Player contracts and transfers

David123

Personally i think this mini clear out is 6 months too late and the rebuilding should have started 2 summers ago, not wholesale changes but a couple of first team players at a time.

I don't think you can really say the squad (apart from MoH and he wasnt that great the last 2months or when he first arrived) has been weakened, these are players that weren't getting a game anyway so in effect any one of the young guys could have been on the bench.

People on her have been calling for youngsters to get a game for ages, well now's their chance, as a club we are pretty terrible at bringing young guys through into the first team.

I personally dont things are as doom and gloom as many are making out. The only real asset we have lost is Michael O'Halloran, but we have all watched his perfomances in recent weeks and his interview upon joining Sevco last night and it was obvious he was desperate to leave us. We had to cash in on him now. The likes of Caddis and Rodger were never good enough and both were at the stage where they had to get away for the sake of their own career.

There was no point in paying over the odds for the likes of Stefan Scougall last night. We are not going to get relegated and as long as we dont get completely decimated by injury, our squad is more than good enough to try and get a top six finish this season. Hopefully Swanson signs asap and Tommy Wright and the club can put their focus into trying to get the likes of Ryan Dow, Blair Alston and other targets secured on PCA.

Tommy Wright wanted two new players yesterday before the news of MOH had been broken. So even with Swanson coming in we're still well short of what he wanted. It's a very dangerous game for Steve Brown to play when TW isn't short of bigger options if he decides enough is enough. 

Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic potentially in the league next year, we need younger legs in if we're to compete with those sides, I think the dissappointment is coming from some of the names we were linked with, Scougall and Alston especially fit the bill for the sort of players we should be looking at. 

Selling O'Halloran is not the issue, it was obvious that was going to happen, and that was a very good bit of business.

The problem is that there's been no replacement brought in, and no apparent success in strengthening other areas outside of the Swanson possibility. There's been loads of discussion on here this season about Swanson possibly coming back to Saints in January, so that move would have been expected whether Mikey was sold or not.

Brown's basically taken the money for O'Halloran and has not got a clue what to do next.

Someone earlier said we were safe from relegation! I'm not totally convinced by that, others have strengthened we have not. Still let's see what the day brings. Swanson and Higdon in are my bets. 

I'm not convinced by it either, mate.

only 7 points between Saints and Partick Thistle, who are 10th and same number of games. On current form, that's not much.
I think Saints' saving grace will be Kilmarnock's woeful form in the league and the fact that the Arabs are pretty much goners.

IF Saints end up in the playoff spot though (and it's a big IF), then it'll be Hibs or Rangers they play most likely. 

ridiculous reaction from some posters, and the comments on the Saints Facebook page are worse.  2 months ago we were debating whether this was the greatest ever Saints team.  We are on a poor run of form, and yes we probably need some rebuilding, but some folk really need to get an grip.  Tommy will have been busting a gut to bring players in on terms that the club can afford and will continue doing so.

Cashing in on MOH when he wanted away was both necessary and wise. There was only one bidder as far as we know and we did well to tease a third offer out of them with the chairman now confirming our valuation was met. As a club we've always looked after our finances and lived within our means. Not splurging the MOH money on new players continues in that vein and I'm surprised folks are complaining now about a policy that's served us well for many years.

With regard to the lack of other signings. Every transaction needs a willing seller as well as a buyer and if there wasn't anyone on the block with a sensible valuation within our budget then I'm happy we did no business rather than bad business.

Look on the bright side, youth is the future of our team and with so many players coming to the end of their careers we have to give the young lads a chance. This seems like a good time to do it.

On another topic I'd prefer it if Steve B communicated with us more often and gave us more detail of what we've been up to in the transfer window. If there's no money to be spent, or no players to be had for sensible money, or deals fallen through etc. then we the fans need to know that and should be told.

Just going by reports I have seen the young lad we got from Stirling in August is doing well. Not sure of the others that is for the management to consider as they are seeing them day in day out.

Mainstand,can you name the young lad we got from Stirling ?.

What other young guys can we bring in that are not commuted to loans ?.

Absolutely not. There's a happy medium between a poor, poor transfer window and 'we're getting relegated' though. 

That's fair enough. I'm not near the "we're getting relegated" panic wrist-slashing stage yet, but nobody can argue with the fact that we've come out of this window looking decidedly weaker while others around us have strengthened. And we have failed to get targets which at the start of the day were deemed realistic. That responsibility has to lie with Brown.

There are some on here that are happy to just accept whatever happens blindly because we won a cup two years ago.

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts