Player contracts and transfers

David123

I’d expect McMillan to move on, which would leave us with 2 strikers, one who’s untested but promising and another who we know won’t score goals. If McMillan does leave, we need to be brining in 2 strikers I’d suggest, whether one of them is Stevie May, then fine, but I won’t be happy if we go into the season with those three plus O’Halloran a season out forward options. Admittedly we played last season with a set of strikers who got 8 league goals between them and I’d expect that to be bettered this season, but that’s not the point. 

My point would be 2 strikers out, 0 in, 2 recognised strikers left who struggle to score in the SPFL. 

We will struggle to score and if we struggle to score we have a problem. That is not counting suspensions, injuries or loss of form.

Will 3 strikers at the club be enough for the season?

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

2 defenders are definitely away. No word yet on the other two, but if the May deal is as close as is rumoured, the striker will quickly follow them out the door I'd imagine.

Big centre half got good reports from those fans that were here, although he only got 45 mins,

Is 45 mins enough for Tommy to judge or maybe he only agreed to 1 game trial.

Maybe the guy didn't fancy us or his agent maybe got him another gig.

Probably never know.

2 hours ago, SconeSaintees said:

So enlighten us what is uour point???

That we need to sign a striker and if we let McMillan go, it’ll need to increase to 2. Also that they should score more than last seasons pool.

If you’re going to make sarcastic comments, at least read what’s written before diving in with both feet and looking like a bit of a fool. Cause it appears everyone else understands the point. 

3 hours ago, SconeSaintees said:

I did read it, if I hadn't I would not have commented, so McMillan goes, we still have 2 stickers Hendry & Kane still can't see your point??

Jesus! You now can’t see my point or Widge’s. Not sure that a forum or football for that matter is for you. Do you actually have a point yourself or are you intent on trying to start an argument!? Also stickers? Sounds like something you’d find on the list of Rangers creditors beside the face painter. It’s strikers we need!

10 minutes ago, SconeSaintees said:

Guess there is 2 of you so you must be right. No argument intended just an alternative point of view. If altrrnative views are not welcome on this forum then what is the point?

Alternative points of view and healthy discussion, yes. Not quite how you came across initially. Your belief however that we could release McMillan and go into the season with Kane and Hendry alone is questionable at best. 

Re Stevie May, if he signs, I'd rather a permanent move. If on loan, then if does well, then either Aberdeen will want him back or someone else will come in for him. At the moment, his stock is low, so we'd have little real competition for a permanent deal. I think he is worth a fee to be spent on, but have concerns that Saints will actually shell out anything.

I think Tommy would get the best out of him and if he (May), genuinely thinks that himself, he'd come back. However, the alternative for him is that if it doesn't work out back here, then what kind of future does he have?

I have a gut feel he might either a) want only a loan himself so he has the fall back of the remaining 2 years on good wage at aberdeen (or pay off) or b) try his luck elsewhere, with the thought in his mind that while Tommy is at Saints, he will likely have another opportunity here.

Even if it wasnt for him being here before, I'd still say he is exactly the type of player Tommy likes, talented, but for whatever reason, lost his way a bit.

Of course, if he does sign, then likely blows a hole in the budget, so does that have knock on effects for other targets or new contracts? Say May gets 3k, does Kennedy ask for that or MOH, Zander etc? 

I can't help thinking that aching for Stevie to come back is partly a desire to return to the glory of 2014. But life's not like that. There's talk on here about how few goals our strikers scored last year. How many more than that tally has Stevie scored in the past five years? I know he was out for a year, but he's been fit for a long time now, and still not banging in goals.

10 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Re Stevie May, if he signs, I'd rather a permanent move. If on loan, then if does well, then either Aberdeen will want him back or someone else will come in for him. At the moment, his stock is low, so we'd have little real competition for a permanent deal. I think he is worth a fee to be spent on, but have concerns that Saints will actually shell out anything.

I think Tommy would get the best out of him and if he (May), genuinely thinks that himself, he'd come back. However, the alternative for him is that if it doesn't work out back here, then what kind of future does he have?

I have a gut feel he might either a) want only a loan himself so he has the fall back of the remaining 2 years on good wage at aberdeen (or pay off) or b) try his luck elsewhere, with the thought in his mind that while Tommy is at Saints, he will likely have another opportunity here.

Even if it wasnt for him being here before, I'd still say he is exactly the type of player Tommy likes, talented, but for whatever reason, lost his way a bit.

Of course, if he does sign, then likely blows a hole in the budget, so does that have knock on effects for other targets or new contracts? Say May gets 3k, does Kennedy ask for that or MOH, Zander etc? 

It is not unusual for the top paid players to have a clause in their contract that they will get the parity with any new top earner. Good point about others wanting or being entitled the same salary.

Impatience is getting to me.

Annual question has the team got stronger or weaker this season:

Out: Easton, Alston (9 goals), Watt, Shaughnessy, Goss, Bell, Comrie

In: Parish, Duffy,

Some will say we will pick up players, but for me that is not good enough, we should be targeting players to improve the team and make it stronger. We may have and they declined so where is the contingency plan. Is it we will get what’s left and hope there is a player in there that is good enough. Tommy has a tough job but it is his job to make the team stronger.

My opinion so far we are not stronger as the players signed are back up players. Have we got weaker?

Goalkeeper no change

Losing Shaughnessy has made us weaker (some will argue no we have Liam but we have lost quality cover for injury and suspension)

Midfield no change other than less depth of squad

Wingers no change

Strikers no change but this is our weakest part of the team/squad and Tommy recognised this by making this his number 1 signing target of the summer.

Therefore are we stronger no, are we weaker I believe yes.

Rant over. Come on Tommy get them in the season is almost on us.

Edited by Johnny B

I don’t like the way Tommy talks about signing players: ’we probably do need to get another defender in’.

It feels like there is no planning whatsoever. As if, suddenly the season is upon us and he thinks ‘we’d better get a defender from somewhere, anywhere, who cares as long as he’s a defender ‘. 

Whether this is true or not, I’m not sure. But he should be more careful with what he says. Something like: “we’ve known we needed a left sided defender for a while, but we’re been assessing our options and want to make sure we get someone who will really strengthen the squad”.

After a step forward last season, it feels like our signing policy has gone back to square one: looking at players from English lower leagues who have punted in our direction by agents (not saying that some might not be decent), and players who Tommy knows because they’ve played here before. The vision is just so limited.

I agree - on this day last year we signed Tony Watt, who was our second summer signing. After that date we signed Matty Kennedy, Conor Mitchell, Tristan Nydam, Ross Callachan and Danny Swanson and everyone was really pleased with how the window had gone.

I think last years shows that if you're patient you can pick up gems that either end up discarded by other clubs or that fall into our wage bracket because they've not had offers from higher up the chain. I look around at the clubs around us and I can't say I'm particularly envious of any of the players they've brought in so far. I'm sure Tommy has got his targets in mind and he seems pretty relaxed at how things are progressing. He comes out with odd and contradictory comments at times but that just seems to be the way he likes to play the media.

13 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

It's impossible to make this judgement when we're still in pre-season, still looking at trialists and deals are still being done. The end of the transfer window is the time to look at whether or not the squad seems stronger or weaker.

Are we still looking at trialists. By the time the window closes we will have played 4 cup games and 4 league games are we going to wait that long.