Player contracts and transfers

David123

Its been a long time coming but if Stevie can find his form again, our front line has to be up there in terms of the potential attacking threat.

The defence has been dodgy, but they say the best form of defence is attack....

From the sounds of the forum thing tonight, may be a right back and left back before the window...but nothing else unless players go out.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I don't know if he posts on here, but a poster on P&B has mentioned what Steve Brown had to say about the first collapse of the May deal...

Untitled.thumb.png.84bd0d0921a56b2dc9f9de13b31a20ea.png

So, in a roundabout way, we paid a transfer fee for Stevie. However, as it wasnt a direct transfer fee as such and was Saints paying Aberdeen a severance payment, then presumably the agent wouldn't get a cut of the transfer fee......

Whatever way, good to see May join. He certainly is keen to come to the club, so hopefully that transfers onto performances on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

So, in a roundabout way, we paid a transfer fee for Stevie. However, as it wasnt a direct transfer fee as such and was Saints paying Aberdeen a severance payment, then presumably the agent wouldn't get a cut of the transfer fee......

Whatever way, good to see May join. He certainly is keen to come to the club, so hopefully that transfers onto performances on the pitch. 

Paulo has again put up a pretty detailed post about how Vine ****ed over the whole deal on P&B, including trying to extract money from both clubs, and us waiting for an update from Vine after a promise, an update that never came.

Sounds like to get May we've had to use the budget for another player.

FWIW I don't get the impression Vine was involved this time. Being mentioned a lot that Mays own desire to rejoin played a major part in things.

Edited by RandomGuy

I always said Vine was the problem. He played a major part in this saga. SB copped some massive hidings (and TW too)... but it looks like a great negotiation by SB... he waited to get that "severance" down as low as possible, and must have had lengthy, complex discussions with Aberdeen to accommodate the terms & bypass Vine. Brilliant business.  The energy & confidence of the squad is now lifted 100%. That is worth a transfer fee alone....

We need  Saints slant on this classic... easy to put St.johnstone in place of Caledonia... would love a local band to cover it & blast it out of the crappy speakers...

Edited by Melbourne Saint

Perhaps a left-back on loan and a right-back on a permanent contact.

I imagine the May saga has taken up the wages of both Watt and Alston. We were already over budget, which is why Shaunnessey has been replaced by a loan. Foster's wage hopefully was fairly decent, which can be replaced by a good right back. If the left-back's wage can be lower than Easton's I'd imagine we'd be just about right.

If Ando and McMillan go, would a centre midfielder be what we are looking for? It seems with McCann's performance on Saturday, that might be less of an issue? 

3 minutes ago, Linky said:

Perhaps a left-back on loan and a right-back on a permanent contact.

I imagine the May saga has taken up the wages of both Watt and Alston. We were already over budget, which is why Shaunnessey has been replaced by a loan. Foster's wage hopefully was fairly decent, which can be replaced by a good right back. If the left-back's wage can be lower than Easton's I'd imagine we'd be just about right.

If Ando and McMillan go, would a centre midfielder be what we are looking for? It seems with McCann's performance on Saturday, that might be less of an issue? 

Possibly. McCann is, what, 19? Probably too early to depend on him too much?

17 minutes ago, andrew said:

Possibly. McCann is, what, 19? Probably too early to depend on him too much?

Indeed Tommy says as much here: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/965975/st-johnstone-midfielder-ali-mccann-has-a-big-future-in-front-of-him/

I don't recall Tommy ever actually pointing to centre midfield as an area he was looking to strengthen even after Midge left.  I could be wrong though.

6 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Rb isn’t Ralston as far as I’m aware,so Miller might be an option

I would tend to agree  that it will not be Ralston.  We have just brought Duffy in from Celtic on a permanent deal so to then bring in a loan player who appears to be higher up the Celtic pecking order than Wallace was would send out the wrong signals.

Expect it to be an experienced RB permanent signing and a LB on loan so yes Miller from Celtic would be a good option.

21 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Rb isn’t Ralston as far as I’m aware,so Miller might be an option

Miller shouldn't be an option though. He stank Dundee out at left back last season, and spent the second half of the season playing behind the striker for Ayr.

A mention of Jason Naismith on loan on P&B. That would be a tremendous signing, even if it was just temporary.