Player contracts and transfers

David123

4 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

I suspect the work over the next few months will no focus on contract renewals. Who should we keep, move on and who still has the Jury out?

Just for the sake of the conversation, those going out of contract are...

Max Johnstone, Steven Anderson, Drey Wright, Ross Callachan, Liam Craig, Ali McCann, Matty Kennedy, Danny Swanson, David McMillan, Chris Kane and Callum Hendry.

In my opinion...

Wright, McCann, Kennedy all stand out as cast iron certainties, although I'm sure its been admitted we've tried to speak to Wright and Kennedy but their agents are refusing to sign anything.

Callachan, Kane and Hendry all have to prove themselves worthy this year, but I'd be tempted to give them all a further year as they're handy squad players.

McMillan is gone.

Craig and Swanson I'm not sure, probably depends how they play this year. Right now I'd be keeping Craig and verging on letting Swanson go.

Anderson would be let go, hes not good enough and we've made mistakes lately of holding on to players too long (Wright and Mackay both got new deals that they never saw the end of).

Johnstone I've no idea about.

17 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Just for the sake of the conversation, those going out of contract are...

Max Johnstone, Steven Anderson, Drey Wright, Ross Callachan, Liam Craig, Ali McCann, Matty Kennedy, Danny Swanson, David McMillan, Chris Kane and Callum Hendry.

In my opinion...

Wright, McCann, Kennedy all stand out as cast iron certainties, although I'm sure its been admitted we've tried to speak to Wright and Kennedy but their agents are refusing to sign anything.

Callachan, Kane and Hendry all have to prove themselves worthy this year, but I'd be tempted to give them all a further year as they're handy squad players.

McMillan is gone.

Craig and Swanson I'm not sure, probably depends how they play this year. Right now I'd be keeping Craig and verging on letting Swanson go.

Anderson would be let go, hes not good enough and we've made mistakes lately of holding on to players too long (Wright and Mackay both got new deals that they never saw the end of).

Johnstone I've no idea about.

In my opinion:
Anderson, Callaghan and McMillan will leave. McCann will be offered a contract to stay. As for the others it all ifs and buts.

If Kennedy and Wright have good seasons they will be off. Their agents’ actions reflect this. Therefore we need a contingency, is it to keep Swanson or do we pick up someone on a pre-contract in January? The risk there is what if Wright or Kennedy stays. Hence I believe the pre-contract is a non-starter, unless both Kennedy and Wright sign pre-contracts with another team.

Kane and Hendry, I agree they have to prove themselves worthy this year. I believe only one will survive and if possible, we should look for a striker on a pre-contract. 

Craig needs a good season to get a contract.

Swanson as stated above depends on his performance and what happens with Kennedy and Wright. 

Max Johnstone, I too have idea but I do not think it is significant in the big picture.

Holt and Ralston will return to their parent clubs

Therefore next season, we could be looking to replace 7 players
In defence Ralston.
In Midfield, Kennedy, Wright, Craig and Holt (arguably could be one of our starting midfield selections)
Forwards McMilland and 1 form Kane and Hendry.

But as you said for the sake of conversation,  because if worst scenario happens and we get relegated all those that have a relegation release clause; Clark, Kerr and O’Halloran will also have to replaced.

5 hours ago, Cagey said:

If Holt turns out like we hope ,he will be away to a bigger club.

I think this is right. Tommy talked of ‘helping Holt out’ and him ‘helping us out’ which suggests to me that he has no one intention of signing permanently. I think our hope would be that he has a 7/10 season - not good enough for a bigger club to be interested, but good enough for us to sign him full-time.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Amy McDonald wading into Tommy for being a hothead in Sun. Her husband is not ?.

Can't do a link but very interesting article.

She seems to suggest that there was a confidentiality clause but then accuses wright of throwing his toys out the pram and telling him to f off and don't come back. This is the same person who said it was lies and he was not suspended or subject to any discipline. Etc. 

As she has seen fit to spout out despite a supposed confidentiality clause I suppose I can do the same from the “Peebles pubs” angle and what I heard was that Ricky stuck the head on Tommy after getting a bollicking at training. Although overall as a decent player for us his temper was always possibly going to let him down. He has seriously fallen out with someone at every club he has been at. In the long run I think we are better off without him.