Player contracts and transfers

David123

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Since 2014 Stevie  May has scored 15 and played 112 that's not even 8 goals in 60 games. That too is worse than Hendry's and Kane's

He’s also played wide left and a supporting forward role a helluva lot. Asked to be the main man, I suspect we’ll see a very different player, especially after a few goals. 

I actually think we’d get a better player back than the one that left. 

20 minutes ago, SconeSaintees said:

I agree

This is delusional; Del went out on a limb to get May for Aberdeen and if there was any way he was back to the form he was at before he left for Wednesday  I'm sure he would have got a tune out of him.

I'd like to see him back because we could use him in a number of positions and his industry was never in question but to expect him to be a better player - I'm afraid that's a stretch.

1 minute ago, SaintJet said:

This is delusional; Del went out on a limb to get May for Aberdeen and if there was any way he was back to the form he was at before he left for Wednesday  I'm sure he would have got a tune out of him.

I'd like to see him back because we could use him in a number of positions and his industry was never in question but to expect him to be a better player - I'm afraid that's a stretch.

In your opinion of course

Robert Thomson now reporting the approach for Shaw, and makes it sound as if he would be the only signing.

7 months of hunting for a striker, who we've left a chunk of the budget for, and are willing to "go the extra mile" for, and we're getting a 20yo loanee from Hibs who has 10 goals in 60 games :lol:

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Robert Thomson now reporting the approach for Shaw, and makes it sound as if he would be the only signing.

7 months of hunting for a striker, who we've left a chunk of the budget for, and are willing to "go the extra mile" for, and we're getting a 20yo loanee from Hibs who has 10 goals in 60 games :lol:

Braw.get a cracking midfielder from the budget to set up the strikers we already got.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

Del... the same guy that failed to utilise Stevie May in Perth, you could quite rightly argue 

Hibs boss has said Shaw wont be leaving until they get another striker.

They're heavily linked with Jason Cummings.

Let the fact that we're trying to sign Hibs fourth choice striker on loan, but are waiting until they sign free agent Jason Cummings first, sink in.

An absolute shambles.

Edited by RandomGuy

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:Everything pointing to Adam Morgan levels of desperation at the moment. Really, really hope Tommy has something unexpected up his sleeve, but the activity of previous transfer windows would indicate that it seems unlikely. Is there really no semi-prolific striker playing in a league somewhere in the world who would jump at an opportunity to play in the UK? Do we not even bring these sorts of guys in on trial any more?

Just a thought but if it's getting to the stage where we're looking at taking Hibs kids on loan, would we not be just as well giving McMillan another chance? Is he really all that bad? I only saw him a few times but he looked OK, and Tommy spent ages trying to bring him here. I really have to wonder, if he's now considered such a bad player that he can't even get a chance in our current striker predicament, why did we sign him in the first place?

Probably just adding to the desperation here but Reise Allassani is in the last year of his contract at Coventry City and hasn't been getting anywhere near the first team for them. He's only really produced the goods at non-league level but I've seen him play quite a lot and would say he's potentially worth a look? https://thecelticbhoys.com/2018/01/12/celtic-rangers-allassani/

That's where I'm at as well.

If there's absolutely nothing out there, or we just cannot clinch a deal with anyone we were after, then go with what we've got rather than sign a lad that struggles for games at Hibs.  Even if he does well for a few months, if he's scoring then come January Hibs will take him back anyway, and we're right back in the same place.

Give McMillan a proper turn to know for sure whether he can cut it.  He hasn't had much of an opportunity starting matches. Give Kane and Hendry a chance in a pair. Neither has done great as a lone striker this season, so play them together, or partner either with Kennedy. Matty was brilliant up front on his own against Rangers, so let's use him through the middle again.

Far from where we'd hoped, but I'd rather develop young St Johnstone strikers than Hibs ones.  

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

If he scored 9 in the league then he'd have scored more than all our strikers combined last season.

Your are like a politician your never answer the question that is asked. Do you think May's 1-4 goal ratio which would yield 9 League goals is a good return for our number 1 striker?

2 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Your are like a politician your never answer the question that is asked. Do you think May's 1-4 goal ratio which would yield 9 League goals is a good return for our number 1 striker?

I've always said a tally like that would be fine, if the striker also helps get more goals from midfield. Mays overall play and assist total (10 assists in 51 top flight games) suggests he should have that ability.

Shaw is a skinny 20yo laddie who can't play up front on his own, to the point Hibs play him on the wing instead of up front. For reference he has 4 assists in 39 games)

Its not even a discussion about whos a better fit for what we need. The fact we're about to sign, and spend a wage on, Hibs fourth choice striker as our only striker signing this Summer is an absolute farce, and if it does come to fruition, which seems worryingly close as Thomson is reporting it, then the club deserve all the criticism they get. 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:07 PM, RandomGuy said:

Apparently the loan offer for McPake in only a 6 month one.

If this is our striker, I’d be pretty gutted. Advancing the career of a 17 year old for the OF, with surely no chance of signing him permanently. If he’s being taken on a second striker, to play behind someone else, then that’s different.

I think Oli Shaw is different. I actually think he’d be a good player and it seems like he wants first team football, so the loan would hopefully become permanent. His goal return isn’t great, but he’s never had a decent run in the team and he’s only 21.

3 minutes ago, Linky said:

I think Oli Shaw is different. I actually think he’d be a good player and it seems like he wants first team football, so the loan would hopefully become permanent. His goal return isn’t great, but he’s never had a decent run in the team and he’s only 21.

Theres zero chance we'd sign him permanently, if you're lucky we'd have him for the full season at most, as he could be recalled in January.