Player contracts and transfers

David123

For anyone interested, here's a list of free agents in the UK (most of whom released from English clubs).

Still some decent players in amongst it - Simon Lappin, Cameron Park and Stephen Pearson instantly stick out - all released by clubs down south who may be tempted to come back up the road.

http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist/listedplayers/sortbydate/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/6/

Think you will find he will surprise you, he needs a decent run in the team, hope he plays against tics, he will score against them, Roll on next year.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he does well, three different managers (Del, Lomas & Tommy) wouldn't have kept him around for so long if there wasn't some kind of potential in there! I was disagreeing with Inchcolm's thought that he needed to go back out on loan, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a run in the first team.

I have read with interest the posts regarding Brown, Caddis and Kane. Questions asked; Are they good enough and are they old enough.

Having watched them I have come to these conclusions:

Kane should be loaned out where he would get more experience at a lower level and play regularly this would help him to develop physically and as a goal scorer. I feel the quality of defenders he will face in the Premiership may be at this time too good for him and he would struggle to get goals.

Caddis is raw talent and again I believe he is not ready for first team football. He too should be loaned out where he also would get regular football and continue to learn his trade. This additional year on loan would greatly assist his development.

Brown I believe is ready to get his chance in the first team squad. Ideally he would be used against the bottom six teams this would allow him to develop and give him confidence to progress to this level. In my opinion he would struggle against the better and old heads in the midfield of Celtic, Aberdeen etc.

However this is not and ideal world and at this moment in time we need all three to supplement our inadequate squad. Kane will play occasionally and he will be the player we will look to come off the bench and change the game up front, when we are behind or seeking a victory. Caddis will be in the same boat as the box to box midfielder who will be exposed by the quality of players he will be playing against. Brown will find himself starting the majority of games and could suffer a lack of confidence when his youth and inexperience is exposed against the better teams in the league.

Like most this is my opinion and hope I am proved wrong and all three light up the Premier league this season.

Cheers for that .

Clarkson and Millar had trials at these clubs over the summer and deemed him not good enough. Bearing in mind Motherwell have no strikers other than Sutton, that's quite an indictment. Millar couldn't get a contract for newly promoted Hamilton Accies because, again, he wasn't good enough. Gardyne spent the season on loan at Kilmarnock last season. He scored 1 goal and made no assists from an attacking midfield position.

Off the top of my head, I know that James McFadden and (I think) Fran Sandaza are still available. Most clubs this summer have released more than they've signed and there's a few players deemed 'surplus to requirements' or are available for loan at much bigger clubs than us.

We shouldn't be settling for dross just because it's August. There's quality out there if we look and don't panic.

I think Sandaza signed for Girona, Kyle.

Shame, would have loved to have seen him back at Saints.

Players that aren't good enough for Kilmarnock (Clarkson and Gardyne), Hamilton (Millar) and Motherwell (Clarkson again) shouldn't be good enough for us. I'd rather we didn't bother if that's the route we're taking to bring in new players.

There is better out there. People say the quality at this time of year isn't there. It is. We signed Steven Maclean on the 1st of September a couple of years ago and he's one of our best players. We signed Lee Croft in November last year, Sanel Jahic (who had a massive following for some reason) in October/November time last year too.

I'd really rather we didn't just settle for shite like that just because they're the first free players we've stumbled across and they'll probably come cheap.

Going from targetting Goodwillie, Craig and Dunne to Clarkson, Gardyne and Millar? That's a huge drop in quality. Adding these guys and losing May is a recipe for disaster.

I take your point Kyle, but Midge was a Houston signing, and obviously Jmac did not fancy him, and he never really got a chance, ended up on loan at Killie who were in free fall.  I remember when we signed John Rankin many, if not most United fans felt a player who was not required at a pyss poor Hibs side should not be at Dundee United, he was instantly one of the first names on the team sheet, and remains so.  Gardyne is local, and a very useful player who is certainly of SPL standard, you know what your getting, and still only 25.  Millar is much the same, I was always impressed by him when he played, but never got a run of games due to injury and managerial change.

IMO Mc Fadden would be a disaster, expensive and a bit of a luxury player who does not contribute enough when not in possession, not good for TW's teams, whose best performances last season were as a well drilled unit defending from the front, not McFadden's game at all!

Edited by Smarmy Arab

I take your point Kyle, but Midge was a Houston signing, and obviously Jmac did not fancy him, and he never really got a chance, ended up on loan at Killie who were in free fall.  I remember when we signed John Rankin many, if not most United fans felt a player who was not required at a pyss poor Hibs side should not be at Dundee United, he was instantly one of the first names on the team sheet, and remains so.  Gardyne is local, and a very useful player who is certainly of SPL standard, you know what your getting, and still only 25.  Millar is much the same, I was always impressed by him when he played, but never got a run of games due to injury and managerial change.

Gardyne did well for Ross County and I don't think he's necessarily a bad player. We've already got Wotherspoon, Croft and O'Halloran who I'd say play in his position and are better than him though. If we're targetting players, it really needs to be a striker (or two) and a left sided midfielder. Millar would be coming into the club in a position where we're fairly well covered - Chris Millar, Brown, Davidson, McDonald and Caddis. I can't see him shifting any of those guys, particularly the senior players.

Of the 3 listed, I would probably take a gamble on Gardyne of the 3. Millar - no and Clarkson - definitely no.

Just personal opinion - if they do sign, I'll get behind them but I do think there's better fits (and players) out there for us.

I think Sandaza signed for Girona, Kyle.

Shame, would have loved to have seen him back at Saints.

According to the Daily Record and Wikipedia, both reknowned for being accurate reporters of fact, Sandaza is a free agent after leaving Deportivo Luga, who are a pretty mediocre Spanish 2nd division side. Edited by Saintdunc

For anyone interested, here's a list of free agents in the UK (most of whom released from English clubs).

Still some decent players in amongst it - Simon Lappin, Cameron Park and Stephen Pearson instantly stick out - all released by clubs down south who may be tempted to come back up the road.

http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist/listedplayers/sortbydate/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/6/

There are some Football Manager superstars in that list.

That James Poole that played for Hartlepool was decent when I saw him play for Pools a season or two ago and there's a few Middlesborough youth players that if we were to get anyone would be worth a look.

I am pretty sure that Sandaza has signed for another club recently. Think of the three names being talked about I would opt for Gardyne, Millar - No and Clarkson - No. Biut as others have said I would support them if they were to appear in a Saints shirt.

at 800k or less being talked about has SB not thought that a) May signed up for 3 years would be worth well into 7 figures and b ) maybe Saints without May will earn £800k less in the next couple of seasons and keeping May would pay for itself ffs

You assume a) May is willing to sign a contract. B) that the club can't organise replacements who will get us up near where we would be with May.

Have a feeling this a just part of the family business standards. There has obviously been a disagreement in the new contract (I'd assume wage demands). 'No player is bigger than the club' and the Browns won't pay over what they see as a fair wage. Think Tommy kinda hinted at something like that after the Luzcern game.

IF (not saying this is the case) May or Mays agent is demanding he gets paid a lot more than the rest of the squad then brown will have drawn a line under it and will try to sell him for as much as he can get. Which is understandable, say we sign May on a 3 year deal with wages doubling or tripling out highest earner... And he gets injured or no higher bids come in.... The clubs doesn't risk that sort of money.

Just because May, the Manager and the club want a new contract signed doesn't mean they are all talking about the same price range. If we can't get the contract signed (which looks the case), then Brown HAS to sell to the highest bidder ASAP and Rotherham are the ONLY serious bidders at the moment.

I hope I am wrong but I think he'll be away by next week. I'm not sticking up for Brown or May. Just the way I see things.

I thought May would have been long gone by now to make room on the plane to Slovakia for some more of SB's old pals

Brown was going to punt him before Thursday, but, his spokesman aka Ghostie withdrew his services, so that freed up an extra four seats on the flight.

Being completely serious for a brief second. I wouldn't be too disappointed if we signed Millar and Clarkson as back up.

Millar seems like pretty much the same player as Cregg, and you could argue as much as you want about the pointlessness of releasing one and then signing the other, but having one of them is better than nothing. 

Clarkson would be a good option as third choice also. He's experienced, cheap and would probably be willing to play that back up role. His willingness to track back and try and bring others into play would be more useful than either Fallon or Iwelumo would be, and it would allow Kane to go out on loan again.

IF we sell May, and then signed Cregg/Millar, Clarkson and another striker who'll be first choice/left winger who'll be first choice, then I'd be quite happy with where we stand to be honest. The biggest problem would be finding a first choice striker or left winger, but I wouldn't be adverse to looking at the loan market for that

Being completely serious for a brief second. I wouldn't be too disappointed if we signed Millar and Clarkson as back up.

Millar seems like pretty much the same player as Cregg, and you could argue as much as you want about the pointlessness of releasing one and then signing the other, but having one of them is better than nothing.

Clarkson would be a good option as third choice also. He's experienced, cheap and would probably be willing to play that back up role. His willingness to track back and try and bring others into play would be more useful than either Fallon or Iwelumo would be, and it would allow Kane to go out on loan again.

IF we sell May, and then signed Cregg/Millar, Clarkson and another striker who'll be first choice/left winger who'll be first choice, then I'd be quite happy with where we stand to be honest. The biggest problem would be finding a first choice striker or left winger, but I wouldn't be adverse to looking at the loan market for that

I appreciate that there won't be a huge amount of players available now, but surely there are better players out there than Clarkson. I also appreciate that Clarkson might not be completely fit, but he spent a fair amount of time training with Motherwell weeks ago. He showed nothing on Sunday and his touch was awful. He couldn't complete five yard passes Edited by ajs