Player contracts and transfers

David123

For a player to be heckled on his debut like Swanson was was pure idiocy on the part of fans - surely you can't be saying that's something to judge him against. If anything, it's more something for him to judge us against. Perhaps that sort of treatment could even be part of the reason he's not leaping at a return?

From what I saw of Swanson, I thought he was a really good player. Not a world-beater and not perfect, but skilful and hard-working with decent pace and the kind of flair our team really lacks. He also plays in a position we desperately need someone in, so personally I'd be delighted to have him back. My main concern is that he'll probably need a bit of time to build up his form and sharpness again, and that may frustrate those in the crowd who'll unrealistically expect him to pick up where he left off at the end of last season.

nobody judged him on that performace, he got booed because he was worse than neymar at diving against us when he played for our derby rivals.he went on to play well for us and turn the fans around. the fact he spoke to saints 1st showed that this had no impact on him hes a professional footballer. its pretty clear the only reason he hasnt signed is due to wages

the fact he spoke to saints 1st showed that this had no impact on him hes a professional footballer. its pretty clear the only reason he hasnt signed is due to wages

Whatever he said in the press, the reason he spoke to Saints first is simply that we were keenest to sign him, not as some mark of respect. He's driven - perfectly fairly - by a desire to get as much money as he can. 

I was feeling a bit left out, so I had source on my sausages this morning.

Presumably Swanson would have come to us on loan on those sort of wages, with Coventry picking up the bulk of them. Once he became a free agent, there surely was never any chance of us meeting his demands by ourselves. There must be some money available if there were discussions, especially with Frasier out the door.

Mebbee Tommy gambled on the loan deal getting sorted, and got caught out by the sudden release just as the window closed. Mebbee Plans B and C got scuppered as a result. Mebbee Swanson has left his options open to come back - Miller(ar?) and Davidson both did that in recent years.

Who knows? No business can or will operate entirely in public, and we can't expect to be updated minute by minute. We can only trust that Tommy is putting together a new Plan B as we speak. Sure as hell the agents of free players will be all over him like a rash.

i know this is a football forum, and its precise purpose is for folk to speculate, but I don't understand how some folk got themselves into a mindset where our season depended on signing the lad. He could have got crocked in the first training session.

did you have tossed salad and scrambled eggs for breakfast too? 

Nobody else will come in. I thought and said it a week or so ago believing our business was done as we are always told by the chairman our funds and tight, low or on the limit. 

Piss poor that we have needed a player in a specific position highlighted at the end of last season and we have not got one in. 

3 right backs in the squad?!? Lack of central midfielders. Send all the kids out on loan?!

I suspect someone is getting confused by what they are doing. 

Nobody else will come in. I thought and said it a week or so ago believing our business was done as we are always told by the chairman our funds and tight, low or on the limit. 

Piss poor that we have needed a player in a specific position highlighted at the end of last season and we have not got one in. 

3 right backs in the squad?!? Lack of central midfielders. Send all the kids out on loan?!

I suspect someone is getting confused by what they are doing. 

I don't think we're lacking in central midfielders. Millar and Davidson are the preferred pairing but you've also got Lappin, Craig and Wotherspoon available for those positions. That's certainly not an area where I think we're weak.

I don't think we've got a weak squad at all, and bar some defensive cockups we've played some good football this season. 

It was easy to elevate the Swanson prospect to some kind of holy grail, because he turned our season around last year, but it was always a luxury signing rather than an essential one for me.

We need to stop leaking goals. We need Ando fit far far more than we NEEDED Swanson. 

The only thing that has baffled me, or at least disappointed me is moving Frazer on. He should have been playing in place of Scobbie since the start of the season for as many minutes as he was able IMO.

He spoke to us first as he agreed to, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's got to agree to our deal straight away. He knows what Saints are offering, and if he's now looking at other options then I'm sure ours will still be on the table for a short while.

No different to how most free agent contract negotiations go I'd assume, except there were hopes raised at our end by assuming that speaking to Saints first automatically meant signing.

He spoke to us first as he agreed to, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's got to agree to our deal straight away. He knows what Saints are offering, and if he's now looking at other options then I'm sure ours will still be on the table for a short while.

No different to how most free agent contract negotiations go I'd assume, except there were hopes raised at our end by assuming that speaking to Saints first automatically meant signing.

LAUGH OUT LOUD

as if you have first clue what is happening with swanson

LAUGH OUT LOUD

as if you have first clue what is happening with swanson

I am assuming that if you type l o l on here it automatically posts LAUGH OUT LOUD to try to put people off from using text speak (which is against forum rules).  If this is manually set by the moderators, can it not be set to type 'I AM A GIANT PENIS' instead?  Would be more amusing, and i'm quite sure more effective.

Surprised it has all gone quiet for any player to fill the gap of a position TW has been trying to get filled since May.

There are players out there who could do a job but has the purse strings been tightened now or is there a possibility of a loan or signing up a free agent?

I wonder what the WAP mystery ball produces.