Player contracts and transfers

David123

2 hours ago, south inch said:

I thought people just bought the Sun to look at the pictures.

So we should not believe the 'actual quotes' from Tommy in the various papers? Surely if they were made up, he and the club would be suing them? 

If this was all brinkmanship, then it  goes too far in my view and makes the club look poorly organized. 

Edited by Cleveland-Saint

Sure, the Sun is a tabloid newspaper known for 'embellishing' the truth. But why anybody would think that they'd bother to embellish the truth in regards to St Johnstone FC, I genuinely have no clue. I hardly think that sensationalist stories relating to St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright are going to drastically improve their readership.

Tommy Wright had a "positive" meeting with St Johnstone chairman Steve Brown on Monday, and insists there is "no divide" between manager and board.

Wright appeared to be at odds with the Perth powerbrokers on Friday being so far unable to add to his "thin" squad during the January transfer window.

Saints are eighth in the Premiership after beating Kilmarnock on Saturday.

"People that know me, know that I have a wee rant every now and then," manager Wright said.

"I have had a positive meeting with the chairman this morning. There is no divide so everything will hopefully fall into the place in the next few days."

The St Johnstone manager said last week he had to offload players before he could bring new ones in, adding that he had missed out on a number of potential signings.

And Wright, whose side host Celtic in the Premiership on Wednesday night, hopes to have a few new faces on board before the transfer window closes at the end of the week, with winger Matty Kennedy having left for Aberdeen on Friday.

"We are in talks with Inverness to try and get Jamie's [McCart] pre-contract into a permanent one now, and there are discussions ongoing with other clubs at the minute," he said.

"There are a few things happening, so hopefully later on in the week they will materialise, there are still a few days left in the window, and if we can get Jamie done and possibly two others, then that will put the squad back in a healthy position."

Home fans in one stand can 'galvanise' support

St Johnstone recently announced that they would be giving Celtic and Rangers supporters three stands for their remaining league meetings with the Old Firm sides at McDiarmid Park this season.

The move will mean home fans will be housed solely in the West Stand and will come into effect for the first time on Wednesday.

As well as generating increased income, the club said it will create a "partisan atmosphere" from the home support.

And Wright added: "It will probably galvanise our support, I think it will bring them into the one stand, I think the majority of our fans understand why the club did it.

"It is a decision I know the chairman has been talking about for a long time, I believe Kirsten [Robertson - head of football operations] probably looked at it in a bit more detail and reported back to the board, and the decision was made.

"I was fully aware that they were going to do it, because they did ask me in terms of what effect, if any, it would have on the football side, and I didn't think it would have any effect. In fact, I think it might have a positive effect for us, we are getting all our supporters in the one stand."

No way will Watt be coming back. Probably more likely that we would get Macca back for a bit.

Not a huge fan of bringing players back unless they played their best football at the club. Even then its just because its our best option.

Edited by Rob

45 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Would rather have Kenny Miller if we are going for has-beens.

Unfortunately hes joining a team in the Scottish third tier...

Watt would be a huge upgrade on Kane. I'm not sure we should be spending as much, wage wise, as we presumably would be on another striker who doesnt really score much, but if we could get Swanson out and use that wage for Watt, I think it would be a smart move. Hes more than capable of noticing May's runs and playing the ball through defences for him, he done it for Kennedy.

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Unfortunately hes joining a team in the Scottish third tier...

Watt would be a huge upgrade on Kane. I'm not sure we should be spending as much, wage wise, as we presumably would be on another striker who doesnt really score much, but if we could get Swanson out and use that wage for Watt, I think it would be a smart move. Hes more than capable of noticing May's runs and playing the ball through defences for him, he done it for Kennedy.

My thoughts exactly. 

He suffered a bit like May has, in that he started playing the wider areas a lot more as the season wore on. 

I think they could make a great double act.