Player contracts and transfers

David123

Anyway back on topic - https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/419019/st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wright-will-continue-recruit-scots/

St Johnstone to continue recruiting Scottish players -

He explained: “Our recruitment has been based on getting players in who, one, we think we can improve and who, two, have maybe lost their way a bit at their current clubs.

“I think we’ve got the highest number of Scottish players in our squad throughout the league. So it has worked.

“That tells a story. At the level of contracts we give out – and I’ve nothing against bringing in foreign players – we need to be sure of exactly what we’re getting. That’s the case with Scottish players.

“In my time I feel that’s been the best market for us – try and get the best Scottish players we can.

“It’s not as if we’re not looking further afield, but you limit your chances of failure with recruiting Scottish players.”

Saints haven’t yet clinched a deal for next season but progress is being made.

“We’ve got a couple of young players who will hopefully sign new deals in the next couple of days,” he reported.

“We’re working away quietly in the background to try and get other deals over the line.

“We’ve got plenty of targets and we want to get things done as quickly as possible.

“We have been working extremely hard but as yet nothing has happened.”

Interesting hoe it is only these two that have been released, the manager wants to come over as a "good guy" with the players and was reported to have said no one would be released from the current squad that did not want to go or had another club organised to go to? so they would appear to maybe have this sorted out already.

McNulty is seemingly going to Portsmouth though.

Stefan Scougall nothing on any move from the "steel town grapevine" in fact he was very surprised he got allowed to leave.   

Great to see the club tying down young talent. Jason Kerr signs new two year deal. He has played loads for East Fife the last two seasons learning from Gary Naismith, which can't be bad for his development. Be interesting to see if he stays or goes out on loan again next year.

http://perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/youngster-jason-kerr-pens-new-deal-perth

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/smith-released-as-pne-confirm-retained-list-1-8533163

PNE fan here in peace. We've just confirmed that Clive Smith has been released. Seems a bit odd to me as you lot have only good things to say about him and he's only young but it's probably the best for all parties.

Would you be pleased if he signed for Saints?

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/smith-released-as-pne-confirm-retained-list-1-8533163

PNE fan here in peace. We've just confirmed that Clive Smith has been released. Seems a bit odd to me as you lot have only good things to say about him and he's only young but it's probably the best for all parties.

Great young player who I believe is sure to win our young player of the year despite only a few first team appearances- very popular amongst his peers, hope we keep him.

Good luck next year and hope you kick on.

Edited by SaintJet

Think smith looked decent, but I doubt we will sign him, we've already got 2 right backs.

I suspect he'll pick up a club at a decent level.

I wonder if Kerr signing up again is another indication that Tam is going. I suspect Tommy will put one or two of the younger defenders out on loan and keep one (probably Gordon) as the backup central defender.

I think we've seen in the past with May and Clark that working up the leagues on loan is good for a players development, suspect that is a trend we will continue.

Saw one of your games on TV & not too impressed with your right back.

Think smith looked decent, but I doubt we will sign him, we've already got 2 right backs.

I suspect he'll pick up a club at a decent level.

I wonder if Kerr signing up again is another indication that Tam is going. I suspect Tommy will put one or two of the younger defenders out on loan and keep one (probably Gordon) as the backup central defender.

I think we've seen in the past with May and Clark that working up the leagues on loan is good for a players development, suspect that is a trend we will continue.

We have 3 right backs & Gilchrist can also play there.

We have no cover for left back & that is one reason I thought we might keep Tam. Foster can play left back if required though.

We have 3 right backs & Gilchrist can also play there.

We have no cover for left back & that is one reason I thought we might keep Tam. Foster can play left back if required though.

Liam can play left back if needed, but that would need to be an emergency. Arguably Joe can play right back too.

I wonder if Tommy might look to see if he can bring in someone who could at least cover there. Agree Tam's versatility is a plus, but if he was going to stay, I'd have thought he'd have signed already.

Saw one of your games on TV & not too impressed with your right back.

Which game? We've had problems with that position all season.

Calum Woods was our first choice but he's only just back in training after an injury similar to Stevie's.
Baptiste has been out since January from injuries and suspension, and when he's been available since he's been playing at centre half because our captain tore his achilles.

The kid we signed to replace them, Browning, looks lazy and disinterested (typical premier league u23 really) and our backup, Vermijl, is more of a wingback than a full back and has been carrying a hernia for months.

So all in all I'm surprised we let go of Clive. Thought he'd get a shot over summer and then we'd make a decision.

Wonder if Preston knew they were going to release him in January and said to us to have him until the end of the season to see if we liked him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we offered him a contract.

Edited by MrBored

Which game? We've had problems with that position all season.

Calum Woods was our first choice but he's only just back in training after an injury similar to Stevie's.
Baptiste has been out since January from injuries and suspension, and when he's been available since he's been playing at centre half because our captain tore his achilles.

The kid we signed to replace them, Browning, looks lazy and disinterested (typical premier league u23 really) and our backup, Vermijl, is more of a wingback than a full back and has been carrying a hernia for months.

So all in all I'm surprised we let go of Clive. Thought he'd get a shot over summer and then we'd make a decision.

Think it was Browning at right back.

Wonder if Preston knew they were going to release him in January and said to us to have him until the end of the season to see if we liked him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we offered him a contract.

We don't need a right back,even if he was a world beater. Foster first choice,Watson if fit second & Comrie third.