Player contracts and transfers

David123

5 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Good stuff- you saved my bad.

Anyway, whatever nationality he is it's another example of how our wee team and TW gets the best out of a young project who has blossomed. If I was a young decent player sitting on the bench for a "bigger" club I'd be wanting to go to Saints for game time and development.

yes... that is a rational view... but money (and agents) talk. agents don't care about development of a player. they just see a fat weekly wage & their commissions. MOH is a classic.

47 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Expected to sign pre season contract with Aberdeen.

Would take some money for him now as we have cover & as we are safe would allow us to prepare for next season.

Difference between top half and bottom half, once you work out money per position/potential away crowds, is apparently at least £250k.

I couldn't see Aberdeen paying that for him in January.

He wouldn't perform worse after agreeing a deal, he'd remain committed until he left.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Difference between top half and bottom half, once you work out money per position/potential away crowds, is apparently at least £250k.

I couldn't see Aberdeen paying that for him in January.

He wouldn't perform worse after agreeing a deal, he'd remain committed until he left.

Agree with all of that but you are assuming we will be weaker. I am sure Gordon & Ando for cover we will manage fine.

We would miss Joe as cover for RB but sure we will cope.

9 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Hopefully Joe will ponder Aberdeens move for him and speak to others like Liam and Danny about bigger wages but grass always not greener.  Also Del dumped him and he has progressed at Saints.

Sign on again and get a bigger move down south.

Joe was at our clubs player presentation night and seemed very happy at Perth and was looking forward to the possibility of a new contract. 

I would be surprised if he went back to Aberdeen. Considering he left Aberdeen after being frustrated with the lack of games he was getting to then coming to us and playing nearly every game since and now club captain. If he did leave, Aberdeen must be offering much higher wages than we are

4 hours ago, ss75990 said:

I would be surprised if he went back to Aberdeen. Considering he left Aberdeen after being frustrated with the lack of games he was getting to then coming to us and playing nearly every game since and now club captain. If he did leave, Aberdeen must be offering much higher wages than we are

They will that's a fact.

Can't say I'd blame him for going to Aberdeen. It's a club and manager he's already been with so that takes a lot of risk out of it, he'll get a higher salary, and chances are he'll also have more chance of on-field success. He's been a great player for us over these last few years and I think he'd go with everyone's best wishes - but it's a real pity as he was really developing here and I'd seen him as the next in the recent line of players who have stayed with us for the long haul and racked up a couple of  hundred appearances.

I know we have some cover but I think that if he goes we'll need to go out and invest in an experienced centre-half/leader figure over the summer.

Guest ScottMann
6 hours ago, mainstand said:

Joe was at our clubs player presentation night and seemed very happy at Perth and was looking forward to the possibility of a new contract. 

That may well be the case but what else would you expect him to say in such company? I don't think 'Thank God Aberdeen have come in for me as I can't wait to bugger off' would have gone down to well!

The concept of loyalty in football is as outdated as two points for a win. It's just a job and I don't blame any player for moving for an increase in pay, especially when it's like to be substantial. Joe's given Saints 100% in his time here and you really can't ask for much more from any employee. If he stays, great. If he goes, thanks for your time and good luck to Liam.

9 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

tanser is exactly what we need. bet he's popular with the lads. good luck to big Joe... he'll be missed. kennedy, Watt, Watson NOW... we need to keep them... and when will we get Scougall off our books?

Right first of all, who says Shaughnessy is actually going anywhere. It’s all speculation and rumours. Secondly, who the hell is Watson?