Player contracts and transfers

David123

1 minute ago, Johnny B said:

I read McInnes wants to sign him before the week end. This will be so that he is not cup tied with us. If he is not playing this week end he is away.

Only if it suits us. Aberdeen have to put up something to make it worth our while for us to jettison our best player.

37 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I read McInnes wants to sign Kennedy before the week end. This will be so he is not cup tied with us. If Kennedy is not playing this week end he is away.

He is away anyway. Dispute is if it is now or summer.

Do Saints play him on Saturday or not. That is the question. If Aberdeen don't want him cup tied they have to put in a really good offer before Saturday.

53 minutes ago, Cagey said:

He is away anyway. Dispute is if it is now or summer.

Do Saints play him on Saturday or not. That is the question. If Aberdeen don't want him cup tied they have to put in a really good offer before Saturday.

A GS Brown billboard in Pittodrie should be sufficient for bulletproof

If he is gone, I'd like to see us change our formation. Two wingers playing right down the line doesn't suit our strikers (apart from Hendry maybe) or Wotherspoon. 3 at the back, Wright and Tanser as wing-backs. They can make runs forward, but do more work defensively. Berra (or whomever) acts as sweeper. Play through the middle. I think MOH is better running at defenders through the middle, May needs those balls passed through the defenders for him to run on to.

Clark

Kerr      New defender (Berra?)    Gordon

Wright                                                                                   Tanser

Davidson      Holt        McCann

MOH

May

I'd prefer Swanson for MOH, Hendry for May & Craig for Holt - but I know I'm in a minority on those 3.

However, I think it more likely that Tommy will put Wotherspoon on the left and look for another striker & centre-back. We'll still play with 1 striker even with 4 in the squad.

2 hours ago, Linky said:

If he is gone, I'd like to see us change our formation. Two wingers playing right down the line doesn't suit our strikers (apart from Hendry maybe) or Wotherspoon. 3 at the back, Wright and Tanser as wing-backs. They can make runs forward, but do more work defensively. Berra (or whomever) acts as sweeper. Play through the middle. I think MOH is better running at defenders through the middle, May needs those balls passed through the defenders for him to run on to.

Clark

Kerr      New defender (Berra?)    Gordon

Wright                                                                                   Tanser

Davidson      Holt        McCann

MOH

May

I'd prefer Swanson for MOH, Hendry for May & Craig for Holt - but I know I'm in a minority on those 3.

However, I think it more likely that Tommy will put Wotherspoon on the left and look for another striker & centre-back. We'll still play with 1 striker even with 4 in the squad.

I'm not normally a fan of 3-5-2 but with our current squad (as long as we bring in another centre-half) I think this could work quite well. An extra man in the middle at the back, Tanser freed up to play a more attacking role, we keep our central midfield three together and May gets some support up front.

19 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'm not normally a fan of 3-5-2 but with our current squad (as long as we bring in another centre-half) I think this could work quite well. An extra man in the middle at the back, Tanser freed up to play a more attacking role, we keep our central midfield three together and May gets some support up front.

It also means we don't have to try to replace Kennedy, which would be very hard. Yes, I'd be happy with Booth instead of Tanser too. Playing this formation means we'd only need one signing - central defender. Although if Callachan and Swanson leave, I'd suggest we need someone to challenge MOH's position.

If we can get £50k for him and save in the wages, then that might allow wright the funds to bring in a couple of players. Possibly better still if he can move a few out.

I wonder though if he might be tempted to play MOH out wide and either bring in a new number 9 or play a combo of May, Kane and Hendry up top.

Either go a ridgid 4-4-2 with MOH wide or play him as the 2nd striker, but with a totally free role, with maybe tanser as on left mid. Not a million miles away from now, but instead of Kennedy having the freedom, give it to MOH.

I'd rather not have someone still here who has signed a PCA with someone else, even if he is our best player.

24 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

If we can get £50k for him and save in the wages, then that might allow wright the funds to bring in a couple of players. Possibly better still if he can move a few out.

I wonder though if he might be tempted to play MOH out wide and either bring in a new number 9 or play a combo of May, Kane and Hendry up top.

Either go a ridgid 4-4-2 with MOH wide or play him as the 2nd striker, but with a totally free role, with maybe tanser as on left mid. Not a million miles away from now, but instead of Kennedy having the freedom, give it to MOH.

I'd rather not have someone still here who has signed a PCA with someone else, even if he is our best player.

Let’s be greedy 100k and a 20% sell on clause 

35 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

Let’s be greedy 100k and a 20% sell on clause 

I agree let's play tough, no point in a player swap they will not offer us anyone decent and there is unlikely to be anyone around we could sign quickly.

Not completely convinced McInnes wants him before the summer.  The actual quote from Del does not suggest he wants him now.  An immediate move seems to be Sun speculation, it was Hearts who wanted him now and were prepared to offer Berra in some sort of deal. 

42 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Charlie Mulgrew has returned to Blackburn Rovers from a loan spell at Wigan Athletic. Could be worth trying to loan him until the end of the season, we need an experienced defender. 

We couldn't get near his wages. Plenty of clubs ahead of us would offer more. Players from the Championship aren't going to move to the lower reaches of the SPL.

Aberdeen just pulled off a coup by signing Dylan McGeough, someone not getting in the team at a League One club. This is the gap between England & Scotland.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

We couldn't get near his wages. Plenty of clubs ahead of us would offer more. Players from the Championship aren't going to move to the lower reaches of the SPL.

Aberdeen just pulled off a coup by signing Dylan McGeough, someone not getting in the team at a League One club. This is the gap between England & Scotland.

Sunderland might be a league 1 club at the minute but there’s no way they’re paying league 1 wages 

4 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

£50k. I will be pissed off if we let him go for less than £100k.

£50k would be a kick in teeth. We are in a relegation dog fight & giving away our most productive & constructive player would be a disgrace & I am sure will lose us more than £50k & a few supporters.

17 minutes ago, Cagey said:

£50k would be a kick in teeth. We are in a relegation dog fight & giving away our most productive & constructive player would be a disgrace & I am sure will lose us more than £50k & a few supporters.

Yes. £50k isn’t even prize money for 1 higher position. I wouldn’t let him go for that. No chance. 

10 hours ago, mainstand said:

Its not a case of caretaker of mediocrity it is quite simply a case of not having the size of support and finances that can match Aberdeen, a club that has just spent millions on their new training ground and plan on spending millions on a  new stadium. and have people on board that have many millions more than the browns in the bank.

We have to accept that we are going to be a club that will unearth some gems who will move on to biggest clubs and whilst it is annoying it will open the door for some other players who are maybe in the same position as matty was when he came to the club and will see us as a way forward.

Sad to see him go but players move on that is the world we love in.

I understand, i know our place .... but despite the whisky enabled rant last night, dont we have the money in the bank to keep someone like matty?

He be worth 2 places in the league for all we know, worth bums in seats for the long term as he was entertaining to watch....

At some point, caretaking versus any kind of aspiration gets to a tipping point and we will fall a division, and/or bounce off bottom of spfl with lower and lower crowds.

I guess i just worry in where the end game is for saints....and as someone moving back in next 5 years or so, i have selfish motivation.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I'd be surprised, although glad, if we got a six figure sum for someone who is out of contract in less than 6 months.

I say £50k as once he signs a pre contract his value will drop immediately. We may get £100k if both Hearts and Aberdeen want him now and are willing to compete for him.

I do like the idea of a sell on clause though. Either side might east get a seven figure sum for him in a year or two.

Inverness just got £80k for Coll Donaldson, whos out of contract at the end of the season, had agreed to join ICT in the Summer, and whos played Championship football for the past few years.

Anyone who thinks £50k for Kennedy is reasonable is miles off.

Relegation would cost us over a million. ICTs turnover dropped around £700k they year the got relegated. We'd be around the same, with the knowledge the wages of those we have contracted for next season would surpass what ICT had.

1 hour ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

I understand, i know our place .... but despite the whisky enabled rant last night, dont we have the money in the bank to keep someone like matty?

No. Aberdeens average attendance is four times higher than ours, you couldn't actually fit their average attendance in our stadium. 

It was revealed in December their yearly wage bill is £9.2m. We don't publish ours, but it'll be less than Dundee (£3.5m) and United (£4m).

Its quite conceivable Aberdeen could treble a St Johnstone players wages quite easily.

Even with a wage bill of ~£3m, we lose money. 

I don't see any real way we could fight against Aberdeen for a player, and a players agent will be well aware of Aberdeen being interested by the time we start talking to them.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Inverness just got £80k for Coll Donaldson, whos out of contract at the end of the season, had agreed to join ICT in the Summer, and whos played Championship football for the past few years.

Anyone who thinks £50k for Kennedy is reasonable is miles off.

Relegation would cost us over a million. ICTs turnover dropped around £700k they year the got relegated. We'd be around the same, with the knowledge the wages of those we have contracted for next season would surpass what ICT had.

Not a hope in hell County paid £80k for Donaldson!! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I think he is worth £50k, I'm saying that's what i think we'd get. With saved wages, it'd be nearer £100k vs keeping him.

Any other club would get 6 figures, but this is saints we are talking about.

Either way, we will never know as it will be 'undisclosed'. 

21 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Not a hope in hell County paid £80k for Donaldson!! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I think he is worth £50k, I'm saying that's what i think we'd get. With saved wages, it'd be nearer £100k vs keeping him.

Any other club would get 6 figures, but this is saints we are talking about.

Either way, we will never know as it will be 'undisclosed'. 

With £50k and the saved wages vs goals and assists provided in the second half of the season, I think we’d finish at a net loss