Player contracts and transfers

David123

Just now, SconeSaintees said:

Absolutely pathetic that he has to do that

It's more than pathetic. It shows a lack of communication and trust within the club. Either the transfer policy is agreed or not. Tommy shouldn't be going to the press to show up the board, and complain about a lack of signings. But the board shouldn't put him in that position.

We had this in the summer too. It has led to a soap opera, distracting the players from what should be happening on the pitch.

Let's say the board come to Tommy and say 'look, money is really tight, we know it's bad, but we can't sign anyone until more players leave'.

He should be going to the press saying, 'I'm really confident that my squad has what it takes to finish the season in a strong position. If we are able to sign anyone, that would be a bonus, but we already have some excellent players and I have every confidence in their ability to make sure the club finishes in a strong position'. Sometimes you have to put a brave face on a shitty situation for the sake of the reputation of the club, player morale and so on.

Edited by Linky

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51239246

No offers in for any players. No incoming player even in talks with the club.

Manager confirms more players have to leave before hes allowed to sign anyone.

We have 17 fit senior players.

Wake up Saints.

Hold on a minute.

We've just let a pretty good midfielder ( Callaghan) go to Dundee- brought to the club by TW along with Swanson.

I back TW to the hilt but if we were that threadbare why are we letting cover go?

Also, Tommy must have agreed to letting Matty leave so there again why leave yourself short at a critical time of the season.

15 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

The chairman's been pretty generous with his cash....Tommy should be looking in the mirror and thinking about how much of our cash he's wasted before he gives it all this chat.

I agree here.

Let's not read too much into this either - "If people don't like me saying it, that is tough, but that is where we are. "

He might be directing this at fans being impatient.

I think we will have a quality signing in and playing against Celtic on Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I agree here.

Let's not read too much into this either - "If people don't like me saying it, that is tough, but that is where we are. "

He might be directing this at fans being impatient.

I think we will have a quality signing in and playing against Celtic on Wednesday.

Sometimes it feels like either Tommy only finds out things like Kennedy leaving at the same time we do, or he's on a mission to annoy fans with bad news when it's not actually warranted. Otherwise, why come out with such a strange statement just before the news hits that Kennedy has left.

4 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I hope you are right but to get a quality signing in by next Wednesday Tommy would surely have to have someone at least on the hook by now and he says he has nobody.

Incidentally, he said we had 17 fit outfield players, so we are holed below the waterline but the pumps are still working.

8 minutes ago, south inch said:

I hope you are right but to get a quality signing in by next Wednesday Tommy would surely have to have someone at least on the hook by now and he says he has nobody.

Incidentally, he said we had 17 fit outfield players, so we are holed below the waterline but the pumps are still working.

It's a good point but maybe there is somone in the background who is procrastinating and needing a prod.

I'm not buying it that TW sanctioned Kennedy leaving without someone in mind.

4 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

£20K to Cally to release our pre contract and £50K down payment on Ross Wallace from the black cats.

Wallace plays for Fleetwood town doesn't he. I wouldn't pay money for someone who is arriving for free in 6 months, not sure the Chairman would either!