Player contracts and transfers

David123

3 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Decent reply but my point is -  teams with far bigger crowds and money than us - (lets say Hearts for instance) are still looking for that elusive striker with bags of goals. It's called being realistic.

My aspirations are the same as yours but there is something to be proud of in that we are run prudently and professionally and if the club keep working hard we will bring through another young Steve May who hopefully we will encourage from the stands.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep aiming for 'decent' with my posts.

The word 'prudent' is very different to 'successful'. Prudent, in management terms, is entry level. It's really easy. Anyone can not spend money. In fact the 'prudence' is what directly leads to the empty seats. I keep saying this, but it's not a building company. It's an entertainment business. 

What's rarer and harder, and showbiz thrives on, is a bit of vision and charisma, which we are sorely lacking. But I do think you are right, it's entirely unrealistic to ask for that with this current regime. 

It's an age old business adage - you can't cut your way to growth. I honestly think we have a 'penny wise and pound foolish' management team that would be happy enough with a solvent club, mid-table Championship team. 

3 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Statistically Kane is poor.

Working hard should be a given...in any job.

Not always. 

Andrea Pirlo and Graeme Le Saux (just off the top of my head) were bone idle. You need a mix in a team at work ... I'll take someone smart, inspirational and a bit lazy over some of the absolute plodders who only know how to put in a shift, if that's what the job needs. Hard work is hard, but anyone can do it. It's not a talent and is often a substitute for effectiveness. 

I think that's a big part of the Kane issue in that he makes up for playing flair with graft. But, as others have said, he's not being played best as a lone striker. Same as the work analogy - you can transform performance by finding someone the right role. 

10 minutes ago, SconeSaintees said:

According to Courier Aberdeen & St Johnstone still in talks regarding Stevie May??

I can't say I'm surprised if this is true. He's currently sitting in the stand at Pittodrie and no one else seems interested in him. 

Does that mean he'll be easier to deal with though? Or should that be Brown will be easier to deal with?

6 minutes ago, cristo said:

I can't say I'm surprised if this is true. He's currently sitting in the stand at Pittodrie and no one else seems interested in him. 

Does that mean he'll be easier to deal with though? Or should that be Brown will be easier to deal with?

Good question, somebody needs to sit the two of them down and broker a deal as Brown seems totally incapable of doing that. He couldn't negotiate a drink at a free bar

Edited by SconeSaintees

32 minutes ago, SconeSaintees said:

According to Courier Aberdeen & St Johnstone still in talks regarding Stevie May??

“But unless someone can convince me otherwise, come hell or high water, I will not change my mind. That’s it. If I think that’s the right way and no one can give me something to change my mind, that’s it."

“It doesn’t matter if the manager jumps up and down, puts four or five pages of moans in the paper or goes on the radio, or whoever else wants to have pop.

“I’m bulletproof and you need to be. If you’re easily influenced, you’ll never be a good leader"

I think people need to move on from the Stevie May story, us signing him would require Bulletproof to change his mind..

14 minutes ago, The Kinross Saint said:

“But unless someone can convince me otherwise, come hell or high water, I will not change my mind. That’s it. If I think that’s the right way and no one can give me something to change my mind, that’s it."

“It doesn’t matter if the manager jumps up and down, puts four or five pages of moans in the paper or goes on the radio, or whoever else wants to have pop.

“I’m bulletproof and you need to be. If you’re easily influenced, you’ll never be a good leader"

I think people need to move on from the Stevie May story, us signing him would require Bulletproof to change his mind..

That interview really, really boils my piss.

1 hour ago, cristo said:

General belief was that May was walking away from Aberdeen without any pay off. This means I guess he is likely to want as close to his current wage elsewhere.

If we can’t match it and May himself clearly wants to come to us, are we trying to help negotiate a payment from Aberdeen which sees him released and us then being able to get closer to what he would want?

St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright believes ‘big black cloud’ over McDiarmid Park has lifted

There is still no sign of a new striker but the news on Wright’s injured players is cause for further optimism as Saints prepare for their weekend trip to Easter Road.

“I believe in the players we have here and Drey Wright has been back training with us, which has given everyone a lift,” Wright reported. “He’s looked really good, although he won’t be ready for the competitive stuff until his consultant says he’s ready.

Liam Gordon is available

Tommy said “So when we add to the squad – which will happen – then I’ll be happy with what we’ve got.” “The chairman knows who we want and he’s working hard to make it happen.”

Full article:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/960485/st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wright-believes-big-black-cloud-over-mcdiarmid-park-has-lifted/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

It will be great to have Drey back but that does not help the team in our weaker positions all it does is relegate MOH to the bench

5 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Full article:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/960485/st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wright-believes-big-black-cloud-over-mcdiarmid-park-has-lifted/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

It will be great to have Drey back but that does not help the team in our weaker positions all it does is relegate MOH to the bench

I don't see why we can't have Wright and MOH in the same team, given that MOH can play right, left or up front. When Tommy first brought MOH back he said he was signing him with the intention of using him as a striker.

16 minutes ago, shiresaint said:

General belief was that May was walking away from Aberdeen without any pay off. This means I guess he is likely to want as close to his current wage elsewhere.

If we can’t match it and May himself clearly wants to come to us, are we trying to help negotiate a payment from Aberdeen which sees him released and us then being able to get closer to what he would want?

While we busily spend weeks (months?) dithering around with the May deal ("have this much... no, have less... actually, let's make it a loan") he's probably also in talks with other clubs. Given his current situation and Saints' flaky incompetence when it comes to getting things done (see also the Hemmings nonsense), he'd be crazy not to be. I really wouldn't be all that surprised if he ends up signing for someone else completely out of the blue. 

14 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

using him as a striker

It is my opinion and I have said it many times, I believe MOH is not a striker; he can't win a ball in the air, he struggles to hold the ball up waiting on support and he does not score enough goals. He is best played out wide where I think Wright and Kennedy will play. Hence why I said he, will drop to the bench as can not strengthen our weakest positions.

It is just my opinion, he and Swanson have been tried up front already this season and showed nothing to indicate they can fill this position.

Edited by Johnny B

On 8/21/2019 at 2:34 PM, Johnny B said:

In my opinion the negativity for Kane stems from the role he plays in Tommy's 1 up formation, it does not suit his style of play. Also the number chances he misses.

On the positive side he gets himself into a position where he has the opportunity to score and his work rate is second to none.

But like all centre forwards, he is judged on goals scored not his work rate.  .

This quickly turns in to a negative though, when he consistently fails to score. 

I don't want to be just constantly slating the guy but it's clear he's not good enough as a striker at this level. Just trying hard isn't going to cut it. 

18 hours ago, tucker said:

Dave McKay and muzz bargain 50 k,del got us some great players midge was another bargain

*Puts on Pedants Hat :cool:
technically that is inaccurate, fee was in fact only paid for Davidson and that fee was £45k.  He was initially refusing to move because Livingston owed him £5k in unpaid wages/bonuses.  Deal was thrashed out that Saints would pay him the £5k personally and Livingston received the £45k as a transfer fee.   Dave Mackay was the added to the deal at the last minute as Livvy's were desperate to get him off the wage bill.