Player contracts and transfers

David123

Hmm, I've no idea whether Johnstone is any good or not, but generally players from EFL2 level have been utter mince up here.

I don't see the logic here. Wages wise, I'd imagine it would be much the same as Kane and looking at Johnstones record with Morton, it's no better than Kane at that level. Suspect it will be another (shudder) Morgan signing. Would love to be proven wrong.

If this is the '3rd Jewel' then I'm severely underwhelmed.

Id rather wait a few weeks to nearer the end of the window to see who becomes available, as opposed to sign someone who won't play v Celtic and we don't have a game until after the window shuts.

Objective is 10th place,

Increased budget this window,

Kano and Kerr out on Loan,

Celtic UCL financial bonus,

Any new first team signings promised to be one of quality,

200k this season due to come from International call ups....

Signed Denny Johnstone on loan.

1ulxm8.jpg

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

Loving reading all the knee jerk reactions.  Every football league and club are different.  Every formation is different.  

Steven MacLean is an important linking player for us, and yet when MOH is playing he reverts to being a number 9 because he's getting the right service and knows how to make the right runs.  

Stevie May scored 27 goals (was it 27?) in one season and won a contract Sheffield United, who were horseshit and he had NO service and was seen as a failure.  

So many examples of players who deliver for some teams and not for others.

I'd really hope that someone in Tommy's position knows his football well enough to be able to see past stats on Wikipedia when identifying potential targets.  

I'll judge this new guy on how he performs in a Saints shirt if that's OK with all you panic merchants.

Loving reading all the knee jerk reactions.  Every football league and club are different.  Every formation is different.  

Steven MacLean is an important linking player for us, and yet when MOH is playing he reverts to being a number 9 because he's getting the right service and knows how to make the right runs.  

Stevie May scored 27 goals (was it 27?) in one season and won a contract Sheffield United, who were horseshit and he had NO service and was seen as a failure.  

So many examples of players who deliver for some teams and not for others.

I'd really hope that someone in Tommy's position knows his football well enough to be able to see past stats on Wikipedia when identifying potential targets.  

I'll judge this new guy on how he performs in a Saints shirt if that's OK with all you panic merchants.

Agree!!  When you look at how Swanson performed at Hearts or O'Halloran at Rangers - it's the management and associated others that make the big difference.  We are lucky to have staff (and scouts) that can spot these weaknesses in other teams, see potential and bring the players in and help develop them to hopefully reach their full potential.  To hell with statistics - lets trust the people that make it happen.  We truly are fortunate to have Tommy and the current board!!

Dearest ITK tease-merchants,

Can you let us know if talks with the name(s) that you knew of are now off the table for whatever reason? If so, it must be safe to spill the beans?

Are we still speaking to a mystery man? Or has it all gone tits up and Denny has become a classic TW panic signing?

Dearest ITK tease-merchants,

Can you let us know if talks with the name(s) that you knew of are now off the table for whatever reason? If so, it must be safe to spill the beans?

Are we still speaking to a mystery man? Or has it all gone tits up and Denny has become a classic TW panic signing?

It will be a case of "That information on a strictly need to know basis, and right now you don't need to know".  It's a power thing... 

Tumbleweed Tumbleweeds are used in

“We are just waiting on international clearing and stuff, which I can’t see a problem with, and once that goes through he will go straight into the squad.”He has come in on a season loan so I am pleased to get him, he ticks a lot of boxes for us.”He has got quality and in the market we are in, it is a great option.”He will improve the team. He is only 22, he has a presence and when you look at his record in the Championship with Morton, he scored 14 or 15 goals in 30 games or so, and we want to try to get him back to that.”

Tommy's comments about Denny Johnstone which are circulating around a few different places now. He trained with us this morning as well. He'll be announced this afternoon I imagine.

“We are just waiting on international clearing and stuff, which I can’t see a problem with, and once that goes through he will go straight into the squad.”He has come in on a season loan so I am pleased to get him, he ticks a lot of boxes for us.”He has got quality and in the market we are in, it is a great option.”He will improve the team. He is only 22, he has a presence and when you look at his record in the Championship with Morton, he scored 14 or 15 goals in 30 games or so, and we want to try to get him back to that.”

Tommy's comments about Denny Johnstone which are circulating around a few different places now. He trained with us this morning as well. He'll be announced this afternoon I imagine.

Seems to be in quite a few different papers - 

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15493342.Former_Celtic_youth_star_set_for_St_Johnstone_switch/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-11043575

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/denny-johnstone-deal-with-st-johnstone-set-to-be-confirmed-today/

Stick me in the 'underwhelmed' category. 

Tommy's record of signing strikers is patchy but It's hard to imagine how a striker who scored 2 goals in 30 games in League 2 can be up to much. However, as ever, now he's signed he's a Saints player so lets get behind him. Hat-trick on Saturday will do nicely. 

Wish Johnstone all the best. A young striker with something to prove, in a team which has a habit of getting something out of players where other clubs failed. The fact that Dundee and United were after him also suggests he may have something to offer.

I think we were obviously after someone else we didn't get over the summer.  Possibly Sammon or Storey, who knows? That happens in football.  Would be a reasonable assumption that Kane was loaned out with this in mind.

Probably not the pedigree of striker many were hoping for based on the manager's comments about jewels, and only going after players who will enhance the starting 11, along with a  lot of ITK chat about a marquee signing raising the bar for Saints etc...  all probably raised expectation above normal levels.

Overall though, our squad looks very good. Just get Millar back involved in the match day squad and we could be pushing for top three come Christmas!

ITWT, but still can't understand giving Kane a new contract, then loaning him out, and then replacing him with this guy. But obvs we will all get behind him. Tommy's not required to explain his every decision to us, and frankly after the cup win he could wa nk in Jesus' mouth and I would still worship him. (Tommy, that is). I'm sure it will all work out fine.

ITWT, but still can't understand giving Kane a new contract, then loaning him out, and then replacing him with this guy. But obvs we will all get behind him. Tommy's not required to explain his every decision to us, and frankly after the cup win he could wa nk in Jesus' mouth and I would still worship him. (Tommy, that is). I'm sure it will all work out fine.

I think Kane probably has more of an opportunity to improve, work out the kinks in his game, and build back a bit of confidence by starting every week down a level. Certainly more than he would do struggling to play a bit-part role at Saints. Here's hoping he comes back a better player.

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts