Player contracts and transfers

David123

To be honest I don't think it's gone as badly as people are making out. We're half a million richer in exchange for a player who'd stopped playing well for us months ago and was probably on the verge of being dropped if he'd stayed. And he hasn't gone to one of our immediate rivals in the league this season, which is a bonus. And I think we've ended up getting the absolute maximum fee for him that we could have hoped for (given that no one else came in with an offer). I think the big mistake - only with the benefit of hindsight - was dragging the Sevco deal out so that we could ensure we had MOH for the semi-final. In the end he was rubbish in the semi, we're out of the cup, and all it achieved was to give ourselves less time to find a replacement. But that was always going to be a gamble, and in the end it's one that didn't pay off.

Now we've got Swanson, who should be a good signing once he's fit. Wouldn't be surprised if we end up bringing in another free agent at some point soon as well. 

What should Saints have done differently?

Totally agree. The ticket issue a[part the club deserve full support on this. No reason to suppose Swanson cannot get back to where he was with us if given game time ... remember the forum calling for him back etc etc. However still need another two out and two in - thought Sutton and Fisher could have been right but not really shown it. Joe on the other hand is looking like he could stay for years.

I dunno. I expect Tommy to have a few ideas. That's why he's being very well paid to pound the phones today, while I'm writing crap on here. I would say though that an almost identical squad couldn't stop scoring goals a few weeks ago, and the best performance during that run of form was against the sheep, with no MOH. Mebbee we should play with a gaping hole every week.

I'm not as worried as some, because with the exception of a couple of months earlier this season I don't really think MOH is actually all that.

It just seems like a short sighted game plan to sell him, try and get one guy in (Scougall), but when that doesn't work out we have no plan B so we're stuck rooting round the bins post-window looking at 30-somethings that once did 'ok'

Tommy I have a bit of faith in, Broon I do not unfortunately.

Do you think the reason we have not rushed out and signed players is that there are none who fits what Big Tommy is looking for... Lets look forward instead of backwards at a player that wanted away from us. Remember that player came to us in similar circumstances as any further free agents.. 

Lets wait and see what develops before we look out pitch forks and look to burning the Broons out of McDiarmid.

Left us because we couldn't pay him enough.......comes back when he's on the dole. 

Cool story..........

Is asking for your contract, still with 18 months to go, to be ripped up so that you are free to join another club on massively reduced money the same as being on the dole?

If MOH departs, we should enquire a loan of Swanson till end of season.

wasn't expecting Swanson to be released by Hearts, but its a good signing. A month to get up to match fitness.  He really enjoyed his time here last time round so hope he finds his inner happiness again.

Swanson is a 30 year old fat wee bawbag who flopped at the peak of his career and can't even get a sniff of a game ahead of Hearts' 18 year old youth players.... 

Lee Croft springs to mind....

He's not the messiah, he's a very rotund boy!!

He's 29 not 30. Bawbag, I'll give you that. Hahaha.

He's nowhere near fit. Look podgy on his first start at Hearts on the first game of the season, i think it was, v ICT. A few weeks double training to get up to speed. He is a replacement for MOH but offers both defensive and attacking play without sulking constantly.

My issue is we were after a left midfielder and 2 others before the window. We released 1 first team player, sold 1 first team player and released a younger player. Bring in one. What the hell is going on? all the guys left are expensive from League 1/2 from down south.

What is happening with all these pre-contracts for the likes of Alston and Dow? Would've been nice to try and entice Falkirk and Yinitit with some dosh to get these guys now.

Very much doubt anyone else will come in. Time to get Scott Brown out and take his chances beside Muzz in midfield as it looks like Millar is picking up too many injuries.

Swanson is a 30 year old fat wee bawbag who flopped at the peak of his career and can't even get a sniff of a game ahead of Hearts' 18 year old youth players.... 

Lee Croft springs to mind....

He's not the messiah, he's a very rotund boy!!

You are welcome to your opinion that he is a bawbag, but whether you like it or not, he is now our bawbag. Time for us to rally round him and the rest of the team and show them the support they deserve!

Left us because we couldn't pay him enough.......comes back when he's on the dole. 

Cool story..........

yeah because if somebody offered you more than double your weekly wage to move back to the city where you grew up close to all your family i'm sure you wouldn't even entertain it would you...........?

Very happy to get Danny back and when fit and if he performs like he did last time will be a great signing.

He seemed happy and gave us a different option going forward where we are lacking as we are not producing that killer pass at the crucial times to split the opposition defences. A lot of the time by the time we get in attacking positions the defence is ready and we cannot get any shots in on goal. We need Macca further forward and he could help this by taking on the defences putting in early crosses for Macca and even Sutton who is good with headers but never really had any service.

Just my opinion.

To be honest I don't think it's gone as badly as people are making out. We're half a million richer in exchange for a player who'd stopped playing well for us months ago and was probably on the verge of being dropped if he'd stayed. And he hasn't gone to one of our immediate rivals in the league this season, which is a bonus. And I think we've ended up getting the absolute maximum fee for him that we could have hoped for (given that no one else came in with an offer). I think the big mistake - only with the benefit of hindsight - was dragging the Sevco deal out so that we could ensure we had MOH for the semi-final. In the end he was rubbish in the semi, we're out of the cup, and all it achieved was to give ourselves less time to find a replacement. But that was always going to be a gamble, and in the end it's one that didn't pay off.

Now we've got Swanson, who should be a good signing once he's fit. Wouldn't be surprised if we end up bringing in another free agent at some point soon as well. 

What should Saints have done differently?

It's not gone as badly as people are making out, you're right, but the clock hit 12 last night and I bet we were all left with the same disappointed feeling because for once we'd been led to believe that there would be some kind of Deadline Day signing news at McD.

The Mikey sale was no surprise, and I think it's a brilliant bit of business to get half a million for him, because I'm still not convinced that he's even worth that. But Swanson is not a replacement for MOH, and I don't buy that Thomson's ready to be starting every week yet. That's a lot of pressure on a young guy that's only started one match for us to date. So we've shipped our most creative guy out and have nobody to replace him.

I also think that one of the problems for Saints again has been communication, and using that communication to manage fans' expectations. It certainly doesn't look good that we started the day with reporters quoting Tommy saying that we would be bringing in 2, and we end up losing 3 instead. Look at how teams like Motherwell, or even Hearts, dealt with their comms on the day. They kept the supporters informed about what was going on. Deadline Day should be a bit of a wet dream for a football club comms department, because everybody is paying attention to you. But for all we know everybody at Saints went home at 5pm and watched Sky Sports News with their feet up for the rest of the night. We didn't even announce that Roger had left the club until lunchtime today. Even a couple of vague Tweets would have been enough to say that we were "still in the office working on deals" or that "business was done for tonight, go to bed you sad b'stards", instead of starting the day with such positive intentions and then burying heads into the sand and going silent when things didn't quite go our way. That's the approach that the SPFL took with the ticket fiasco a couple of weeks ago and we slaughtered them for it. Communicate well and they help to manage expectation, reduce speculation, and stop people getting carried away.

I've never really been annoyed at Saints' deadline day activities before, because they've usually been non-existent, but what with Mikey going and Tommy's comments from earlier in the day, you could surely be forgiven for assuming that we might be signing somebody other than Danny Swanson. Especially with reports of bids going in for Scougall. To end up with nobody is disappointing.

Being reported that Scougall and Chris Maguire both turned us down

Chris Maguire's signing for Oxford was announced within minutes of the official announcement of his release from Rotherham.
I'm aware that he probably knew he was leaving and had been touted by agent before then, but I'm not convinced we ever had a chance of that one

Murray Spoony

Thomson                      Swanson

Maclean

Cummins

V attacking. Swanson, Spoony and Macca linking up would be beautiful though. 

^^^ This

I can see Spoony playing a Midge kinda role in the future. Hasn't got enough pace to run the wing but his distribution can be very good at times.