Player contracts and transfers

David123

Guest ScottMann

Or an unexpected player sale for £500,000.

What a frustrating,tight fisted, Sevco loving, arse of a chairman we have.

Yep. If he isn't actually sanctioning a new striker then it's another case of the difference between being good with money and just being out and out tight.

Its fairly obvious, and happens across all the major countries. You just have to watch them competing against our lot to see the difference in size.

So you have absolutely no proof whatsoever.  Growth hormones are illegal in sport.

His football strategy is based upon damage limitation and the constant fear of a future relegation.

Here today, here tomorrow.

Better cash in our bank than paying a McFadden like player who contributes to being a bench warmer.

All our expert opinions have identified zero strikers on this thread... so glad we have not signed some old geezer who we know wouldn't be good enough for the level we aspire. 

Still time yet to get someone in.  Could be playing a game verse the Agents, nope we aren't signing anyone now... Agent reduces contract demands..?

Other countries do the whole dietary stuff better than us as well. We are starting to get there, but our culture is embedded in eating unhealthy shit

Not just that but follow any saints youth player on Twitter, especially our former youth players and all they talk about is getting steaming. No wonder they aren't all strapping Micah Richards types. 

Given the current apparent restrictions on our playing budget, I for one am glad we signed Paul Paton when we did. It would be hard to take seeing him controlling the midfield at one of our competitors. 

You on a wind up.

Paton is this seasons Sutton & Morgan. Tommy unwiling to admit his mistake & keeps playing them in the hhope 

Brown sanctioned a slightly improved player budget and we ended up with Coulson, Paton, Alston and Watson. These four additions have brought very little to the party either thro poor performances or in Watsons case yet more injuries. Not sure any money left to add to squad now and I'm not convinced the budget was spent wisely. 

Brown sanctioned a slightly improved player budget and we ended up with Coulson, Paton, Alston and Watson. These four additions have brought very little to the party either thro poor performances or in Watsons case yet more injuries. Not sure any money left to add to squad now and I'm not convinced the budget was spent wisely. 

If you include Brad I think there  are more out than in so budget should not be a problem.

Here today, here tomorrow.

Better cash in our bank than paying a McFadden like player who contributes to being a bench warmer.

All our expert opinions have identified zero strikers on this thread... so glad we have not signed some old geezer who we know wouldn't be good enough for the level we aspire. 

Still time yet to get someone in.  Could be playing a game verse the Agents, nope we aren't signing anyone now... Agent reduces contract demands..?

Hopefully your last paragraph is right Dave, I'm still optimistic..

Without thinking about it too much;  El Bakhtaoui, Gavin Reilly and Brian Graham are 3 players I would have happily seen Saints sign. They might not start every game but would certainly provide another option and be a threat from the bench or from start.

There must be young strikers down south available for loan as well?  Hibs just signed attacking midfielder Shinnie on loan from Birmingham, so there are deals that can be done.

We lost Cummins for a couple of months last season due to injury, Maclean the previous two seasons lost a good few months.  This season that would put us down to the bare bones up front.

Guest ScottMann

Never understood why we didn't try harder to keep Graham. 

I don't think he gave us the chance. He'd signed a pre-contract with County as soon as he could before we'd started to talk to him I believe.

I'd rather have him than nobody but let's not forget he's been with 3 top flight clubs and never became a regular starter with any of them. He's now joined a 2nd Division team. I think he's one of those good players at that level but just not good enough for the Prem.

Edited by ScottMann

Guest ScottMann

He scores goals! Scored on his debut yesterday. I've never understood the thing about strikers need to bring more than goals. Gary Linekar eg never made a tackle in twenty years, and would just have looked confused (even more than usual) if anyone asked him to track back. 

He scores goals in lower divisions and scored yesterday in a lower division! He's featured in 81 top flight games in the last four seasons and scored 21 goals, 16 from open play and 5 pens. Totally agree with your principle about strikers though. If I had someone that 'only put the ball in the net' then I'd build team around him. He'd need to producing more than 1 in 5 at the top level for that though.

Also I'm not convinced the blame for a lack of striker lies at the boards door. Its TW whos decided to spend his budget on the likes of Watson and Coulson while neglecting to bring in a striker, we've now got three right backs on the books, one of them signed despite a history of injury problems. Coulson doesn't fit our system at all from what I've seen, he can't play either side of a midfield four and looks uncomfortable through the middle. 

Its not the first time hes spent the budget and then realised hes still short in a position.

Edited by RandomGuy

He scores goals in lower divisions and scored yesterday in a lower division! He's featured in 81 top flight games in the last four seasons and scored 21 goals, 16 from open play and 5 pens. Totally agree with your principle about strikers though. If I had someone that 'only put the ball in the net' then I'd build team around him. He'd need to producing more than 1 in 5 at the top level for that though.

This is my problem with Strachan as well. Rhodes, Griffiths and Cormack score goals for fun, but are left out in favour of a guy who has scored most of his goals against Gibralter, a team Adam Morgan could put to the sword. This is why Sir Roderick of Grant and the Good Doctor were such heroes - ticked absolutely no boxes on the how to be a good footballer quiz, except the one that actually wins games.

Edited by Abernethy Saint