Player contracts and transfers

David123

14 players & loanees out of contract.

Would keep Mannus,Muzz& possibly Tanser . Hopefully sign Williams.

I think Wright will stick to his guns & let Midge go unfortunately.

Tommy might keep Ando & Macca for sentimental reason but we have cover for Ando & wouldn't like to see thee progress of the young guys held up. Macca is getting slower by the game.

Alston is a player I wanted to sign but there is something lacking. Plenty of effort but the problem may be that he is not a winger.

Don't think Wright can finalise anything til we know 100% what league we are in.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Tommy might keep Ando & Macca for sentimental reason but we have cover for Ando & wouldn't like to see thee progress of the young guys held up. Macca is getting slower by the game.

Alston is a player I wanted to sign but there is something lacking. Plenty of effort but the problem may be that he is not a winger.

Don't think Wright can finalise anything til we know 100% what league we are in.

I really hope he doesn't keep ANY player for sentimental reasons.  

I agree remember Alston.  Not done enough over 2 seasons to warrant another deal.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

It's a bit patronising to suggest he'd keep anyone for sentimental reasons. Ando and Macca are still first team regulars - if they get new deals it'll be because he still sees them as players with an important part to play.

40 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

It's a bit patronising to suggest he'd keep anyone for sentimental reasons. Ando and Macca are still first team regulars - if they get new deals it'll be because he still sees them as players with an important part to play.

Sentimental maybe a bit strong. Just think They have given Tommy such good service that he might think he can get another season out of them.

Watson and Willock are definitely players to let go in the Summer. Mannus deserves a new deal, so does Anderson. I'd be tempted to choose Johnstone over MacLean if Johnstone was much cheaper, if its similar wages then keep Macca and punt Johnstone. 

Tansers proving himself enough to be worth another deal. Can't decide what to do with Alston, he clearly doesn't provide quality consistently enough, but he's a solid reliable option on the right. I'd spend the next month or two trying to find an upgrade, and if nothing comes up them offer him something. 

Managers already talked about retaining Williams, would feel like a coup tbh, hope it happens but not holding any hope. Millar will be gone. 

So you're looking at Watson, Willock, Millar, Alston and Johnstone leaving, along with the two Hursts. 

Everyone seems to agree we need one CM, two wingers (maybe one being Williams), and another striking option. 

Should be enough of a gap there to get some genuine quality in. 

5 hours ago, Cagey said:

Maybe he will keep Ando and Macca because they are still contributing well to the team.!? nothing  like a bit of sentimentality either though.! A year at a time would suffice the players and the club I reckon.!       

spare a wee thought for the players in the youth teams lads ,with the u18s starting up and players leaving school ,there is going to be a few 17 year olds hoping to gain full time contracts ,and for the younger ones just hoping to continue for another season ,i know from personal experience this is a worrying time for kids and parents,would be brilliant to see any lad at 18 or younger be in the first team squad and hopefully playing regularly   they'll learn quicker by playing 

13 hours ago, Cagey said:

Sentimental maybe a bit strong. Just think They have given Tommy such good service that he might think he can get another season out of them.

Maybe keep Ando And Macca, but combine their first team roles with coaching ones? Especially Macca. Tommy was saying this week that he talks Kane through training and gives him plenty of pointers. As far as I know, we don’t have a strikers coach, so would be a win win.

Ando still does a job, but I think Kerr and Joe are ahead of him now in the pecking order. He’ll get a game in a back 3, but probably not in a back 2.

4 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

From the BBC: "Defender Scott Tanser says St Johnstone are "the best club I have been at" and is keen to remain in Perth beyond his current contract, which ends this summer."

:lol:  port vale must be really pish. Either that or he's shiteing it regarding his contract.

31 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

:lol:  port vale must be really pish. Either that or he's shiteing it regarding his contract.

I think it’s easy to forget that Scott Tanser is only 23.

When we signed him he had only played about 50 senior matches.

I think he is slowly maturing into a decent left back. Excellent going forward and his defending will improve with experience.

Comrie Kerr Shaughnessy Tanser as a back four have an average age of 22. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

TW in the papers today saying we're working towards hiring a "Head of Recruitment" who'd be based down South, to help open up that market to us. Confirms that just now it's purely contacts that alerts us to players

For contacts ,read Agents but I think that is common with most teams outside top 5.

Guest ScottMann

I don't know enough about McKenzie to be delighted or disappointed but given what Steve Clarke's doing at Killie I don't blame him for staying.

Tanser comments about being made a better player at Saints which is good to read. Says everyone's helped but I expect being coached by an ex-international and EPL left back will be the major factor. 

Now Alston is out til the end of the season and so is his contract. Should he be given a new one?

The few games I made this season he looked terrible and I include the Albion Rovers game in that, I really hoped he would progress with us but it didn't seem to have been the case.  It sounds like he stepped it up a bit in the last few games though. 

I do think he will be given a new contract tough as he is used a lot and fits a couple of positions. 

Very torn on this one. I think I'd give Alston a new deal if his demands are reasonable. He continues to show flashes of the player I thought he would become for us, but he's not quite been the player I hoped he would be.

He can play in either a 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 and has plenty energy about him.

Let's give him one more season to see if he can get some consistency.