Greg Hurst (2018)

Released

Michael Doyle

Plamen Krachunov

Scott Brown

Simon Lappin

Loan ended

Darnell Fisher

State of play with our squad. Sutton seems to be on the cusp of joining St Mirren.

Looks strong to me. I'd like to see us sign another striker once Sutton leaves, and I'd like us to swap McKay for a competent replacement.

4 players signed and all will feel aggrieved if left out on a match day, looking good. All we need now is a creative quick as feck front man. 

Ryan Dow is increasingly looking like the missing piece of the jigsaw... I still have a hunch that he might join, I think a sticking point might be that Tommy is not willing to GUARANTEE him first team football....

Ryan Dow is increasingly looking like the missing piece of the jigsaw... I still have a hunch that he might join, I think a sticking point might be that Tommy is not willing to GUARANTEE him first team football....

I think that horse has bolted. TWs comments today suggest he won't be signing anyone until we shift out the deadwood, which seems to suggest we've no offers for players on the table anywhere.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/farid-el-alagui-i-could-ve-done-so-much-more-at-hibs-1-4148575

Clearly very keen to stay in Scotland and obviously trying to get his name out there. Worth a punt? 

He's been constantly injured for about 3 seasons now. If we're looking for a striker and he impresses during a trial, maybe, but I certainly wouldn't be rushing in for him.

When you compare those that have left with those who have been brought in, on paper it looks very positive: Krachunov, Doyle and Brown had much less of an impact on the first team than you imagine any three of the newcomers will have.

Lappin and Fisher did contribute though, but hopefully Alston and Watson can more than make that up.  Add to that a fit Dave Mackay as defensive cover.

We've released/ lost 3 defenders and 2 midfielders and brought in 1 defender and 3 midfielders. (Our numbers in defence boosted by Mackay, Gordon and Gilchrist).

Sutton moving on for a new striker would be ideal.

I can't see Brad Mackay moving on at the minute, I don't know who would be prepared to buy out his contract as he didn't overly impress at Dunfermline.. There's maybe still an opportunity for him to turn round his career at Saints.

I don't think we need Dow.. Our midfield/ wide areas have plenty of options.  It's just the forward area I think we need a fresh face,

It's just the forward area I think we need a fresh face,

I don't disagree, but it's that inherent dilemma of developing players that every forward signed is another 1000 minutes or so taken away from Kane, and on the other hand a proper injury to Maclean or Cummins and Kane is a starting striker (if we ever play 2 up.....).

Add in Coulson who I think can play up front as well as on wings and I'd only want a proper striker to come in, someone of Sandaza quality rather than a gamble like Cummins (even though he's been a gamble that paid off).

The only two exceptions to that would be someone like El Alagui who potentially ticks both of those last two boxes, but would have to be on a short deal christmas or even the mythical pay-as-you-play, or a loaned player whose development we don't care about as such, meaning that if the tie is ever not in the balance a fit Kane gets priority.

I don't disagree, but it's that inherent dilemma of developing players that every forward signed is another 1000 minutes or so taken away from Kane, and on the other hand a proper injury to Maclean or Cummins and Kane is a starting striker (if we ever play 2 up.....).

Add in Coulson who I think can play up front as well as on wings and I'd only want a proper striker to come in, someone of Sandaza quality rather than a gamble like Cummins (even though he's been a gamble that paid off).

The only two exceptions to that would be someone like El Alagui who potentially ticks both of those last two boxes, but would have to be on a short deal christmas or even the mythical pay-as-you-play, or a loaned player whose development we don't care about as such, meaning that if the tie is ever not in the balance a fit Kane gets priority.

I sse this differently all together 

For me a proven goal getter is main priority either now or at very latest next Summer

Macca is What 34:now?hes been great for us but cant play on Astro and can't go on for ever.needs to be phased out slowly  although if he stayed fit one more season would nt be a major issue for me although as i said hes limited but with good management he should be fine

I just worry slightly though if he is out what do we have

Kane? -Not ready for regular first team games,   but light weight and easy pushed off the ball

he might come on but is he ready to be first choice striker? I have my doubts 

Cummins?  I see him more as secondary striker playing on left of main striker

none of the young lads are ready 

so for me yes we need a proven striker 

where from though. Not an easy position to fill