Player contracts and transfers

David123

Whilst it would be nice to add Swanson to the squad, it's more important that we address the continued losses we have made in most of the recent years.

Our squad, for a club with our resources, is fairly impressive if you ask me. How many other Scottish teams have the options we have? Whilst injuries have hit us hard at the start of the season- if everyone was fully fit we'd have quite a few decent players sitting in the stands on match day.

Whilst we all wanted creativity added to the team, I think Tommy has the viewpoint that a solid defence will see a team in this league pick up enough points to not only be safe, but probably get top six (see last season). You could have three of our defenders injured and I'd still feel fairly comfortable with the backline. That's a big plus over a long season.

Liam Craig will add goals and assists. It's also up to players such as Spoony, O Halloran and the likes of Sutton, Kane and Cummings to make and score more goals than last season.

Would I love to see us add Swanson? Absolutely, but never at the chance of another loss in a financial year. Our pot of gold won't last forever. The current squad is strong enough and This season Steve Brown has backed his manager in the market.

Worst case scenario and nobody else comes in, might we see Tommy experimenting with Kane a bit if we're lacking a spark? Maybe out a bit wider like the first half at home against Alaskert, or playing slightly behind Sutton alongside Maclean while still making bursts forward. More of a supporting role to keep him playing regularly in the team, developing his game more, but without the pressure of leading the line on his own (which I'm still not convinced he's ready to do yet).

When May was here we saw how he worked well cutting in from the left, giving us the little bit of unpredictability that we were noticeably missing without him here last year. Maybe something similar with MOH doing the same on the other side.

And have we written Cummins off already? I haven't seen anything of him yet so don't really know what kind of player he is. Pace? Delivery? Can he skin a defender?

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

I don't think that's due until next month. I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy's been told he has to wait until that money is in before he can sign any more.

I doubt it, we're not exactly operating hand to mouth. That money will be accounted for on the balance sheet for this year and will probably be used to minimise any predicted losses for the year. Only hope of getting any pace now is a loan signing I reckon.

Oh for God's sake, the May money would have been allocated and effectively spent a year ago. Medium size businesses don't wait for guaranteed cash to arrive and THEN call a meeting and say hum what will we spend this on. It's gone, well spent on players, wages and the Academy Programme.

I'm pretty sure the Academy Programme relies heavily on Sponsors.

Relatively speaking, Saints don't actually put that much into it.

Still wants a wideman

Not given up on Swanson

Scope for one more in before deadline

Today's PA

He is making sure the supporters ire is directed at the chairman and not him

no more signings and still no problems addressed. i told you all this wouild happen

You just keep reading what you want to read pal and ignoring everything that contradicts your ramblings. Transfer window was still open last time I checked.

no more signings and still no problems addressed. i told you all this wouild happen

OMG. I thought we had lost you. Had another few days off on sickie ?.

what signings would you like to be made and what problems would you like to see addressed?

Swanson would complete the team in all honestly. If we can't sign him because we have one player to many on the wage bill you have to question the resignings of Caddis and wright.

Fair enough you've put "if" but it's a pretty pointless hypothetical. Swanson wants to stay at coventry and I doubt caddis' wage makes any real difference

We chased the Euro Dream again last season possibly to the detriment of these Three young players again, I Believe once safety is secured then we should have the young guys playing every game to the end of the season this then gives them playing time if they are to improve (make it at this level) then we should already know this I suppose we have next season to try this out again.     

We chased the Euro Dream again last season possibly to the detriment of these Three young players again, I Believe once safety is secured then we should have the young guys playing every game to the end of the season this then gives them playing time if they are to improve (make it at this level) then we should already know this I suppose we have next season to try this out again.     

I hope we do - though I'm not sure we will. As an aside it was interesting to look back through an old Rothmans to see Paul Sturrock's use of youngsters in the late 1990s. An 18-year-old Danny Griffin and a 19-year-old Stuart McCluskey as regular centre backs! I suppose the loan market wasn't as established then, so to give players the chance, you really had to play them. Credit to Sturrock that we did: and it didn't do us any harm.

Swanson would complete the team in all honestly. If we can't sign him because we have one player to many on the wage bill you have to question the resignings of Caddis and wright.

And if we'd released Wright and Caddis and Coventry decided they wanted to keep Swanson then you'd question why the players were released. 

Better safe than sorry has got us this far.

I hope we do - though I'm not sure we will. As an aside it was interesting to look back through an old Rothmans to see Paul Sturrock's use of youngsters in the late 1990s. An 18-year-old Danny Griffin and a 19-year-old Stuart McCluskey as regular centre backs! I suppose the loan market wasn't as established then, so to give players the chance, you really had to play them. Credit to Sturrock that we did: and it didn't do us any harm.

He had the luxury having been able to watch the pair of them play together in the reserve team against plenty of first team opposition players and being able to judge their progress at a reasonable level.