Player contracts and transfers

David123

El Alagui is knackered with knee problems and was earning more than most our squad last season. Ziggy Gordon is joining a Polish side and Stewarts destined for Rangers at some point in the next 12 months.

Ziggy Gordon apparently turned down the polish side.

These players werent on "pay as you play" deals. To think any player would accept a deal like that is mad.

Wrong Radom!!!

Michael Owen was actually on a pay per play deal at 2 separate clubs. Firstly at Man Utd and secondly at Stoke City.

George Best actually signed a £2000 per match pay as you play deal at Hibs many years ago (probably before you were born).

Wrong Radom!!!

Michael Owen was actually on a pay per play deal at 2 separate clubs. Firstly at Man Utd and secondly at Stoke City.

George Best actually signed a £2000 per match pay as you play deal at Hibs many years ago (probably before you were born).

You believe Michael Owen willingly turned down a wages every week?

Reduced initial wage with massive appearance fees is plausible, only getting paid when you play is not. 

Best was a massive alcoholic who'd do almost anything to get enough money to pay for drink, I'm not sure hes a great example.

You believe Michael Owen willingly turned down a wages every week?

Reduced initial wage with massive appearance fees is plausible, only getting paid when you play is not. 

Best was a massive alcoholic who'd do almost anything to get enough money to pay for drink, I'm not sure hes a great example.

You really are incredible. 

Owen had pay per play deals including bonuses for goals. He turned down offers from other club's to sign for man United as he had been plagued by injury the season before. 

As for best he was on pay per play end of. That was what was said above. 

Players on supposed "pay as you play" deals will still pick up a basic salary. Just read a Telegraph article about Owen's move to Stoke that calls it pay as you play but goes on to say it includes a "basic" salary of 25k a week. If I could get that sort of pay as you play deal I'd quite happily never play.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/stoke-city/9520735/Michael-Owen-joins-Stoke-after-agreeing-a-12-month-deal.html

McFadden was mentioned further up the thread, but I'm sure he'll have been on a basic salary at Saints too, unless someone can find a link saying otherwise.

Players on supposed "pay as you play" deals will still pick up a basic salary. Just read a Telegraph article about Owen's move to Stoke that calls it pay as you play but goes on to say it includes a "basic" salary of 25k a week. If I could get that sort of pay as you play deal I'd quite happily never play.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/stoke-city/9520735/Michael-Owen-joins-Stoke-after-agreeing-a-12-month-deal.html

McFadden was mentioned further up the thread, but I'm sure he'll have been on a basic salary at Saints too, unless someone can find a link saying otherwise.

Blue heaven there was a counter to that article stating it was made up and according to pullis the contract was similar to woodgates in the previous season on a pay as you play. 

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke-city-michael-owen-tony-pulis-slam-salary/story-17594517-detail/story.html

Did saints not sign person on a pay as you play deal at one point at the end of his injury spell. 

I don't believe pay per play deals - the way fans think of them - actually exist. If a player was injured for six months he would not earn a thing because he wasn't playing? Would the player claim statutory sick pay from the government and pick up £300 a month to live on? I doubt it. It's more likely a hugely reduced salary with appearance bonuses than zero money unless you play. The manager wouldn't necessarily pick the player every week even if he was fit. So in the event the player is fit but doesn't play for tactical/form related reasons, that opens up a legal can of worms for the club surely?

Player: "I was fit and they refused to play me because it would cost them £10k every time I played" 

Club: "The manager didn't pick him for tactical reasons/other players were playing better" 

Player: "I trained 5 days a week and was available for match day selection but earned no money because they chose not  to play me"

The Michael Owen scenario -  I would be far more inclined to believe it was a reduced basic salary with lucrative appearance bonuses than this notion that he earned nothing (zilch) unless he played. I think that sort of contract was made up on football supporters forums. It would be verging on slave labour if you employed someone and only offered to pay them if they played. If they don't play they aren't even earning minimum wage. Too many potential pitfalls for clubs to even consider it an option I think. 

Do not see what all these posts about pay per play has any relevance to this thread except supporters being bored and throwing names into the hat as potential signings.

Lets wait until someone is given an opportunity to train, play or sign for us before surmising what they will or will not be paid.

I know its a bit borrowing because we done business early and there is limited wiggle room for future additions.

A pay per play deal is a essentially a low basic wage for a player's ability supplemented by large bonuses. I'm sure such deals will probably be based on fitness to play rather than selection. Putting Owen's deal in perspective, his previous salary was into 6 figures per week at Newcastle.

A pay per play deal is a essentially a low basic wage for a player's ability supplemented by large bonuses. I'm sure such deals will probably be based on fitness to play rather than selection. Putting Owen's deal in perspective, his previous salary was into 6 figures per week at Newcastle.

So to him it was a pay as you play deal because the basic was so paltry it was almost nothing :laugh: