Player contracts and transfers

David123

Agree it's pure speculation, sorry if that wasn't clear.  I'm a pessimist by nature.  I don't buy the 'it takes time' thing though.  Why would anyone with a family to support agree to terminate a contract of employment unless they were damn sure they wouldn't be left out in the cold?

Be an optimist, it is far more fun : )

Agree it's pure speculation, sorry if that wasn't clear.  I'm a pessimist by nature.  I don't buy the 'it takes time' thing though.  Why would anyone with a family to support agree to terminate a contract of employment unless they were damn sure they wouldn't be left out in the cold?

Exactly. I think we're roughly on the same page, just coming to different conclusions! He was about to join us on loan and would have had the security of the permanent deal at Coventry. If he didn't think that the club he was happy to join could afford/wanted him, then he would never have agreed to terminate his contract when we would've brought him in on loan anyway. Indeed, it could be that Saints said they would offer him 2/3 years on those terms and he was willing to take the hit financially for longer term job security? Bearing in mind that Coventry will have paid up at least a percentage of his contract.

He said that he would be 'assessing his options', but that's one throwaway sentence in the whole interview. He said he as keen to come back to Saints, he loved the area, his wife loved the area, he got on well with the players etc etc etc.

I really don't see any need to panic. If he goes elsewhere, we move on. If he signs, then we know we're getting a guy who fits into the squad, is exciting to watch and that will score/create some goals for us.

No, I know nothing other than he has left Coventry and there has been no announcement of him signing with us or anyone else.  However, my frustration is compounded by certain people posting 'he has signed a 2 year deal, reliable source' pish.

You've surely been on here long enough to know not to believe what's been posted as 'fact' :laugh:

Exactly. I think we're roughly on the same page, just coming to different conclusions! He was about to join us on loan and would have had the security of the permanent deal at Coventry. If he didn't think that the club he was happy to join could afford/wanted him, then he would never have agreed to terminate his contract when we would've brought him in on loan anyway. Indeed, it could be that Saints said they would offer him 2/3 years on those terms and he was willing to take the hit financially for longer term job security? Bearing in mind that Coventry will have paid up at least a percentage of his contract.

He said that he would be 'assessing his options', but that's one throwaway sentence in the whole interview. He said he as keen to come back to Saints, he loved the area, his wife loved the area, he got on well with the players etc etc etc.

I really don't see any need to panic. If he goes elsewhere, we move on. If he signs, then we know we're getting a guy who fits into the squad, is exciting to watch and that will score/create some goals for us.

Actually all that you said in the above makes perfect sense. I cannot believe you are the same person who banned me.

Playing the role of devil's advocate, what if Danny Swanson had almost agreed a loan deal with Saints before receiving a better offer (in the form of a potential permanent deal) from another Scottish club? Danny then decided to discuss this with Coventry, they allowed his contract to be terminated, and he is now free to sign for that club. In the meantime, he will 'stick to his word' by talking to Saints first. However, he knows very well that he will be going elsewhere.

Just stoking the fire a little bit. The wild speculation has gone a bit quiet during the last hour or so. I'm keen that it lasts for at least a couple more days.

Playing the role of devil's advocate, what if Danny Swanson had almost agreed a loan deal with Saints before receiving a better offer (in the form of a potential permanent deal) from another Scottish club? Danny then decided to discuss this with Coventry, they allowed his contract to be terminated, and he is now free to sign for that club. In the meantime, he will 'stick to his word' by talking to Saints first. However, he knows very well that he will be going elsewhere.

Just stoking the fire a little bit. The wild speculation has gone a bit quiet during the last hour or so. I'm keen that it lasts for at least a couple more days.

Something about how he comes across in interviews just makes him seem genuine.  I'm not sure i think the same of Steve Brown.  I could just be a very bad judge of character though.

That could well be the case. However, I'm not sure why he would then come out in the press talking up Saints, Perth, how much he liked being here etc if that was true.

I think the biggest thing about Swanson is how open he is about his mental health and well being. I genuinely think he would sacrifice a bigger pay packet to give himself the best possible chance of remaining healthy.

He came to Saints and he'll happily tell you it's be best he'd felt in a very long time. Considering his past mental health problems - and manager's totally disregarding him because of them - I think that really helps Saints in terms of any negotiations.

I'll say one thing, this guy had better be bloody good!!!

Did you not watch last season?  We went from a team who would go whole games without making a single shootiing chance to a team worth watching because of his influence.  Without him last season we'd probably have finished 7th or 8th at best.

Even if he's half as good as he was last season he'll be an improvement to the squad.

But i don't believe he'll be at Saints this season.