Player contracts and transfers

David123

If I was given the remit of describing a defender that we would NOT want in our squad at present, I reckon I would pretty much sculpt Efe Ambrose.

We need Jim Weir, Michael Duberry, Frazer Wright...

We need blood, sweat and tears. Someone who can barely kick the ball the length of themselves but would rather piss broken glass than lose a header or concede a goal.

Alan Hutton, without a club, is worth a punt. He is not a centre half but we could do with a man of his experience in a defence of Tanser, Ambrose, Kerr and Hutton. Short Term obviously to bring some stability. Have we got the dosh to have them until January though. Pay per game maybe.

Edited by Dutch Saint

Quite a few options out there for experienced centre backs but some of them will either be too expensive or too risky... I’d argue that we need to spend some cash and take some risks so I guess that opens things up.

Notables were Christopher Samba(Blackburn, QPR, Aston Villa) and Marc Wilson(Stoke, Sunderland, Bolton)

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

ITK guy on P&B says we've been speaking to Ambrose for the past month and its not looking likely, so that maybe puts into perspective where the budget is.

Hes been without a club since the Summer and hasnt playing since January. 

Maybe Hibs being mentioned to up the anti by agent. New manager just in the door so can't see him moving as fast without assessing what he has.

As you say he hasn't kicked a ball in earnest for 10 months & never got on the pitch for Derby.

We have required a CB for a while & Ambrose has been available so why now.

20 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

If I was given the remit of describing a defender that we would NOT want in our squad at present, I reckon I would pretty much sculpt Efe Ambrose.

We need Jim Weir, Michael Duberry, Frazer Wright...

We need blood, sweat and tears. Someone who can barely kick the ball the length of themselves but would rather piss broken glass than lose a header or concede a goal.

We could do with "Blood , sweat and tears" .

Liked their "Got to get you into my life".

Folk turning their noses up saying Ambrose is a bomb scare?

He would instantly improve our defence, then when fit would probably be our best player. We probably have no chance of it happening anyway but some folk need a reality check on the standard of your average Saints player.

I would take Ambrose in a heartbeat.  Think a few in here content to remember a handful of mistakes he has made in the last 10 years and use those as the basis to write him off as a "bombscare" without actually having watched him much.  Same sort of folk that wouldn't have taken Encklmann becuase he once conceded a daft own-goal.    

Hibs fans would take him back in a second, as would the rest of the Hibs defence (Porteous continually pointed to him as a key part of his development, talking him through games and adding composure and calm when they needed it most).  

Blood, sweat and tears sounds great but I would rather have a bit of calm and correct decision making.  

If Ambrose is a free agent, why do we have to wait till January to sign him ?  I was under the impression that free agents could be signed at any point, as long as their previous contracts had been terminated before the end of the transfer window.

This makes me think that this is all a bit of a smokescreen, as if we really wanted him, we could just sign him now and get him fit before January.

1 minute ago, Saint Paul said:

If Ambrose is a free agent, why do we have to wait till January to sign him ?  I was under the impression that free agents could be signed at any point, as long as their previous contracts had been terminated before the end of the transfer window.

This makes me think that this is all a bit of a smokescreen, as if we really wanted him, we could just sign him now and get him fit before January.

We don't have to wait until January to sign Ambrose. There are a vast number of reasons why players don't instantly sign for Saints when we come knocking.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:13 PM, Pink said:

I would take Ambrose in a heartbeat.  Think a few in here content to remember a handful of mistakes he has made in the last 10 years and use those as the basis to write him off as a "bombscare" without actually having watched him much.  Same sort of folk that wouldn't have taken Encklmann becuase he once conceded a daft own-goal.

Yeah yeah, you’re right, that would be CRAZY to assume that Enckelman was mistake prone after seeing that one mistake.. totally!!

https://youtu.be/OWq_ujkyBVc

8 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Using Enckelman as an endorsement to sign Ambrose is a worse idea than Prince Andrew deciding to give the BBC an interview.

Enckelman had so many clangers with us.

Apparently Tommy has had a look at Prince Andrew, after hearing he could score in a brothel.

• 2 weeks later...

So, what realistically needs to happen in the January transfer window?In order to get anyone in, we need to move the following players on:

Swanson (I actually think he offers more than O’Halloran, but the manager doesn’t seem to agree)

Callachan

Vihmann

We then have 2 choices, change to a 5-4-1 formation, and add 2 new central defenders, move Kennedy to sit just behind May and Wright to right wing back.

Or, bring in one central defender and another striker to play alongside May in a 4-4-2 formation (either Kane or Hendry need to go out on loan)

For the striker I’d suggest bringing MacLean back. Central defenders need to have experience, perhaps Whittaker from Hibs or Dikamona from Hearts. We haven’t got time to look outside the box at anyone beyond the SPL. Anyone without a club will have to take too long to be fit. These will have to be loans as no one will want to sign for a club bottom of the table.

12 minutes ago, Linky said:

So, what realistically needs to happen in the January transfer window?In order to get anyone in, we need to move the following players on:

Swanson (I actually think he offers more than O’Halloran, but the manager doesn’t seem to agree)

Callachan

Vihmann

We then have 2 choices, change to a 5-4-1 formation, and add 2 new central defenders, move Kennedy to sit just behind May and Wright to right wing back.

Or, bring in one central defender and another striker to play alongside May in a 4-4-2 formation (either Kane or Hendry need to go out on loan)

For the striker I’d suggest bringing MacLean back. Central defenders need to have experience, perhaps Whittaker from Hibs or Dikamona from Hearts. We haven’t got time to look outside the box at anyone beyond the SPL. Anyone without a club will have to take too long to be fit. These will have to be loans as no one will want to sign for a club bottom of the table.

Bringing McLean back?? 

I know we are requiring an experienced player but surely there are experienced players that are younger than him 

Edited by mainstand

10 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Bringing McLean back?? 

I know we are requiring an experienced player but surely there are experienced players that are younger than him 

Our options are limited. Who wants to play for a club bottom of the table? We know he links up well with May. He knows the club, knows Tommy, gives everything, I doubt any new Hearts manager would be that bothered about keeping him.