Player contracts and transfers

David123

22 hours ago, andrew said:

One other factor no one has noted in all this goes back to the meet the board event - the role of agents. 
How do we know that they didn’t mess up our recruitment, or at least contribute to it?

It’s not as straightforward as we might think or portray - we’re commenting without important facts. Not defending the club, but trying to balance things a bit.

Correct.

19 hours ago, Linky said:

Whatever the ins and outs, we are without a central defender. The transfer situation has been bad - everything seems rushed, with little planning ahead. The Foster situation didn’t help, but was outside Tommy’s control I imagine. I’m a Tommy fan, but this hasn’t been handled well.

I think it's fair to say that Saints over the last few years have found signing players to be extremely difficult. It's hard for us on the outside to know exactly why that is - does Tommy lack the ability to spot the right players, or struggle to convince players to come here? Is it all about budget? Or is it the chairman's fault for not getting the negotiations right? I don't think it's forward planning that is the issue,  personally - I think Tommy is pretty good at planning ahead and knowing what he wants, but it's in pulling off those plans once the transfer window opens that we seem to fall short. For example, the manager has openly talked about needing a central defender in the next window, so the forward planning is there, but I still suspect we'll be scrabbling around desperately trying to get a target to come in when the window is about to close.

Coyle, McInnes and Lomas all seemed to find it relatively easy to bring in players and even managed to attract bigger names than we'd often expect (possibly partly due to their contacts and personas?). Wright, on the other hand, has always really struggled in this area.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think it's fair to say that Saints over the last few years have found signing players to be extremely difficult. It's hard for us on the outside to know exactly why that is - does Tommy lack the ability to spot the right players, or struggle to convince players to come here? Is it all about budget? Or is it the chairman's fault for not getting the negotiations right? I don't think it's forward planning that is the issue,  personally - I think Tommy is pretty good at planning ahead and knowing what he wants, but it's in pulling off those plans once the transfer window opens that we seem to fall short. For example, the manager has openly talked about needing a central defender in the next window, so the forward planning is there, but I still suspect we'll be scrabbling around desperately trying to get a target to come in when the window is about to close.

Coyle, McInnes and Lomas all seemed to find it relatively easy to bring in players and even managed to attract bigger names than we'd often expect (possibly partly due to their contacts and personas?). Wright, on the other hand, has always really struggled in this area.

Yes, I have wondered exactly where the fault lies. There are some comments that suggest it is the Chairman: when Tommy said the Chairman 'likes a wee flutter' when it comes to the end of the transfer window, it sounded like Tommy wakes up the next morning and finds out who the Chairman has bought this time! There also seems to be a lot of mixed messages: Tommy says he wants a striker and a central defender, for example, and then comes out and says there is no budget for anyone. 

Is it that the Chairman believes he can get a good deal if he waits until the last minute because players are desperate? Maybe he's been priced out of pre-contract arrangements too many times because players' agents play clubs against one another? Either way, it comes across as if we're scrabbling around at the last minute.

13 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I have a season ticket and still don’t turn up often. Entertainment value isn’t great if we’re being honest. Even when we win, it’s usually not a great way of spending 2hrs 

That is the main reason apart from poor results that I want Tommy to GTF. The support has dwindled over the years due to anti football over the past few seasons. The row I sit in the East used to be filled by season tickets now there are loads of seats without stickers on them.

11 minutes ago, Cagey said:

That is the main reason apart from poor results that I want Tommy to GTF. The support has dwindled over the years due to anti football over the past few seasons. The row I sit in the East used to be filled by season tickets now there are loads of seats without stickers on them.

Want me to quote our average attendances, or will you just admit you're talking absolute pish and save me the bother?

37 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Horrendously disrespectful. 

TW has been nothing short of a hugely successful manager for Saints.

Agree with your first sentence but we are in a league of 10 average teams with a few years without Sevco & Edinburgh clubs out of the league so we may have done a lot better with a decent manager.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Agree with your first sentence but we are in a league of 10 average teams with a few years without Sevco & Edinburgh clubs out of the league so we may have done a lot better with a decent manager.

Such as? More Scottish Cups? More top 4 finishes?

TW is far from perfect and and has made some bad signing decisions this season but I genuinely don't believe that another manager could have achieved more.

Do you remember when you were young and you thought that your parents were never wrong about anything? Do you remember the day when you first realised that they actually blether absolute shite on a regular basis?

Well, I started posting on this forum as a youngster who believed that Cagey’s posts were knowledgable and measured.

18 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Do you remember when you were young and you thought that your parents were never wrong about anything? Do you remember the day when you first realised that they actually blether absolute shite on a regular basis?

Well, I started posting on this forum as a youngster who believed that Cagey’s posts were knowledgable and measured.

No. I thought my parents were always wrong!  Might start calling Cagey Dad 

Edited by Pat McGroin