Player contracts and transfers

David123

2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Any of the other clubs that have been in our situation and managed to escape have done it by spending and changing the manager.

I'd be quite interested to know if that's actually true, or just a perception. I reckon a lot of clubs that have failed to escape relegation have probably also changed their manager but it hasn't worked. On both of the last two occasions when Saints have been relegated, we've changed our manager mid-season but still gone down (replacing McClelland with Sturrock, and Clark with Stark).

4 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Anderson was totally done at this level and we'd be no better off if he'd stayed.  All it would have done was tarnish his legacy.

I don’t agree. He’d have marshalled that back line in a way that’s desperately needed. Him and Foster both would have pulled the young players through games. We really needed one old head in there

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Bottom of the table and needing to “pull a rabbit out of the hat” in January is not ideal..

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5042736/st-johnstone-tommy-wright-robert-thomson/

Glad to see journalists calling them out on it. A lack of forward planning has completely ****ed us this season. Easton, Anderson and Shaughnessy were all set to leave us this Summer, yet the only defender we proactively signed was Wallace Duffy, its embarrassing.

I love MOH and May, but in January we could've agreed a PCA with Gallagher, and signed Lyndon Dykes for £10k, I refuse to believe we'd have spent more money doing that, nor that we would be in this position if we had. Sometimes feels like we're just signing the players we think are the best out there rather than scouring the market and picking the best option out of that.

3 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Bottom of the table and needing to “pull a rabbit out of the hat” in January is not ideal..

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5042736/st-johnstone-tommy-wright-robert-thomson/

Absolutely spot on.

Sentimental signings...an obsession with wingers....and a complete lack of foresight....the table never lies.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

For the sake of comparison, Kilmarnock have a Head of Recruitment, and four permanent scouts. Motherwell have a Head of Recruitment and three permanent scouts. Hamilton have a Chief Scout and another permanent scout.

We have nothing.

Saints signing policy = agent texts Tommy ,I hear you need a defender. I have one on my books that I can't get signed. You can have him but I will need my percentage.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:48 PM, Cagey said:

Lawless being linked with Dunfermline.

Looks like we can't compete with Forrest Green or Dunfermline.

It may be that we have shown no interest in them but if not why not ?.

I can't think of who we ARE going to go for but those 2 were top of my list. 

There is no one else I can think of that we could sign.

Lawless pulling the strings for Livi & scored 7 goals from midfield.

Wish Tommy would listen to me.

I think if we had also gone for Dykes after we beat QoS after extra time we probably would have had a chance of getting him.

45 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Saints signing policy = agent texts Tommy ,I hear you need a defender. I have one on my books that I can't get signed. You can have him but I will need my percentage.

That's what I've been told. Either an agent letting them know, or a player known to the manager who gets enquired about.

27 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Not true, ours work ad hoc. 

They aren't staff, I'm sure we had a "scout" who watched Drey Wright, but that was after a tip off from an agent. Nobody is actively scouting games for us weekly.

20 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Lawless pulling the strings for Livi & scored 7 goals from midfield.

Wish Tommy would listen to me.

I think if we had also gone for Dykes after we beat QoS after extra time we probably would have had a chance of getting him.

Dykes signed for Livingston for a minimal fee 5 months after that game. 

We can out spend Livingston in fee, and wages, if we want to, so if we'd wanted him, we wouldve got him. Failure to spot these type players right under our nose, who are cheap, young, and capable, is putting ourselves under huge pressure to find quality. 

Done right a proper recruitment set up pays for itself after a year or two.

48 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

We were solidly linked with quite a few players who chose other clubs. Was that down to finances or that they didn't like our recruitment process?

“The staff have been really good since I got here. It’s a lot more professional than what I was used to last year.

“Everything is a lot more organised. I’ve really enjoyed my time so far.

“Already I can see benefits to my game working with the sports scientist here.

“And the coaching and information I’m taking in every training session is definitely affecting my game already and I can see it improving.

“I’m getting my proteins in me, better food and a wee bit more one to one time, more things that are specific to what I need to on the pitch instead of doing it as a group collectively.”

How professional do you think Saints come across to prospective signings, considering what happened with May this Summer?

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

“The staff have been really good since I got here. It’s a lot more professional than what I was used to last year.

“And the coaching and information I’m taking in every training session is definitely affecting my game already and I can see it improving.

“I’m getting my proteins in me, better food and a wee bit more one to one time, more things that are specific to what I need to on the pitch instead of doing it as a group collectively.”

How professional do you think Saints come across to prospective signings, considering what happened with May this Summer?

Prospective signings , with respect, like you probably do not have the full story.  Stewart Milne of Aberdeen also told May's representative where to go when he tried to extract additional funds after deal was done.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I am in no way defending the Saints set up but I was illustrating that we have identified good targets but not been able to get them. The points in the article seemed to just aim at the recruitment side of problems.

37 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I am in no way defending the Saints set up but I was illustrating that we have identified good targets but not been able to get them. The points in the article seemed to just aim at the recruitment side of problems.

We identified Declan Gallagher, and literally nobody else. Meant that when the Gallagher deal fell through, as deals do, we had no other targets so started from scratch, we didnt sign anyone else until Vihmann joined on loan at the end of July.

TW found out in February Gallagher had agreed to join Motherwell, are you telling me we approached a number of similar targets, none of who's names reached the press (remembering that even the deal for Wallace Duffy, a complete nobody at the time, was rumoured for months before he joined) and they all said no due to things out of his control? Or is it more likely we have no list of targets, and simply go for players the manager rates, and when one of them fall down, we start from scratch with TW asking his friends and agents for potential players?

Motherwell are light years ahead of us. They have four scouts around the UK watching games. One of their senior CBs suffered a major injury on 27th July, within a week they had a CB on trial who signed for them just a month after that. Hes stepped in and looked comfortable at this level. They done this before with Cedric Kipre who got them £1m previously.

That's what we should be doing, we should have a main target, and a list of fall back targets, all in place months before a window comes around, all players the manager wants and are gettable. We lost Shaughnessy, lost out on Gallagher, and ended up with Vihmann on loan 6 months later. 

Its embarrassing. 

Edited by RandomGuy

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

We identified Declan Gallagher, and literally nobody else. Meant that when the Gallagher deal fell through, as deals do, we had no other targets so started from scratch, we didnt sign anyone else until Vihmann joined on loan at the end of July.

TW found out in February Gallagher had agreed to join Motherwell, are you telling me we approached a number of similar targets, none of who's names reached the press (remembering that even the deal for Wallace Duffy, a complete nobody at the time, was rumoured for months before he joined) and they all said no due to things out of his control? Or is it more likely we have no list of targets, and simply go for players the manager rates, and when one of them fall down, we start from scratch with TW asking his friends and agents for potential players?

Motherwell are light years ahead of us. They have four scouts around the UK watching games. One of their senior CBs suffered a major injury on 27th July, within a week they had a CB on trial who signed for them just a month after that. Hes stepped in and looked comfortable at this level. They done this before with Cedric Kipre who got them £1m previously.

That's what we should be doing, we should have a main target, and a list of fall back targets, all in place months before a window comes around, all players the manager wants and are gettable. We lost Shaughnessy, lost out on Gallagher, and ended up with Vihmann on loan 6 months later. 

Its embarrassing. 

You should apply for a job Random you seem to have all the answers.

I think the reality of running a club with limited resources is a completely different.