Player contracts and transfers

David123

36 minutes ago, Linky said:

What Tommy wants and what Tommy gets are different things.

Everyone else knew we needed a new centre half this time last year, why has he only realised it now? There seems to be no planning ahead in the transfer policy. 

He tried to sign Gallacher from Livingston but he chose Motherwell so its not as if it wasn't a target area.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

He tried to sign Gallacher from Livingston but he chose Motherwell so its not as if it wasn't a target area.

Yes, but I’m not sure a shortlist of one quite cuts it. Our problems now started last season as we didn’t identify replacements, then continued with the May debacle in the Summer. I’m not sure how much is based on the Chairman trying to get things on the cheap/last minute and then missing out to other clubs though.

13 hours ago, Linky said:

Yes, but I’m not sure a shortlist of one quite cuts it. Our problems now started last season as we didn’t identify replacements, then continued with the May debacle in the Summer. I’m not sure how much is based on the Chairman trying to get things on the cheap/last minute and then missing out to other clubs though.

I don't think we will ever know the inner workings as the chairman says one thing and the manager says another. We have had gaps in the squad for long periods of time ever since Chris Miller was frozen out. 

Defence, central midfield and striker have all needed attention over the last few seasons. The fact there was never a suitable person filling it can't all be down to the budget that Brown sets.

22 hours ago, Linky said:

What Tommy wants and what Tommy gets are different things.

Everyone else knew we needed a new centre half this time last year, why has he only realised it now? There seems to be no planning ahead in the transfer policy. 

Seems a bit disingenuous to say he's only just realised it, given that he signed Vihmann, tried to sign Gallagher, tried to keep Shaughnessy and was probably looking at other options for the role too.

37 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Seems a bit disingenuous to say he's only just realised it, given that he signed Vihmann, tried to sign Gallagher, tried to keep Shaughnessy and was probably looking at other options for the role too.

One other factor no one has noted in all this goes back to the meet the board event - the role of agents. 
How do we know that they didn’t mess up our recruitment, or at least contribute to it?

It’s not as straightforward as we might think or portray - we’re commenting without important facts. Not defending the club, but trying to balance things a bit.

1 hour ago, andrew said:

One other factor no one has noted in all this goes back to the meet the board event - the role of agents. 
How do we know that they didn’t mess up our recruitment, or at least contribute to it?

It’s not as straightforward as we might think or portray - we’re commenting without important facts. Not defending the club, but trying to balance things a bit.

Good points, and agents seem to be issue with a lot of these deals, just sometimes saints seem to lack a contingency plan and put all the eggs in one basket and when a deal.falls down are left scraping the barrel, but tbh none us really know the ins and outs. 

Hopefully get an experienced centre on a free or in the january window, there again Brown might decide there us no budget.

Edited by crieffsaintandy

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Whatever the ins and outs, we are without a central defender. The transfer situation has been bad - everything seems rushed, with little planning ahead. The Foster situation didn’t help, but was outside Tommy’s control I imagine. I’m a Tommy fan, but this hasn’t been handled well.