Player contracts and transfers

David123

Scott1884 - Scott Brown does'nt need to step up to the firstt team as he is already in the first team. Apart from his mistake against Spartak he has been pretty solid for us against decent Europa League opponents. At 19 he still has a lot to learn and equally I'm sure he still has a lot to give. He even managed to score a goal against the eventual champions Celtic so more than capable of retaining his place in our squad.

Regarding Caddis he has over a dozen first team appearances for Saints and has also scored against Celtic and scored whilst out on loan with Arbroath, Cowdenbeath and Alloa, he has made more first team appearances than Scott Brown and probably deserves his chance to retain his place following his loans spells.

Chris Kane has only made a couple of first team appearances for Saints, but he has certainly matched Stevie May's goal scoring feats whilst out on loan to Dumbarton, again he's 19 and is a player knocking on the door for regular first team football and richly deserves his place in our squad. 

I hope for both Saints and these players sake they are all given first team game time.....makes me quite positive for the future knowing that these players and others are coming through.

Would Scott Brown be in the 1st team if Muzz was available? As I said he's proved in the games he's played that he can step up to the plate if asked (Steven Doris scored against Celtic but did FA when he signed for Dundee last season). Caddis is a squad player but no more as yet if everyone is available. Kane did well at Dumbarton but May scored 26 goals in a struggling Hamilton side. TW said Kane won't go out on loan as we haven't signed any more forwards which sounds to me like he would have if we had signed another forward & kept May. IMO he isn't ready for the 1st team yet.

Edited by Scott1884

Some brighter news re players. Muzz now in full training and looking to play in Under 20 matches so hopefully he isn't too far away.

Something strange happened yesterday. At the end of the warm ups he spoke to the physio. They went over to corner flag. Muzz stood there for a while after physio & players went off. He had a wee run up byline then came in. He got applause from crowd but didn't give a wave. Strange !.

Something strange happened yesterday. At the end of the warm ups he spoke to the physio. They went over to corner flag. Muzz stood there for a while after physio & players went off. He had a wee run up byline then came in. He got applause from crowd but didn't give a wave. Strange !.

He clapped back...

Some brighter news re players. Muzz now in full training and looking to play in Under 20 matches so hopefully he isn't too far away.

I think he's a long way from being ready to play. Sitting along from us during the game yesterday and his leg was obviously very painful.

Scott1884 – In answer to your question  “would Scott Brown be in the 1st team if Muzz was available” then yes I believe he would.

My reason/s for this is due to the fact St Johnstone began negotiations in December 2012 with several players regarding contract extensions.

In December 2012 Murray Davidson was offered a 2 year deal, but refused this as his intention was to seek a career move to an English club and Liam Craig had also advised that he would not renew his contract at the end of the season, preferring to sign a pre-contract with Hibs (We all know how that one ended out!). Murray Davidson’s contract took him through until the end of season 2012-13 and in July 2013 he left Saints following our 2 nil victory over Motherwell which secured our Europa League place.

Saints were in contact with Bradford City with a view to signing Scott Brown in July 2013 and were clearly intent on securing younger players and possibly on less expensive contracts than Murray Davidson’s, however they did leave the door open for Murray to return if he was not successful in seeking a move to English football. Scott Brown signed for Saints in August 2013 on a permanent deal at the age of 18, clearly for future potential. His current contract extends past Murray Davidson's so It is now up to Murray Davidson to claim his place, once he returns to full fitness!

You stated Doris although scoring against Celtic had failed at Dundee.....didn’t really know the player, but if he signed for Dundee perhaps that was the problem!

Regarding Liam Caddis – He has been on loan in previous seasons to Arbroath, Cowdenbeath and Alloa making over 30 appearances and has featured in over a dozen 1st team games for Saints already. At 20 years old he is certainly ready for his chance to cement his starting place ahead of our older players and I would much prefer him to play ahead of a few of our current midfielders. Tommy has shown that he intends promoting him to 1st team this season, having played him in our Europa League fixtures.

Chris Kane - I agree still has to prove he can be as prolific a scorer as Stevie May at 1st team level. Having been on loan last season to Dumbarton, Kane’s scoring was comparable to May’s and at 19 he has also been introduced to our squad at an early age. Tommy may have wanted to loan him out for another season, but clearly he believes Kane could achieve exactly what May has following his introduction in our Europa League fixtures last season! I bet no-one believed May would do so well so soon!

Following Steve Brown’s rallying call last pre-season and again following our Scottish Cup win. It is clear that the idea is to reduce expense, (younger players, cheaper contracts) whilst increasing revenue (more season tickets, advertising revenue and merchandise sales) If proof is needed that we are not going to sign anyone soon, then this is it!...the introduction of these players to our 1st team cannot come quick enough for me! Considering their ages if they’re good enough then they’re old enough.    

Michael Gardyne has been released, a busy and aggressive player who IMO would fit into TW's style of football. Midge never really got a chance at Tannadice, I doubt he would be difficult to deal with.

Seeing as we can't 'afford' anyone else, we should offer him £0 per week for the next 3 years.

I have read with interest the posts regarding Brown, Caddis and Kane. Questions asked; Are they good enough and are they old enough.

Having watched them I have come to these conclusions:

Kane should be loaned out where he would get more experience at a lower level and play regularly this would help him to develop physically and as a goal scorer. I feel the quality of defenders he will face in the Premiership may be at this time too good for him and he would struggle to get goals.

Caddis is raw talent and again I believe he is not ready for first team football. He too should be loaned out where he also would get regular football and continue to learn his trade. This additional year on loan would greatly assist his development.

Brown I believe is ready to get his chance in the first team squad. Ideally he would be used against the bottom six teams this would allow him to develop and give him confidence to progress to this level. In my opinion he would struggle against the better and old heads in the midfield of Celtic, Aberdeen etc.

However this is not and ideal world and at this moment in time we need all three to supplement our inadequate squad. Kane will play occasionally and he will be the player we will look to come off the bench and change the game up front, when we are behind or seeking a victory. Caddis will be in the same boat as the box to box midfielder who will be exposed by the quality of players he will be playing against. Brown will find himself starting the majority of games and could suffer a lack of confidence when his youth and inexperience is exposed against the better teams in the league.

Like most this is my opinion and hope I am proved wrong and all three light up the Premier league this season.

Edited by Inchcolm

Michael Gardyne has been released, a busy and aggressive player who IMO would fit into TW's style of football. Midge never really got a chance at Tannadice, I doubt he would be difficult to deal with.

I've liked Gardyne. Decent player who's got a bit if skill and pace.

I'm just confused we keep having trialist players when the chairman says "no more players"

Can't tell me these guys are training and playing with a club knowing there's no chance.

I'd say sign Clarkson, Millar and Gardyne. But unless I win the lottery to fund the wages, it ain't gonna happen.

I've liked Gardyne. Decent player who's got a bit if skill and pace.

I'm just confused we keep having trialist players when the chairman says "no more players"

Can't tell me these guys are training and playing with a club knowing there's no chance.

I'd say sign Clarkson, Millar and Gardyne. But unless I win the lottery to fund the wages, it ain't gonna happen.

Kelly clarkson?

Players that aren't good enough for Kilmarnock (Clarkson and Gardyne), Hamilton (Millar) and Motherwell (Clarkson again) shouldn't be good enough for us. I'd rather we didn't bother if that's the route we're taking to bring in new players.

There is better out there. People say the quality at this time of year isn't there. It is. We signed Steven Maclean on the 1st of September a couple of years ago and he's one of our best players. We signed Lee Croft in November last year, Sanel Jahic (who had a massive following for some reason) in October/November time last year too.

I'd really rather we didn't just settle for shite like that just because they're the first free players we've stumbled across and they'll probably come cheap.

Going from targetting Goodwillie, Craig and Dunne to Clarkson, Gardyne and Millar? That's a huge drop in quality. Adding these guys and losing May is a recipe for disaster.

Players that aren't good enough for Kilmarnock (Clarkson and Gardyne), Hamilton (Millar) and Motherwell (Clarkson again) shouldn't be good enough for us. I'd rather we didn't bother if that's the route we're taking to bring in new players.

There is better out there. People say the quality at this time of year isn't there. It is. We signed Steven Maclean on the 1st of September a couple of years ago and he's one of our best players. We signed Lee Croft in November last year, Sanel Jahic (who had a massive following for some reason) in October/November time last year too.

I'd really rather we didn't just settle for shite like that just because they're the first free players we've stumbled across and they'll probably come cheap.

Going from targetting Goodwillie, Craig and Dunne to Clarkson, Gardyne and Millar? That's a huge drop in quality. Adding these guys and losing May is a recipe for disaster.

Who's left then?

Most decent players are with new clubs now.

Just because a player leaves a club doesn't mean they are crap. Could be the club are cost cutting like us.

We lost signing Goodwillie.

Were we even in for Craig?? Never offered him anything as Hibs were letting him go for free.

There's no superb players still on a free.

Caddis is raw talent and again I believe he is not ready for first team football. He too should be loaned out where he also would get regular football and continue to learn his trade. This additional year on loan would greatly assist his development.

Caddis seems to have been heading out on loan 'to get experience' for years now, though, so this will surely be a very important season for him. We've seen brief flashes of what he can do in the past, but it sounds like he'll now get a proper chance in the first team and I hope he can step up. If he's not at the level that we need by this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he was off at the end of the season.

Who's left then?

Most decent players are with new clubs now.

Just because a player leaves a club doesn't mean they are crap. Could be the club are cost cutting like us.

We lost signing Goodwillie.

Were we even in for Craig?? Never offered him anything as Hibs were letting him go for free.

There's no superb players still on a free.

Clarkson and Millar had trials at these clubs over the summer and deemed him not good enough. Bearing in mind Motherwell have no strikers other than Sutton, that's quite an indictment. Millar couldn't get a contract for newly promoted Hamilton Accies because, again, he wasn't good enough. Gardyne spent the season on loan at Kilmarnock last season. He scored 1 goal and made no assists from an attacking midfield position.

Off the top of my head, I know that James McFadden and (I think) Fran Sandaza are still available. Most clubs this summer have released more than they've signed and there's a few players deemed 'surplus to requirements' or are available for loan at much bigger clubs than us.

We shouldn't be settling for dross just because it's August. There's quality out there if we look and don't panic.

Caddis seems to have been heading out on loan 'to get experience' for years now, though, so this will surely be a very important season for him. We've seen brief flashes of what he can do in the past, but it sounds like he'll now get a proper chance in the first team and I hope he can step up. If he's not at the level that we need by this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he was off at the end of the season.

Think you will find he will surprise you, he needs a decent run in the team, hope he plays against tics, he will score against them, Roll on next year.