Player contracts and transfers

David123

2 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Just watching stv news showing highlights from weekend. Got to say that young Celtic striker Johnston looks a good player. Be worth trying to get on loan.

I think he will be well in the first team squad for next season and did play in the champions league qualifiers this season. 

Of the ones on show yesterday I think Dembela looks more likely to go out on loan. 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, Cagey said:

It was the 51% for 17/18 that made me & maybe Tommy that made me think he wouldn't play much this season.

He did a great job this season in a position we couldn't fill but not sure he has the legs to fill that position for another season.

With the squad we have I can't think of a better captain though.

Don't know why you think Liam Craig doesn't have the legs for another season. He did well for us this year, and him and Murray (or Callachan) were comfortably superior to the centre midfields of the other bottom six sides in most of the games we played against them this season. (The two poor showings against Accies excluded).

If you're saying possibly not good enough to compete with top six sides, then that's maybe more of a valid point.

He's only 31, and has been fairly injury free most of his career as far as I know.  There seems to be a feeling on here that over 30 and you are finished. Playing the way he did this season, he could do a job for a few years yet.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:34 PM, mainstand said:

I think he will be well in the first team squad for next season and did play in the champions league qualifiers this season. 

Of the ones on show yesterday I think Dembela looks more likely to go out on loan. 

I think Dembela will be part of Celtic squad next season,depending on who is manager.

I think May will be Tommy's main focus, before anyone else.

With Wright coming back from injury, and playing on the right wing, and Kennedy on the left, I'd be tempted to play O'Halloran just behind the main striker. I think it needs to be someone with a physical presence, to get the knock downs onto O'Halloran.

If Alston goes, we'll need another centre midfielder. I'd be happy with Tony Andreu, if Hamilton don't take him or Mark Milligan from Hibs (he can also play as centre back). Gaël Bigirimana has been released by Hibs. He had a good season at Motherwell last year, but wasn't able to break into the Hibs first team.

8 hours ago, Linky said:

I think May will be Tommy's main focus, before anyone else.

With Wright coming back from injury, and playing on the right wing, and Kennedy on the left, I'd be tempted to play O'Halloran just behind the main striker. I think it needs to be someone with a physical presence, to get the knock downs onto O'Halloran.

If Alston goes, we'll need another centre midfielder. I'd be happy with Tony Andreu, if Hamilton don't take him or Mark Milligan from Hibs (he can also play as centre back). Gaël Bigirimana has been released by Hibs. He had a good season at Motherwell last year, but wasn't able to break into the Hibs first team.

May scored less goals than Chris Kane this season - that is in nearly 2000 mins of football - those stats are pretty comprehensive. 

The poor lad is a ahadow of what he was 6 years ago.  I woudl be pretty shocked if Tommy woudl be pursing him.

10 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

May scored less goals than Chris Kane this season - that is in nearly 2000 mins of football - those stats are pretty comprehensive. 

The poor lad is a ahadow of what he was 6 years ago.  I woudl be pretty shocked if Tommy woudl be pursing him.

I would be pretty shocked if he's not pursuing him.

As much as it's painful to say it, I don't really want May back at Saints either. 3 goals in all competitions all season and I don't think he's managed a single one from open play. McInnes was never able to get the best out of him at Saints and he's not always played up front, but we really need more of a sure thing than that. He's on a wage we wouldn't be able to afford and Aberdeen will probably want to recoup at least some of the money they've shelled out on him.

I love Stevie May and would love the 2014 version back but I don't think that exists any more. We can get better for the money it would take to bring him back now too.

Having said that, if he does signs I'll lose my shit with excitement no doubt.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I would be pretty shocked if he's not pursuing him.

I would. We wont be signing May permanently this Summer so even if we help him regain his form we're probably only likely to get 6 months out him. It could help us next season but overall I'd rather we focus on a striker who could improve us long term/earn us a fee.

12 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Yes, but Tommy often goes for those he knows. Why wouldn't it happen this time? 

He picks up the unfashionable players who are having a sticky patch, and gives them another chance. Whether you think that's a good idea or not, he's done it before and he'll do it again.

If there's a chance of getting May back to his best then it's worth it.

Guest ScottMann

If he wasn't 'one of our own' and the pre-injury May didn't have such a special place in our hearts then I'm sure Tommy would be slaughtered for considering someone with Stevie's post injury record as the expensive answer to our top striker search. 

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Because he's past it and will be too expensive. It would be very poor value for the risk involved, and TW is good at getting value.

Can we please just bin this talk as it's making me nervous.

Could you not have said the same for Swanson, O'Halloran, Craig, Watt, etc. etc. when they were signed for the club?

13 minutes ago, Linky said:

Could you not have said the same for Swanson, O'Halloran, Craig, Watt, etc. etc. when they were signed for the club?

Not really, all different and much cheaper, and neither Swanson not Watt have worked out, MOH has taken months to get back to form and fitness and has arguably only had 1 good game for us. I do expect him to kick on based on recent form but he could just as easily go backwards, and at the time of writing he's not been great value. 

Craig wasn't the disaster after he left that May has been at Aberdeen. 

Everyone has an opinion but I think that @ScottMann's comment is on the money. I think it's rose-tinted specs.