Player contracts and transfers

David123

Bit surprised at the two-year deal for someone who's untested at this level, but it certainly suggests Tommy has confidence in him. Quite encouraging to see the reaction of some of the Colchester fans on Twitter; have seen a couple suggest he was one of their best players this season. Hope people are willing to give him time to settle in and bear in mind he's still fairly young (younger than Chris Kane, for example), so could be one that we reckon we can develop into something better, much as we've seen with Tanser. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

I think really if we're going to unearth any gems then this is one of the markets we need to be active in, as we're not realistically going to poach the best players from our rival Scottish clubs.

37 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Bit surprised at the two-year deal for someone who's untested at this level, but it certainly suggests Tommy has confidence in him. Quite encouraging to see the reaction of some of the Colchester fans on Twitter; have seen a couple suggest he was one of their best players this season. Hope people are willing to give him time to settle in and bear in mind he's still fairly young (younger than Chris Kane, for example), so could be one that we reckon we can develop into something better, much as we've seen with Tanser. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

I think really if we're going to unearth any gems then this is one of the markets we need to be active in, as we're not realistically going to poach the best players from our rival Scottish clubs.

I’m sure I read somewhere that he’d been used as a wingback this season as well. Now I’m not suggesting that he’s going to be playing there for us, but if he’s able to then if we’re pushing for a game, a more offensive minded wingback is a plus. 

Guest ScottMann
3 hours ago, mainstand said:

Don't think so because it is cross border.  But no doubt random will correct me if I am wrong. 

Or if you're right.

8 hours ago, mainstand said:

Don't think so because it is cross border.  But no doubt random will correct me if I am wrong. 

Think you're right. Celtic got Moussa Dembele for much cheapness due to some cross border loophole, so even if he is still of compensation age, you'd probably pay more buying a car.

Guest ScottMann
13 minutes ago, glenrothes saintee said:

worth a listen for the pronunciations :laugh::laugh::laugh:

'for some time dot h e told the' Superb!  It sounds more informed about Saints than the BBC.

21 hours ago, Kyle said:

I think 23 is a freebie move, although I'm sure it used to be 24.

I think Wright can play as a number 10 but he's mainly been utilised as a winger. Hardly missed any football all season and it seems he's turned down a new contract with Colchester to sign for us. I've not seen him play but happy to give him a chance.

Thats very gracious of you. 

That will be Internationalist and World Cup star Rory Fallon remember :laugh:

On 14 November 2009, Fallon scored the only goal in the second leg of New Zealand's World Cup qualifier against Bahrain, to send New Zealand to the FIFA World Cup in South Africa, their first appearance at the finals in 28 years.[27] Fallon played in all three of New Zealand's finals games.

9 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Always laugh at you guys when you hold up Coulson as the standard to be avoided, when you all saw Rory Fallon play, a guy so hilariously inept around a football that it was actually - and I’m semi serious here - a reason to go and watch Saints because it was so funny. 

A la Andy Brannigan?!

22 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Always laugh at you guys when you hold up Coulson as the standard to be avoided, when you all saw Rory Fallon play, a guy so hilariously inept around a football that it was actually - and I’m semi serious here - a reason to go and watch Saints because it was so funny. 

Thing is, it shows how players can have a run of good form, or how a few injuries can turn them into jibbering wrecks.

I was a season ticket holder at Swindon Town when he was there and he was excellent. Played alongside another former Saintee Sam Parkin, he scored almost a goal every 3 games and was bought by Swansea for £300,000 (the second highest fee a Welsh club had ever played).

15 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

A la Andy Brannigan?!

Not having that.  Andy may not have been the most graceful, but he knocked his pan in, made assists and scored goals.  Unconventional but effective, and a Saints legend.  Doubt Coulson will be remembered with much fondness in 35 years time.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Wallace said:

Not having that.  Andy may not have been the most graceful, but he knocked his pan in, made assists and scored goals.  Unconventional but effective, and a Saints legend.  Doubt Coulson will be remembered with much fondness in 35 years time.

that goal against Alloa alone will mean Andy B will forever be a Saints legend.

15 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

Was at Alloa but I was never a fan of Brannigan. I think back to him when we're linked with Simon Murray.

I agree,Andy B worked as hard as anyone,but lacked too much to be a really good player and Simon Murray is probably better,but not what I’d want either