Player contracts and transfers

David123

2 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

I understand, i know our place .... but despite the whisky enabled rant last night, dont we have the money in the bank to keep someone like matty?

He be worth 2 places in the league for all we know, worth bums in seats for the long term as he was entertaining to watch....

At some point, caretaking versus any kind of aspiration gets to a tipping point and we will fall a division, and/or bounce off bottom of spfl with lower and lower crowds.

I guess i just worry in where the end game is for saints....and as someone moving back in next 5 years or so, i have selfish motivation.

So we go out and offer him a mega bucks contract to keep him at the club. The agent that negotiated that contract has Zander and your McCann so immediately gets them to rock the boat in an effort to get an extended contract at the same rates as Kennedy. We are soon left not with £2m in the bank but a £2m overdraft ala livi Motherwell Dundee and rangers all of whom felt the consequences of paying over the top wages. 

I personally think we have the players that can cover for his departure so not overly concerned although I would have liked him to stay. 

44 minutes ago, mainstand said:

So we go out and offer him a mega bucks contract to keep him at the club. The agent that negotiated that contract has Zander and your McCann so immediately gets them to rock the boat in an effort to get an extended contract at the same rates as Kennedy. We are soon left not with £2m in the bank but a £2m overdraft ala livi Motherwell Dundee and rangers all of whom felt the consequences of paying over the top wages. 

I personally think we have the players that can cover for his departure so not overly concerned although I would have liked him to stay. 

We should aim to be a selling club. That way, we’re bringing in guys with ability who might have lost their way a bit, then benefiting them and ourselves by letting them shine.

We stuffed up here by not signing him on a longer deal quickly. You could see his ability when he pinged in a thunderbolt 30 yarder on his debut at Station Park. 

With players as good as Matty, longer deals should be on the table ASAP. 

Same with Drey. 

11 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Should have had him on a longer contract which could have protected us better financially.

All the best. A super talent.

I think everyone is forgetting that Steve Brown declared early last year that he was frustrated that Kennedy's agent refused to entertain contract talks until a "later date". It was the same with Dre Wright who was still on the treatment table when Brown tried to open negotiations.

It is frustrating but players come here find brilliant form and then look for a bigger stage where often they dont realise the form they displayed at St.Johnstone. It's something we should be proud of and display our bona fides when trying to encourage a player who we want to come here.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

In other news, Record reporting Ross Callachan will join Dundee on loan, should be done before the weekend.

Good luck to the lad. Something has gone on as the guy is not a brilliant footballer but he gave everything & his display at Dens was brilliant. I think he could score a few for Dundee.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Good luck to the lad. Something has gone on as the guy is not a brilliant footballer but he gave everything & his display at Dens was brilliant. I think he could score a few for Dundee.

I agree Cagey. The lad had a real motor about him and added a good bit of stability in midfield. I was sure he would come back in to the picture,  seems strange he just dropped out of favour. He always gave a 100% - good luck to him.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I am sure they are ,but he was out of Tommy's plans before McCann became a regular & Holt was signed.

Was he? He started most games at the end of last season.

This season hes started the first League Cup game, and the first league game. McCann replaced him in the first game, then started most games since, and Holt arrived after game 3 or 4.