Player contracts and transfers

David123

17 minutes ago, Cagey said:

To compare him to another so called top striker who couldn't score either is not a true reflection of what is required from a striker.

These are the strikers that we have been able to attract to the club in the last couple of seasons.  Every team in the league would look for a 15 goal a season striker but only a few could afford one and do not see many kicking about.

4 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I think United’s recent financial reports do that for him

A tad obtuse. As far as I’m aware it doesn’t publish Shankland’s salary (mainly due to the fact that they are from before he was a Dundee United player) - which by the way, is nothing like some of the ridiculous figures that have been banded around.

Decent signing-on fee, yes, absurd salary, no!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

19 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

A tad obtuse. As far as I’m aware it doesn’t publish Shankland’s salary (mainly due to the fact that they are from before he was a Dundee United player) - which by the way, is nothing like some of the ridiculous figures that have been banded around.

Shanklands wage is widely reported as the largest they've had since they signed McInnes straight from the EPL.

Either way, its beyond what we could spend on a second tier striker.

15 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Can you substantiate that last statement as that flies in the face of all the reports about his deal when he signed? I’m not disputing it, just wondering how you seem to know differently from all the reported figures bandied about.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:44 PM, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Not saying my contact but apparently £3000 a week with United 

9 minutes ago, tucker said:

Big January transfer window coming up,I'd let Swanson,the Estonian lad, booth, and Callahan go

We'll have the same issue we had this Summer. Who's going to take them?

Vihmann should be easy to get rid of, the rest might need released, which costs money which defeat the whole point.

1 hour ago, tucker said:

Just show's how much we are missing Joe,foster and Easton this season

I thought at the Hamilton game that it was a pity he wasn't wearing blue. He is now not getting a game why? neither is Alston but he didn't play that much for us. Never thought we would but we do miss Joe.

7 hours ago, tucker said:

Big January transfer window coming up,I'd let Swanson,the Estonian lad, booth, and Callahan go

We need a centre half and a decent left and right backs, Tanser is okay but he's either a seven or a three out of ten,most weeks the lower mark

Agree. I'd also get Ralston back to Celtic if we can get another right back. He's championship level at best.

I like tanser, but I think he suffers from having no confidence in the players playing beside him in the back line, so feels he needs to go forward.

Whatever we end up with, we are really lacking experience and vocal players.

Slightly left field (pardon the pun..) but maybe liam craig at left back and push tanser into left CB? Cannot be worse than what is there at the moment and I think we are lacking Liam's voice when he's not in the team.

Alternatively, go with 5 at the back and play with wing backs. Whatever it is, this defence is so poor, that until the Jan window opens, we need to change something.

So in Jan:

Out:

Swanson

Callighan

Estonian

Booth

Ralson

In:

2 CB's with experience and pace

Right back

Big target CF who can play up top on his own

Messi

I think the only likely signing we’ll get is a centre back in January, and that would be on loan. No way we can shift players. The Estonian will go back, and someone will come in. I know he’s not popular, but Hendry on loan from Celtic would be an improvement. Otherwise, Dikamona has complained about not getting enough game time at Hearts. Very few players would want to sign a contract with a team that looks like they might be going down.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We'll have the same issue we had this Summer. Who's going to take them?

Vihmann should be easy to get rid of, the rest might need released, which costs money which defeat the whole point.

I’d be willing to dip into the cash reserves in order to avoid relegation. Freeing up the wages of Swanson, Vihmann, Booth, Callaghan to bring in a quality(Or at least experienced decent) centre-back is equally as important as spending thousands on bringing a player(s) in.

It’s clear that none of the aforementioned players are able to get us out of our current predicament so PLAN B needs engaged.

Duffy and Ralston(given the current situation) are not the answer. Kerr has been very poor, he has cost us a lot of goals this season, but deserves to be stood by, as does Zander. Tanser has built up enough good will over the last couple of seasons to deserve to stay but the other two need to go along with the aforementioned Swanson, Vihmann, Booth and Callaghan.

11 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I’d be willing to dip into the cash reserves in order to avoid relegation. Freeing up the wages of Swanson, Vihmann, Booth, Callaghan to bring in a quality(Or at least experienced decent) centre-back is equally as important as spending thousands on bringing a player(s) in.

It’s clear that none of the aforementioned players are able to get us out of our current predicament so PLAN B needs engaged.

Duffy and Ralston(given the current situation) are not the answer. Kerr has been very poor, he has cost us a lot of goals this season, but deserves to be stood by, as does Zander. Tanser has built up enough good will over the last couple of seasons to deserve to stay but the other two need to go along with the aforementioned Swanson, Vihmann, Booth and Callaghan.

Completely agree. Vihmann on loan so youd hope that could be ended early, and Booth is only contracted until January so that's two easily away.

Callaghan I've no idea, suspect he'd find a Championship team (maybe even a Hamilton/St Mirren club) so could potentially agree a cut price deal for his final 6 months of contract. Not convinced Swanson will go, big wage with us which he wont get anywhere else. 

That's three players away that have barely played. Get Anderson back (I think hes done, but off the pitch and in training would be far more use than Vihmann).

So we're a left back and central midfielder down. We've got McCann, Holt, Davidson and Craig for the middle, no worries there.

The absolutely ideal, perfect, signing is an experienced, quality, centre back who could also play left back in an emergency. If they've experience of this league, it would be incredible. I think Ralston would be passable if the defence around him wasn't a complete mess.

Would give us a chance.

Edited by RandomGuy

The biannual RG transfer wishlist...

Out: Vihmanns loan ended, nobody will notice hes gone. Booths contract expires in the Winter anyway, let him go. Callachan punted, hopefully accept a termination since hes in his final 6 months, should pick up a club who will play him, so everyone wins. 

Ideally Swansons decent wage is also taken off, either by getting him out the club, or negotiating a wage cut, hes not contributing enough to be worth it. Not convinced this is realistic.

In: Get Anderson back from the Raith loan, he's not top flight standard anymore, but he'd be a huge benefit off the pitch especially in training. Let him work with Duffy. 

At this stage, we'd ideally have 3 (maybe 3.5) wages to play with, and we'd only be a LB (who hasn't played a minute) and a CM (sixth choice) down.

That should give a fairly decent chunk to sign a CB. Ideally an experienced CB who can cover the left. Perfect if they've played at this level before.

Players that might fit?: (TOTAL SPECULATION WARNING!) -- Liam Ridgewell (CB, has played LB before, vastly experienced. At Southend and contract expires in the Summer, has only played one match for them, a six month deal to get himself playing regularly might suit all parties). -- Alan Sheehan (33yo CB, played LB in his early career. At Luton, contract expires in Summer and has barely played. Over 250 in Tier 2/3 of English football). -- Sol Bamba (CB, hugely experienced, and had over 70 games in the Scottish top flight. Isn't playing for Cardiff, six months left on his deal and approaching the end of his career).

No idea how realistic those are, financially. Ridgewell would be my first choice, huge experience at higher levels, and can play on the left side. Then Bamba who has the benefit on playing at this level before. Sheehan is a total no nonsense ****er, his pedigree is the weakest, but hes the most affordable.

Any of those for 6 months, ideally Ridgewell, and while we're at it, offer Rickie Lamie a contract offer for next season. 

Problem solved.

Clark

Ralston - Kerr - Ridgewell - Tanser

Wright - Davidson - McCann - Wotherspoon

Kennedy

May

Reserves: Parish, Duffy, Anderson, Gordon, MOH, Holt, Craig, Swanson, Hendry, Kane

We can't give Wright another transfer window. His signings have been abysmal.

Even when he signs players who we are happy with & come with a decent reputation ,he can't get the best out of them. Scougall,Alston, Callahan. He even brought in Holt who has spent more time in stand than on the field.

There are loads more over the years that I can't think of so as it's a quiet week feel free to add names that I can't remember.