Player contracts and transfers

David123

Do folk really think that players will be sitting down less than a week before a European tie discussing the players bonus.

Bonuses will have been sorted out weeks ago. And if anyone reads papers today you will see Dave McKay talking about the first half. If there had been an issue where the players felt they were being shafted then it would be in the paper, not necessarily as a direct quote but as a side topic. Also Steve Brown was on holiday came back and his manager was off due to a bereavement and during this they are allegedly cutting players bonuses. I doubt it..

The way SB has been doing his stuff lately, or should I say.? "Not doing "nothing would surprise me.!

Edited by croc

Over the last couple of weeks both Mackay & Scobbie made comments about the small size of the squad & expressed hopes that 2 or 3 players would be brought in. Mackay said he was surprised after the money we brought in last season that there'd be no new recruits. This week Callum Davidson said May wouldn't be risked due to the 'small squad' size. If TW knew there was zero chance of making new signings why did he bring in Goodwillie to have a look at him. After the cup final SB said TW would be given a 2 year extension asap & TW said he'd be happy to stay for years. Since then there's been a virtual silence on the matter. Our performance against Trnava was very poor which both TW & Mackay admitted after the game. We had 15500 at the 2 Europa games at McD with everyone paying to attend - can't TW have access to some of this cash at least? When Muzz returns he may take a while to get back to his peak assuming he doesn't have any long term affects from his injury. Brown looks like he can step up into the 1st team, Caddis I'm not so sure & Kane I don't think is ready yet.

Like your optimism but when May goes so will the optimism because over 20 league goals will not be replaced and that will have its own repercussions in the league and cups.

Incholm's right. McLean was left isolated against Trnava, O'Halloran takes players on but doesn't seem to know whether to pass or shoot & Kane isn't ready for the 1st team. Without May our attack was too easily stifled.

The club seem determined to sell Stevie May this summer. How else can you interprate  his contract situation? As far back as April he was wanting to stay on with terms not being a problem, Of course if the club signed him on a new deal it would knock the rotherhams of this world out of the equation and lessen the chances of him being sold now. Bizarre logic but that's St Johnstone this summer.

Scott1884 - Scott Brown does'nt need to step up to the firstt team as he is already in the first team. Apart from his mistake against Spartak he has been pretty solid for us against decent Europa League opponents. At 19 he still has a lot to learn and equally I'm sure he still has a lot to give. He even managed to score a goal against the eventual champions Celtic so more than capable of retaining his place in our squad.

Regarding Caddis he has over a dozen first team appearances for Saints and has also scored against Celtic and scored whilst out on loan with Arbroath, Cowdenbeath and Alloa, he has made more first team appearances than Scott Brown and probably deserves his chance to retain his place following his loans spells.

Chris Kane has only made a couple of first team appearances for Saints, but he has certainly matched Stevie May's goal scoring feats whilst out on loan to Dumbarton, again he's 19 and is a player knocking on the door for regular first team football and richly deserves his place in our squad. 

I hope for both Saints and these players sake they are all given first team game time.....makes me quite positive for the future knowing that these players and others are coming through.

Our players looked knackered after 2 European games and with Calum Davidson commenting on having a lack of striking options something needs to hw done. I may be going out on a limb here but i know Steve brown was desperate for us to win a trophy and now that we have is he feeling that he doesn't need to invest much in the squad this season/near future? Or is he just out of his depth with being the boss?

or am i just being a dafty..?

Edited by Saint.Justin

Why not try and bring players up on loan from the English Premiership. Two of the best footballers I have seen at Mcdiarmid were Mehdi Abeid and Mark Connolly so players of that quality would be welcome.

The same Mark Connolly who only ever played in one game and was subbed at half time he was so bad. The same Mark Connolly who was in the papers begging for a chance, not because he wanted one, but because he's a Celtic fan and wanted to play against Rangers...

Abeid I agree with though, he was utterly ****ing tremendous in every way.

Here is a rough but I think fairly accurate estimate of the cash generated by the club over the last few weeks up to and including the Celtic home game.

Season tickets 400.000

Euro games.Taking an average of 20.00 per head x 15,500 this would generate revenue of 310,000

The home game against Celtic.Gate - season tickets +TV money 150,000

Europa  League prize money 115,000 I have only included the prize money for the third qualifying round as round two gets 100,00 and I an not sure

if this is a single payment or cumulative.

This would give a total of just under 1,000,000 and I have not even included hospitalitycatering,etc.

We have a large cash reserve in the bank, made a profit last season due to our cup run and have reduced the first team squad by 5 senior players.

Why has the player budget been cut ?

P.S.please feel free to put me right on anything that I have got wrong or feel equally free to dismiss my lunatic raving completely.

Here is a rough but I think fairly accurate estimate of the cash generated by the club over the last few weeks up to and including the Celtic home game.

Season tickets 400.000

Euro games.Taking an average of 20.00 per head x 15,500 this would generate revenue of 310,000

The home game against Celtic.Gate - season tickets +TV money 150,000

Europa  League prize money 115,000 I have only included the prize money for the third qualifying round as round two gets 100,00 and I an not sure

if this is a single payment or cumulative.

This would give a total of just under 1,000,000 and I have not even included hospitalitycatering,etc.

We have a large cash reserve in the bank, made a profit last season due to our cup run and have reduced the first team squad by 5 senior players.

Why has the player budget been cut ?

P.S.please feel free to put me right on anything that I have got wrong or feel equally free to dismiss my lunatic raving completely.

I was speaking yesterday to a friend who edits for BBC Scotland.  From his perspective he is baffled as to what has been happening - Tommy Wright, Stevie May, no signings. 

I knew all of this of course, however It was just sad to hear from the perspective of someone with no connection with the club.

Of course there expenses that goes without saying I did not add that as I was only calculating revenue generated.

I have far too much respect for WAPers to patronise you with phrases like "remember that these are gross figures"

My reason for posting this is that even - expense's etc we are in a very healthy financial position and that the cutbacks

are a matter of choice not a necessity. We are choosing to spend it elsewhere and this leaves us short of one or two

senior players not a huge ask on the managers part.This would still leave plenty of room for young players to develop

over the season without putting too much pressure on them to produce too quickly.

The thing is SB is choosing infrastructure over the actual playing staff . Sure the infrastructure needs updating/upkeeping and we may not have another year where we actually make a profit , but it is a dangerous game to play especially when there were so many options to increase fan base and revenue because of the playing staffs success.

Time will tell if SB is right but he has totally ripped the arse out of the feelgood factor that has been present since May 17 . Also if he sells Stevie May for anything under 1 million up front he deserves everything coming his way .

Would doubt the Ryder Cup park and ride will make much of a difference to £400K. 

4 days car park hire, possibly £10-£15K I would imagine.

Still good money if it is that much for really hiring out your car park.

Cagey I don't know how much income they make given the price and as someone said there are 3 or 4 other new Astros in Perth that will be more affordable.

The cost maybe partly paid for by the Ryder cup car park but not sure.