Player contracts and transfers

David123

its sad that danny swansons has somehow become our one and only hope to get anywhere in this league. hes not even that good. he clearly wont be signing for us or he would have done by now

He likely only got into the Country this morning. Negotiations generally seem to take a couple of days at the least, and add in with the fact he's having to move country it might take even longer. I'd be surprised if anything was really announced by the start of next week. His performances last season warrant the desire to see him signed, as he really was what we'd been missing.

As Kyle said hes had a few well documented problems mentally, and having a stable, solid club with a manager and team mates who want him there could be an absolutely massive bargaining chip, as he seems to simply wanting to settle down for a couple of years and start enjoying life again.

I'd still be pretty surprised if he didnt end up with us. Although theres always that nagging doubt that comes with supporting Saints.

I do wish people wouldnt idly speculate and claim it as fact though when dealing with transfers, and I also wish people would simply come on here with the sole purpose of winding up as many people as they can or spreading negativity.

I do wish people wouldnt idly speculate and claim it as fact though when dealing with transfers

There's a constant non-stop game of one-upmanship on here at the moment. Everyone seems to want to show that they're a better fan than the next person, and feel the need to prove that they're more ITK, or that their source is better because he's told them exactly what the manager/chairman/players/mascots/physios/tea ladies/super saint/toilet cleaners/dotty bar makers are thinking before they've even actually thought it.

My Bullshitometer3000 is close to overheating after clocking the last few days of WAP transfer chat :laugh:

Had hoped one of the night editors at the courier who tweets front and back pages was on tonight - as that would have told us. There was one time previously, and I want to say it was to do with Stevie May, that couple of the courier sports writers tweeted to say be good news for Saints fans tomorrow - and only came out when the back page was tweeted at the back of 11, and the post went on the club website at 9am. 

This thread is tough reading, Swanson is not Zidane! He's not our saviour, he'll be a squad player at any spl team.  I'm amazed at the positive comments on him, baring in mind  he was targeted for abuse from day 1 at Queens... I dont think he did enough for us but gave him the benefit of doubt due to stale fitness. do we need him now, I'm undecided. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for Kilmarnock or Partick. ( my tips for bottom 2)

This from the Courier website.

"St Johnstone are still hoping to sign Danny Swanson.

The Perth club had been close to securing the former Dundee United and Peterborough winger on a season-long loan deal from Coventry City.

But a deadline day agreement which secured Swanson’s release from City was an unexpected twist, and now the 28-year-old is weighing up his options.

As he is a free agent there is no rush for him to find a new employer.

Swanson scored twice in 10 appearances for Saints last term after joining on loan in January, the highlight being a long-range winner against Celtic at Parkhead.

Manager Tommy Wright has kept tabs on Swanson over the summer after Coventry manager Tony Mowbray opted to assess him in pre-season.

Talks had been ongoing with Coventry for a second loan spell but now Saints are keen to get their man on a longer term contract.

Meanwhile, Brad Mckay’s SFA hearing takes place today.

The former Hearts man was charged after making a “typical foreigner” comment about Juanma."

Whilst Swanson may not be Bale or Robben there is no doubting he would be a good addition.

We are far to stationary down the left hand side just now- we are a bit like a boxer fighting with one hand- and I believe that makes us an easier team to defend against. Managers have commented on trying to defend against MOH- having too wingers would make their job much more difficult.

I'm surprised anyone wouldn't want him to join and I'd argue he's a lot better than the majority of left sided players I've seen play against us this season.

This thread is tough reading, Swanson is not Zidane! He's not our saviour, he'll be a squad player at any spl team.  I'm amazed at the positive comments on him, baring in mind  he was targeted for abuse from day 1 at Queens... I dont think he did enough for us but gave him the benefit of doubt due to stale fitness. do we need him now, I'm undecided. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for Kilmarnock or Partick. ( my tips for bottom 2)

For a player to be heckled on his debut like Swanson was was pure idiocy on the part of fans - surely you can't be saying that's something to judge him against. If anything, it's more something for him to judge us against. Perhaps that sort of treatment could even be part of the reason he's not leaping at a return?

From what I saw of Swanson, I thought he was a really good player. Not a world-beater and not perfect, but skilful and hard-working with decent pace and the kind of flair our team really lacks. He also plays in a position we desperately need someone in, so personally I'd be delighted to have him back. My main concern is that he'll probably need a bit of time to build up his form and sharpness again, and that may frustrate those in the crowd who'll unrealistically expect him to pick up where he left off at the end of last season.

TBH I'm now totally bored with the Swanson situation. If he signs then great but it's looking less and less likely so I'm switching off from all of it  and going to watch Scotland game!

Good idea. I'm off to the pub to watch it.

I expect some transfer news on my return. (Naw, not the missus giving me a free transfer) :wink: