Player contracts and transfers

David123

47 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

My point was not really relating to whether it is time for him to go or not,It was really about his relationship with TW.My impression is that it was strained to say the least and not just this season last season as well 

How many people really like or get on with their boss or vice versa don’t think it really matters TW couldn’t trust midge to last a full match and their relationship never recovered from that. Midge has gone he will be regarded as a legend and rightly so but it’s time to move on 

56 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Midge was on just about minimum wage (okay slight exaggeration) this season. The last 18 months he was treated poorly. He easily has another season or 2 in him, especially at Championship level.

He was on a contract which was negotiated 18 months before that so he must have been happy with that when he signed it. 

And I totally agree with you he probably has a year or 2 left in his legs but not in the Premier league. 

But I await him proving me wrong and joining St mirren or Livi  and being a stand out :laugh:

12 minutes ago, mainstand said:

He was on a contract which was negotiated 18 months before that so he must have been happy with that when he signed it. 

And I totally agree with you he probably has a year or 2 left in his legs but not in the Premier league. 

But I await him proving me wrong and joining St mirren or Livi  and being a stand out :laugh:

Contract was renegotiated in the summer by Saints. Midge had very little offers as close season was coming to an end he signed it so he at least had a club and a wage.

5 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Contract was renegotiated in the summer by Saints. Midge had very little offers as close season was coming to an end he signed it so he at least had a club and a wage.

I heard from a reliable source (someone else like you that clearly speaks to him) that he was earning £1500 a week this season. 

He was prepared to take a big drop to re-sign however, but the club were looking to use that money to recruit elsewhere 

18 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I heard from a reliable source (someone else like you that clearly speaks to him) that he was earning £1500 a week this season. 

He was prepared to take a big drop to re-sign however, but the club were looking to use that money to recruit elsewhere 

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Midge was on just about minimum wage (okay slight exaggeration) this season. The last 18 months he was treated poorly. He easily has another season or 2 in him, especially at Championship level.

Well if £1,500 a week was minimum wage then there are a few of us that want minimum wage:razz:

9 hours ago, mainstand said:

I think he was good but he is not outstanding and had he been outstanding and had more goals in his armoury then he would have been a target for bigger teams years ago.

Mainstand must have got out of the wrong side of bed today as this is as close to a negative post as we're gonna get.

ive seen post saying hes not fast doesnt score enough, thats not his game , He reminds me of Xavi in his style controlling the game and keeping possesion in mf, Midge will go down as one of the best mfs ive seen at Saints and will always be a Saints legend!

43 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Also not sure why Midge would accept reduced terms on a legally guaranteed contract that he signed beforehand. 

You’d maybe accept that if you knew your employer was close to going bust. No one would take that on any other terms. Tribunal would have shafted Saints 

His contract expired last Summer, but he signed an extension on reduced terms. He'd signed a 2 year deal in 2015.

Fair play, but you’d accept your terms would be reduced a bit at his age. Especially when he’s a player from the McInnes era who would have been on a very good wage if the stories of year on year budget cuts are to be believed. 

It’s possible that may have been his wage before last summer but I highly doubt that it would have dropped more than 20-30%

I have my own theory on what happened with Millar. It’s totally baseless, but I think his very blatant plans for a media career worked against him. 

Had he wanted to move into coaching, I think there would have been a place created for him at the club, with him playing and working with the kids. 

12 hours ago, bankfoot saint said:

How many people really like or get on with their boss or vice versa don’t think it really matters TW couldn’t trust midge to last a full match and their relationship never recovered from that. Midge has gone he will be regarded as a legend and rightly so but it’s time to move on 

Yeah we have all "Moved on" but again my point was nothing to do with him staying or going it was wholly to do with his relationship with TW 

10 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Fair play, but you’d accept your terms would be reduced a bit at his age. Especially when he’s a player from the McInnes era who would have been on a very good wage if the stories of year on year budget cuts are to be believed. 

It’s possible that may have been his wage before last summer but I highly doubt that it would have dropped more than 20-30%

I have my own theory on what happened with Millar. It’s totally baseless, but I think his very blatant plans for a media career worked against him. 

Had he wanted to move into coaching, I think there would have been a place created for him at the club, with him playing and working with the kids. 

He'd signed a deal in 2015 as a pivotal part of the first team, by 2017 he was expendable (in the eyes of the club). Steve Brown will have mutilated his previous wage, especially when it became apparent Saints offer was the only one on the table. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

His contract expired last Summer, but he signed an extension on reduced terms. He'd signed a 2 year deal in 2015.

So we told him at the beginning of last year he was free to find another club yet he went on to sign a new one year deal. Something not adding up there for me. 

7 minutes ago, shiresaint said:

So we told him at the beginning of last year he was free to find another club yet he went on to sign a new one year deal. Something not adding up there for me. 

As has been said, he accepted a massively reduced contract. Club obviously decided that he was worth peanuts rather then just releasing him. 

44 minutes ago, shiresaint said:

He signed in a new contract in April or May and was told to find a new club in August. He featured in pretty much all the pre-season games and started away in Trakai, although he did drop from sight prior to signing his last deal with us the season before.

With regards to his pay cut, he wasn't the only one offered such terms. Scobbie turned his (a 35% cut) down and I'm sure I read previously that Mannus took a pay cut too. I suppose a combination of limited availability/lack of game time and general diminishing returns from all 3 contributed to that.

1 hour ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

The money being freed up by him going is not going to be huge as he was not on a big contract..My concern was the fact that we have given new contracts to The Hurst's neitver of whom had successful loan periods and do not look like they will make the grade at this level 

Yeah,giving contracts to the Hursts was unexpected. I would be surprised if they even get on the bench.

29 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

We won't be getting Declan McManus from Dunfermline anyway, ( rumour I heard and thoughthe would be good addition) anyway he has signed for Ross County 

Another rumour in some circles Ryan Edwards has signed for Hearts 

Edwards confirmed to hearts 2 year deal