Player contracts and transfers

David123

Shiels won't come to us. We can't afford him. Just like Stevie Fletcher and Danny Graham being released by Sunderland, would love either of them but miles outta our budget. 

We do need another striker, dare I say Ciftci since we are signing every other Yinited players and Celtic will be having a clear out. Haha

Edited by St Mikey

Shiels won't come to us. We can't afford him. Just like Stevie Fletcher and Danny Graham being released by Sunderland, would love either of them but miles outta our budget. 

We do need another striker, dare I say Ciftci since we are signing every other Yinited players and Celtic will be having a clear out. Haha

Brian Graham

I don't disagree, but it's that inherent dilemma of developing players that every forward signed is another 1000 minutes or so taken away from Kane, and on the other hand a proper injury to Maclean or Cummins and Kane is a starting striker (if we ever play 2 up.....).

agree that the best thing would be if Kane kicks on and becomes a regular, I think it's what many Saints fans would enjoy the most; a home grown player taking the league by storm (again!).

but I think it should be because he proves himself better than those around him, and not simply getting a game because we have limited options.  It is that difficult balance though, of how does he develop and get upto the standard if he doesn't play regularly, whereas should he be left in if he's not doing it?

for me, I tend towards the tougher option, i.e. players only start if they're making an impact on the park.  For what it's worth, I thought the game time Kane got last season was about right.  When he played well or scored, he got a run of a few games, if he was struggling he came out the team.

didnt realise Coulson also played as a striker.  I did wonder if we would see more of one player up and one just off the front (Swanson?) in games next season, especially harder fixtures, given the depth we appear to have in midfield.

St Mirren fans saying that Sutton will join them tomorrow, although we've heard that one before. Lappin seems to be heading that way too. 

if that happens, we'll hopefully have room in the budget for another striker as I'd imagine Sutton would've been on a high earner. 

Noel Hunt?

Would prefer El Bhaktoui from Dunfermline. Hunt is still a decent player, but we don't need another aging player, would like someone still hungry. Do think we need another striker. Macca can't play on Killie or Hamilton pitches, so if we get an injury to either of the other two, we'll be struggling.

Guest ScottMann

If Lappin and a still under contract Sutton are heading to a Championship team that is isn't exactly rolling in cash, withing a few weeks of the season ending, perhaps we aren't paying them as much as some think.

Wow, I was thinking Shibbydoo had a really reasonable point there, but then you extrapolated his point far beyond the boundaries of what he could possibly have meant to show his logic doesn't apply in that particular situation, and now I just don't think I can take Shibbydoo seriously at all. What a fool he is!!

Maybe Sutton wasn't earning that much, maybe he was. His prospective move to St. Mirren indicates precisely nothing either way given the numerous variables. Lappin is out of contract, so was earning nothing, so his move indicates nothing either.

If Sutton moves we will have to pay him something to leave....say 1/4 of next years salary. There's no way he'll move to St Mirren, or anywhere else, to be paid significantly less in salary.

I disagree. 

Mutual consent suggests both parties take some kind of a hit. 

We give him a small payoff and he accepts to play regularly he takes a drop in wages. 

Or St Mirren could bid £10 and we can accept

I'm genuinely lost. We'd accept £0.

The problem is making Sutton accept. I'd say it's highly likely (but not guaranteed) his deal at St. Mirren is less, and it's fairly likely well make a small contribution to that if there is a gap. I wouldn't expect it to be exactly the same as the difference though, which is where the first team football at one of the bigger non-spl clubs comes in.