Player contracts and transfers

David123

On 7/17/2019 at 12:07 AM, 541ntees said:

How can we possibly have spent the budget?

OUT 

hurst bell joe Easton Corrie keown goss nydam alston scougall and watt

IN

Parish Duffy 

Two weeks on & Tommy spouting the same Shyte.

Eleven guys on decent wages I would assume replaced by those 2 whose wages I doubt would match any but Comrie plus Estonian on loan.

20 minutes ago, mainstand said:

To be fair it worked after we brought Zander and May back from loan. 

Those two went on loan to the seaside leagues for a year, then a full season in the Championship (where they both did very well) before coming into the reckoning. 

McCann and McClean spent a few months at part-time clubs. 

There is a clear difference. 

20 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Those two went on loan to the seaside leagues for a year, then a full season in the Championship (where they both did very well) before coming into the reckoning. 

I accept that but the only way he would know that they are not yet ready is by playing them. Not sure but are Linfield not full time?

Edited by mainstand

38 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Two weeks on & Tommy spouting the same Shyte.

Eleven guys on decent wages I would assume replaced by those 2 whose wages I doubt would match any but Comrie plus Estonian on loan.

You would assume Goss was over and above the seasons budget, Nydam was pennies.

You would also assume that the money set aside for a “star striker” equates to 2/3 players wages(top earner salary, top earner bonus, cash for sign on fee/release fee/transfer fee)

3 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

You would assume Goss was over and above the seasons budget, Nydam was pennies.

You would also assume that the money set aside for a “star striker” equates to 2/3 players wages(top earner salary, top earner bonus, cash for sign on fee/release fee/transfer fee)

At the start of the window, Tommy wanted 5 players as far as I can make out. Keeper, 3 defenders and a striker. That would have been what set his budget, based on the players that we let go. 

So we have brought in 3 defenders, and should still have budget for a striker and a defender. Given we've hardly spent anything so far and because of the May saga I think it's fair to conclude that the plan all along has been to go boxoffice on the striker. 

I think that the only thing that's really changed is that the May thing has been a bit of a mess which seems likely to have been down to the player using an 'agent' who is both inexperienced and a bam. This has cost us time and general grief but no cash. 

Conclusion : we should still have funds for a quality striker and possibly a left back. Tommy making noises that he might want one more so the chairman will have said that's fine, but it's one in one out. 

Any talk in the media is just that, it's for positioning purposes. Tommy has always played this game and so do other managers. He's hardly going to say in the media that we have piles of cash now is he?

15 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

At the start of the window, Tommy wanted 5 players as far as I can make out. Keeper, 3 defenders and a striker. That would have been what set his budget, based on the players that we let go. 

So we have brought in 3 defenders, and should still have budget for a striker and a defender. Given we've hardly spent anything so far and because of the May saga I think it's fair to conclude that the plan all along has been to go boxoffice on the striker. 

I think that the only thing that's really changed is that the May thing has been a bit of a mess which seems likely to have been down to the player using an 'agent' who is both inexperienced and a bam. This has cost us time and general grief but no cash. 

Conclusion : we should still have funds for a quality striker and possibly a left back. Tommy making noises that he might want one more so the chairman will have said that's fine, but it's one in one out. 

Any talk in the media is just that, it's for positioning purposes. Tommy has always played this game and so do other managers. He's hardly going to say in the media that we have piles of cash now is he?

Jason Kerr signed a longer than expected contract which will have eaten into Tommy’s budget and I’m guessing we have had to up our offer to Zander in line with what we are paying others.

Resigning Kerr and Clark on decent deals will have been higher up Tommy and Steve Brown’s priority list than a utility defender 

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

6 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Jason Kerr signed a longer than expected contract which will have eaten into Tommy’s budget and I’m guessing we have had to up our offer to Zander in line with what we are paying others.

Resigning Kerr and Clark on decent deals will have been higher up Tommy and Steve Brown’s priority list than a utility defender 

I think you're right that they will have been the higher priority, but the extent to which the impact available sums I don't think anyone can really say. 

My point was that we're not really that far off the shopping list that we started with. It's the striker that's causing us the problems but there should be cash there to do it. I suspect that it's the buggeration with May that's there real issue as it's cost us time (assuming it doesn't go ahead, but even still it's clearly been more hassle than we would have wanted). 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:04 PM, Papa Jack said:

Busy 2 or 3 weeks coming up I think.

Ideally, I'd like 3 or 4 out - Callachan, Ando, McMillan, maybe Hendry out on loan.

In - May, another striker, left back and a midfield cover.

No offence but is it no a wee bit early to be writing to Santa?

5 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I think rather than loan them out again we should probably be asking them to find new clubs. There seems to be no sign of progression in those 2 so a loan deal & then released at the end of season is no advantage to Saints.

Tommy certainly wasn't impressed with them during betfred.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

I think rather than loan them out again we should probably be asking them to find new clubs. There seems to be no sign of progression in those 2 so a loan deal & then released at the end of season is no advantage to Saints.

Tommy certainly wasn't impressed with them during betfred.

I disagree - McCann possibly needs another loan deal. McClean was poor at Forfar but had a decent game against Brechin. The problem I think was that the midfield was too defensive at Forfar.

As for Callachan I thought he made a good impact when he came off the bench - he's good cover for Muzz/Liam (and lets face it the way refs are those 2 will pick up their share of bookings this season)

I certainly wouldn't be letting Callachan go, I know he divides opinion with us fans, but he as plenty to offer and much like Alston, is a very handy member of the squad to have. He was fantastic away to Dundee last season and was pass perfect, which leads me to think that if we could get the right balance of energy with positional sense then he could be an important player for us.

Whilst I don't think McLean is ready to be a regular starter I was encouraged by what I say against Brechin (granted one of the very worst and unfit sides I've seen at McDiarmid). I think he could possibly hold his own against some of the lower sides in the league if required. I don't see McCann as being anywhere near the standard to at any game time for us next season.... Definitely needs a loan to a championship side to see if he's even at that level.

That leaves possible departures of four players in my eyes.... McMillan, Anderson, one of our wider players and Hendry.

Both McMillan and Anderson are miles away from what we need (as much as it pains me to say it about Ando). If we could move them in on in order bring in a second new striker and a player that can cover left back I think the squad would have much more balance..... Duffy can act as our fourth choice centre back and full back cover. A player in the mould of Chris Millar would be fantastic as well and would make a huge difference.

I think Hendry would benefit greatly from a loan to the Championship, but as things stand can't see us allowing him to move on unless we can magic two strikers out the budget. I'd be happy enough with Kane, two new strikers and MOH as a potential fourth option upfront.

15 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

I certainly wouldn't be letting Callachan go, I know he divides opinion with us fans, but he as plenty to offer and much like Alston, is a very handy member of the squad to have. He was fantastic away to Dundee last season and was pass perfect, which leads me to think that if we could get the right balance of energy with positional sense then he could be an important player for us.

Whilst I don't think McLean is ready to be a regular starter I was encouraged by what I say against Brechin (granted one of the very worst and unfit sides I've seen at McDiarmid). I think he could possibly hold his own against some of the lower sides in the league if required. I don't see McCann as being anywhere near the standard to at any game time for us next season.... Definitely needs a loan to a championship side to see if he's even at that level.

That leaves possible departures of four players in my eyes.... McMillan, Anderson, one of our wider players and Hendry.

Both McMillan and Anderson are miles away from what we need (as much as it pains me to say it about Ando). If we could move them in on in order bring in a second new striker and a player that can cover left back I think the squad would have much more balance..... Duffy can act as our fourth choice centre back and full back cover. A player in the mould of Chris Millar would be fantastic as well and would make a huge difference.

I think Hendry would benefit greatly from a loan to the Championship, but as things stand can't see us allowing him to move on unless we can magic two strikers out the budget. I'd be happy enough with Kane, two new strikers and MOH as a potential fourth option upfront.

Imagination

McLean was impressive against Brechin, but Brechin are one of the worst clubs in the Country and their players had just finished a full days work then driven to Perth. He was getting about 3 minutes on the ball before being pressured. He fell apart against Montrose and Forfar. He'll get eaten alive if he plays against Celtic at the weekend.

Hes our fourth choice central midfielder.

I’d like to see Hendry, McCann and mclean all out on loan at championship clubs where hopefully they can play regularly at that level and see if their up to the standard.

only seen McCann twice - away to access at the end of 17/18 season and Linfield last month. Both games I was really impresssed with him and he took his goal beautifully 

8 hours ago, 541ntees said:

I’d like to see Hendry, McCann and mclean all out on loan at championship clubs where hopefully they can play regularly at that level and see if their up to the standard.

only seen McCann twice - away to access at the end of 17/18 season and Linfield last month. Both games I was really impresssed with him and he took his goal beautifully 

Best loan for McCann would be Morton . He could learn a lot from Midge.

Maybe a swap for Midge would be a better idea as we will never get another player to control midfield.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Best loan for McCann would be Morton . He could learn a lot from Midge.

Maybe a swap for Midge would be a better idea as we will never get another player to control midfield.

You obviously didnt watch Midge in the game that was on last week. He was murder!!

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

You obviously didnt watch Midge in the game that was on last week. He was murder!!

Midge has always been marmite. He may lose the ball occasionally but in general he is not frightened of the ball & can set off attacks. That is what is missing. You can have all the strikers in the world but if they are not getting proper service they will not score. I did watch the game last week. Some of us maybe see what we want to see.

8 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Midge has always been marmite. He may lose the ball occasionally but in general he is not frightened of the ball & can set off attacks. That is what is missing. You can have all the strikers in the world but if they are not getting proper service they will not score. I did watch the game last week. Some of us maybe see what we want to see.

Midge was struggling to get in the team 2 years ago, I suspect he’s had his day at this level! 

Moving on from the Stevie May saga, are there any rumours coming out as to who these "other targets" could be ?  Having a look on transfermarket.com, there are a number of strikers currently available on free transfers.  Whilst there are some that are obviously beyond our means, there are a few interesting names currently available, and I suspect that there will be more added to this list on 1st August.  Any people ITK that have heard anything ?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/transfers/vertragslosespieler/statistik?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=14&land_id=alle&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=2019&altersklasse=&plus=1

Guest ScottMann

I'm taking the positive out of where we are...yes, there is some believe it or not! 

The League Cup campaign has indeed been disastrous but the injuries gave us the chance to do what many fans always want and play the young guys. It's shown that they aren't ready yet for regular first team football which isn't the greatest of surprises. Better to find out now though than sail through the group stages with a full side only to find out they were lacking if called upon after the transfer window and no room to replace them. Better a disastrous early season cup campagne than a league one.

There's still about a month left to strengthen the squad so I'll wait to see where we are then. If the Chairman hasn't seen we need to strengthen more than planned and we're still humphing and hawing about players then I'll start to worry.