Player contracts and transfers

David123

11 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

I remember at the start of this saga mcinnes saying he preferred Stevie to go out on loan.

They now seem to have changed their minds and want rid.

Just pay up and we have something to lift our spirits for the season ahead. Please.

2 hours ago, akuram said:

They now seem to have changed their minds and want rid.

Just pay up and we have something to lift our spirits for the season ahead. Please.

He will sign next week, with McMillan's contract being ended by mutual consent.

The talk of a loan deal is a non starter, but serves a purpose that it indicates that Saints are still interested in May. Don't think for a second that Tommy doesn't use the media when he needs to. 

Would expect Anderson to go too, depending on Gordon showing he has fully recovered from injury.

Tommy will also need to do a repair job on Kane's confidence. Feel for Kane as when he came back from QOS, he looked full of confidence and hungry, but that seems to of evaporated over time. He is suffering from not having a proven goalscorer alongside him. 

11 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

He will sign next week, with McMillan's contract being ended by mutual consent.

The talk of a loan deal is a non starter, but serves a purpose that it indicates that Saints are still interested in May. Don't think for a second that Tommy doesn't use the media when he needs to. 

Would expect Anderson to go too, depending on Gordon showing he has fully recovered from injury.

Tommy will also need to do a repair job on Kane's confidence. Feel for Kane as when he came back from QOS, he looked full of confidence and hungry, but that seems to of evaporated over time. He is suffering from not having a proven goalscorer alongside him. 

And a complete lack of ability to put the ball in the ****ing goal

I think that Kane is a victim of the way football formations have moved on over the past few years.  In years gone by, Kane would have been a good foil for a strike partner, where Kane could do all the running and feed his partner, however, now teams invariably play one main striker, with the running being done by the wingers and the No. 10 role, therefore, the second striker that does all the running has become a bit obsolete.

He isn't good enough to play on his own upfront, as you need to rely on a certain amount of goals coming from your one, lone striker, and unfortunately, Kane isnt going to guarantee these.

1 hour ago, duncan08 said:

Skip to 10:14 in that video

I cannot understand the continual negativity towards Kane. Anyone sad enough to follow your instructions to see the lad miss a goal needs to seriously question if they are Saints fans. Maybe look a wee bit after the miss and see Kane sitting in the stand after he has been hooked and see how distressed he was makes me sick!

This bating of of our strikers is pathetic and it's following a similar train to that of Zippy who also was so bereft of confidence he was glad to leave.

We are St.Johnstone - we have no right to demand 20 goals a season strikers and if some supposed fans went to more games and encouraged our boys we might have more success!

In my opinion the negativity for Kane stems from the role he plays in Tommy's 1 up formation, it does not suit his style of play. Also the number chances he misses.

On the positive side he gets himself into a position where he has the opportunity to score and his work rate is second to none.

But like all centre forwards, he is judged on goals scored not his work rate.  .

19 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I cannot understand the continual negativity towards Kane. Anyone sad enough to follow your instructions to see the lad miss a goal needs to seriously question if they are Saints fans. Maybe look a wee bit after the miss and see Kane sitting in the stand after he has been hooked and see how distressed he was makes me sick!

This bating of of our strikers is pathetic and it's following a similar train to that of Zippy who also was so bereft of confidence he was glad to leave.

We are St.Johnstone - we have no right to demand 20 goals a season strikers and if some supposed fans went to more games and encouraged our boys we might have more success!

I think Kane's OK. My opnion has always been that he's a good level for the Championship and as utility hold-up or 3rd choice squad striker. Absoluely nothing has really changed my view on that in his time with us. I also agree that getting on the backs of players isn't really fair, unless they are not interested, not trying, not keeping fit or being disruptive. Kane is a player that clearly works his sock off and plays for the team. I like him.

But that's just my view. I'm certainly not going to criticise other supporters for having a view on a player's performace or suitability, and I'll never presume to suggest that anyone isnt' 'a real fan'. 

As for the rest of the post, what I read is yet more 'we should get down and know our place' stuff that's on here far too often for my liking. We're a regular top 6 Premiership team and we have every right to expect a striker that can deliver quantity and quality of goals against that benchmark. 

The lack of ambition disguised as 'realism' on here is what really gets me down, not people criticising players. 

56 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Having a striker that scores goals, who we can get behind/kids get excited about, would bring fans back. Not the shit sandwich Ive seen served up the last couple of years ...

I like Kane, but he's not a finisher. I know folks have their doubts, but I think May would do splendidly back in a blue shirt...

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

I agree.

53 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I think Kane's OK. My opnion has always been that he's a good level for the Championship and as utility hold-up or 3rd choice squad striker. Absoluely nothing has really changed my view on that in his time with us. I also agree that getting on the backs of players isn't really fair, unless they are not interested, not trying, not keeping fit or being disruptive. Kane is a player that clearly works his sock off and plays for the team. I like him.

But that's just my view. I'm certainly not going to criticise other supporters for having a view on a player's performace or suitability, and I'll never presume to suggest that anyone isnt' 'a real fan'. 

As for the rest of the post, what I read is yet more 'we should get down and know our place' stuff that's on here far too often for my liking. We're a regular top 6 Premiership team and we have every right to expect a striker that can deliver quantity and quality of goals against that benchmark. 

The lack of ambition disguised as 'realism' on here is what really gets me down, not people criticising players. 

Decent reply but my point is -  teams with far bigger crowds and money than us - (lets say Hearts for instance) are still looking for that elusive striker with bags of goals. It's called being realistic.

My aspirations are the same as yours but there is something to be proud of in that we are run prudently and professionally and if the club keep working hard we will bring through another young Steve May who hopefully we will encourage from the stands.

Kane always gives it his all. A lot of pressure lumped on him when he's played as a loan striker, as others have said, needs to play alongside another striker, a partnership. Dont know if anyone saw Roddys interview on twitter the other day. There was something he said about how Saints played back in his day. Cant remember his exact words but referred to attacking football or the attacking formation they played. Seemed to suggest Saints/teams dont play that way anymore.

Edited by Rob

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

Kane has his uses. I doubt he'll ever score 15-20 goals in a season but he works hard and would be a decent foil for a goalscorer. Certainly don't think he's anywhere near as bad as he's made out to be at times.

If Tommy wants a dozen goals from our wingers what do you suggest a good return from our main striker is?

37 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

If Tommy wants a dozen goals from our wingers what do you suggest a good return from our main striker is?

Depends, purely my opinion but first choice you'd hope would get well into double figures.

Second choice between 5-10, third around 5.

Kane would ideally be a 3rd choice option for a top flight team. Subbie to come on run about and help maintain leads or striker to run about and close down defenders/midfielders when playing stronger sides. 

Hes an awful finisher, but at the same time it's not his fault we're relying on him scoring every chance he gets.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Dont know if anyone saw Roddys interview on twitter the other day. There was something he said about how Saints played back in his day. Cant remember his exact words but referred to attacking football or the attacking formation they played. Seemed to suggest Saints/teams dont play that way anymore.

We played 4-3-3, with Roddy through the middle and Moore and Maskrey on either wing.

Purely in terms of the way we played, that was the best attacking St Johnstone side I've ever watched over a season.