potential revenue streams then this could produce significant new revenue. 

For the May and August Bank Holiday weekends I would suggest an on site SJFC beer festival again increasing revenue. 

SJFC catering could supply the onsite catering both carry out and restaurant food. 

The bar could be opened for the thirsty travellers again generating profits. 

Cost wise electric hook ups would need to be installed. Along with drinking water supply chemical waste disposal. Fire extinguishers and pitches marked out. 

May have to do something to allow for awning pegs can't remember how much is tarmaced but that could be done. 

Toilet and shower facilities already exist on site although may need some adaption. 

Ticket office can be used for checking in etc. 

Would need to be a warden on site, they normally provide their own mobile accommodation. 

With restaurant catering and bar open more regularly it could also be utilised by the people of Perth shire as well as saints fans home to visit family etc in the summer. 

With a bit of work this type of facility could really boost saints income. 

What are your thoughts on generating more non football income from the stadium? 

Kim Jong Broon, spend money, ha ha ha ha ha ha 

On 8/19/2019 at 11:10 AM, Pat McGroin said:

Yes, very much the same. Absolutely no reason the club couldn’t be taking £40-50 off each paying adult on most home games if they had stuff on for a few hours beforehand...

Food, drinks, merchandise etc.

The Muirton Suite is about drab as it gets. It’s like a school dinner hall and I forget that the club shop is there half the time. 

It's a football stadium, so guess it is what it is.... 

I'd love to see a stage in one of the bars where the player of the match can be "interviewed" live ....which is a way to get the fans to stay behind, spend money and get "more" of the game.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Is there anyone within SJFC that the fans respect that could be the spokesperson to unite and motivate the support? 

The SLO is second to none

On 8/16/2019 at 8:42 PM, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

FCU have left the building, other similar sized clubs seem to have a loyal and vocal teenager support what is your plan to attract the next generation of supporters? 

They were taken to task for causing bother. It was not handled brilliantly, but the club were doing what they had to do.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:26 PM, Blues Brother said:

Have you lost interest in the wellbeing of this club and are you in negotiations with a potential buyer

Question for you: WHO WOULD YOU SUGGEST BUY SAINTS????

On 8/16/2019 at 11:12 PM, Blues Brother said:

How much revenue do you expect to lose if we get relegated?

30-40% - so around £2.5m

On 8/17/2019 at 3:07 AM, Farmer Saint said:

I suspect Bruce Mc Dairmid and Asdas are nearer the truth on that one.  Anyway, fire away all you proper supporters.  After all it is called a forum.

I used to be of the same mindset, that the Browns were "handed" St Johnstone and have benefited as a family and personally from owning it. Of course they have, and they earned that right as a family - three generations worth, committed to the local sports team. Someone has had to run it. They have, and have done an amazing job in times where football has gone from basic business to a professional set up. 

I don't have a question for Brown. But think he will read this forum, and some of the things posted are useful, some nonsense. But that's the nature of football eh....we've all got an opinion.....and an arsehole :)

MON THE SAINTS

5 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Why can't every over 18 home fan be given a ticket for the draw for free hospitality for 4, surely that would be a better way to promote this exciting new initiative recognising that all fans are equally important. 

Whatever club it is, some fans are more equal than others.

32 minutes ago, andrew said:

Whatever club it is, some fans are more equal than others.

This is a good initiative where all fans could have been treated the same. 

Ticket to the fan with other half in the draw. Draw on pitch at half time creating some excitement, even better if the winner is allowed onto the pitch to pick up their winning voucher.