Player contracts and transfers

David123

I thought Nigel was keen to talk contracts after the cup final too?  Seems strange news, unless TW has new names up his sleeve.

I can't see it either, unless he and Cregg have turned down new contracts. Would be really disappointed to lose them both, but we are well covered in those positions. If Nigel does leave, I'd imagine he's well paid so that would boost our budget a bit too I'd imagine.

I must be one of the few who really hope we get Dunne permanently.Not saying I'd pay a fee, but a fully fit Dunne would be a great asset, and I think he'd take Muzz's place even if Muzz was fit in TW's team.But there's room for both

I'd love it if we pulled out all the stops and signed Dunne permanently. No nonsense player who is not afraid to get stuck in and no danger of us being out muscled in the middle of the park with him in our team.

If Cregg has been released then either the club a) is confident that Muzz will have a good pre-season and be fully fit for the new season, B) Dunne is a realistic transfer option or c) a new defensively minded midfielder is on the cards.

Not astonished that Hasselbaink has been let go. he's a good, nippy wee player but he isn't getting ahead of Mclean or Mayzo at the moment and we aren't the sort of club that will keep him at the club for a permanent "impact sub" role, that and O' Halloran has made quite the impression in the last quarter of the season.

Iwelumo leaving is unsurprising, he was at the arse end of his career anyway, excellent to have Ando signed up and also Gary Miller who is probably going to get more and more game time as MacKay gets on. Clancy is presumably leaving because of lack of game time, due to his injury problems.

Altogether nothing hugely surprising especially given the scope for youngsters to feature next season, eg: Chris Kane, Scott Brown.

Onwards and upwards as is Football.

Edited by craiginasaintsstrip

Really disappointed if Nigel and Paddy are to leave us. Both were very good squad players. Replacable, yes, but would have liked to have seen both stay.

Just an edit to say its on the official site almost suggesting that Nigel, Paddy, Chris & Clancy haven't been offered contracts to stay.....very surprised by that if I'm reading it correctly.

Edited by MrBored

I would expect that Tommy would wish to keep James Dunne therefore (he has already said he and the player would both like him to be at Saints next season) plus Muzz returning AND the obvious potential he has with Scott Brown, Caddis and Thomson.  

Alongside MacDonald, Millar, Wotherspoon, O'Halloran and Croft, that's healthy competition for 4 starting places in anyone's book.  I can kind of see why he let Cregg and Nigel go.

Banks staying is valuable, as it allows Clark to get more experience on loan I expect.

Really pleased Gary Miller has agreed to stay, as I thought he might want away for more game time (like Maybury - great cover but spending a lot of time on the bench isn't fun).

Unlike previous seasons though, we know where we stand now.  Only really Dunne and Muzz with question marks.  The nucleus of the squad for next season is fixed earlier than I can ever remember happening in the past.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Absolutely gutted about wee Nigel. Is there a player like him in Scottish Football? Huge talent. I love seeing defenders 3 times his size try to push him off the ball. And how many times has he turned a game? Celtic at home recently was an example. Van Dijk and Ambrose shat a brick when he came on.