Player contracts and transfers

David123

42 minutes ago, Center Half said:

Shite crowds Cagey that is what is wrong,  Falkirk are hitting 4K some weeks and were down in the relegation battle for a while last year for example! we are arguably  on the best run in our history and we are scrambling to get 2K home fans. 

The crowds are poor because there is nothing on the park to get excited about.

We can't be other than proud of 10 years of achievement but the past 2 seasons have been dire & lacked entertainment.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

There is something wrong at the club

Even from afar one can see this, and it has been so, for at least one season. Who is to blame for this? Coaches, Management or Heirarchy? Tommy seems to blame everyone else, and have you noticed his demeanor, and lack of eye contact, when doing interviews? Someone is past their use by date.

Edited by Saintdunc

13 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

That is just bullshit as far as I'm concerned, if so Tommy has majorly ****ed up, priority one was a center midfielder, there is no argument to be had on that. 

Pointless getting wingers and strikers if we can't get the ball effectively to them.

I would get rid of Alston, Craig, wotherspoon and to be honest scougal, who I thought was bought for that position. I honestly fail to see where the latter fits into any effective formation we play.

Scougal is that piece of quality that we need to build our team around.  Hes a number 10 and rarely has he played there. 

We have a good starting 10players so surely 1 of Craig/Spoony/Alston/McCann can do a job.

On 06/08/2018 at 9:56 PM, Templar Saint said:

That applies only to EPL.  The football league teams can sign "on loan" players until 31 August.

Cannot see us competing against EPL teams for players and we could struggle against other english teams for loan players if they are interested in any target we have in mind. 

Seems that’s wrong. I live in the Borders and the local news has Carlisle trying to sign a defender before tomorrow’s transfer deadline. 

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

The crowds are poor because there is nothing on the park to get excited about.

We can't be other than proud of 10 years of achievement but the past 2 seasons have been dire & lacked entertainment.

I agree Cagey but we never saw a real increase in numbers over the preceding 4/5 years even the cup win did not make a huge difference in upsurge, I do not do statistics so no doubt I will be proved wrong in this but it never felt to me we got any increase.

We are now seeing just how good our core of players through the team had/has been and we were able to keep such a core on the budget we had at the time. Mannus , Fraz, Ando, Millar, Macca,  just about half a team that we have not or are now needing to replace but  I do not think we will get them on the budget we are working with, we will be dealing in the Floods, Kerrs of this world at this rate.  

3 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Seems that’s wrong. I live in the Borders and the local news has Carlisle trying to sign a defender before tomorrow’s transfer deadline. 

That was my understanding it was the whole of England,  It may work out for us to wait and see who is available, There will be around 20/27 Matty Willocks (age wise) down there that could be looking for game time finding the one good enough to improve our mid field is an other question though and a short term fix as well.      

32 minutes ago, Center Half said:

I agree Cagey but we never saw a real increase in numbers over the preceding 4/5 years even the cup win did not make a huge difference in upsurge, I do not do statistics so no doubt I will be proved wrong in this but it never felt to me we got any increase.

We are now seeing just how good our core of players through the team had/has been and we were able to keep such a core on the budget we had at the time. Mannus , Fraz, Ando, Millar, Macca,  just about half a team that we have not or are now needing to replace but  I do not think we will get them on the budget we are working with, we will be dealing in the Floods, Kerrs of this world at this rate.  

The Club taking 6-8 weeks after the cup win to get season ticket packs out is part of the issue. 

Should have been handing out ST info all over Perth on the day of the open top bus.  They had a golden chance there to capitalise on the good feeling and they missed it due to their apathetic attitude. 

38 minutes ago, Center Half said:

Maybe also a great captain as well ,badly missed who was also brave on the ball.

1 hour ago, Center Half said:

That was my understanding it was the whole of England,  It may work out for us to wait and see who is available, There will be around 20/27 Matty Willocks (age wise) down there that could be looking for game time finding the one good enough to improve our mid field is an other question though and a short term fix as well.      

From the bbc website

Normally the English summer transfer window closes at the end of August, but this year the official deadline has been set at 17:00 BST on Thursday, 9 August.

That means all Premier League and English Football League clubs must complete transfer deals to buy players before the top-flight season starts on Friday, 10 August.

The EFL season began on 4 August and clubs outside the top flight will still be able to sign unregistered players and loanees until 31 August.

EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey said: "This new approach will give clubs and managers the stability they crave earlier in the season while also providing the flexibility to add to their squads after the traditional deadline until the end of month if required."

Guest ScottMann
13 hours ago, Center Half said:

I'm no fan of the chairman's frugality but I think you're being a bit harsh. Kennedy, Watt and Wright will certainly not be cheap and you can add Scougall in there too so the biscuit tin has been opened further than most of us presumably expected recently. I'd much rather we stuck to a policy of fewer, better quality players than signing 6 or 7 unheard of cheapies in the hope at least one of them is the unpolished diamond that would could bring us in a decent fee.

Yes it's annoying we haven't signed such a key player yet but If we get the midfielder we need then I think most would say it's been a good window. If finances mean we can't get the standard of guy Tommy wants then we can start questioning the budget or perhaps his use of it. 

1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

I'm no fan of the chairman's frugality but I think you're being a bit harsh. Kennedy, Watt and Wright will certainly not be cheap and you can add Scougall in there too so the biscuit tin has been opened further than most of us presumably expected recently. I'd much rather we stuck to a policy of fewer, better quality players than signing 6 or 7 unheard of cheapies in the hope at least one of them is the unpolished diamond that would could bring us in a decent fee.

Yes it's annoying we haven't signed such a key player yet but If we get the midfielder we need then I think most would say it's been a good window. If finances mean we can't get the standard of guy Tommy wants then we can start questioning the budget or perhaps his use of it. 

Agree with all of this. If we get a good quality centre midfielder then on paper it will have been one of the best summer's business in a very long time.  

Its just frustrating we can't have it in place for the season starting to get off to a flyer. And if in the end we genuinely can't afford a decent CM then I'll be massively disappointed, and it will undermine a lot of the positives for me.

9 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Not having a go at all, just stating that we had 5 quality players that we could attract in the first place, and more importantly was able to keep on the budget we had, we have as you say now 4 players who are probably on the same level of salary so we are still one short in that argument yet we have no budget yet to get the last one in. It may well be not this summers transfer round that the problem but not getting players in previous years summer transfer rounds. The budget is what it is TW I am sure said he was aware and happy? with it earlier in the year so he must have known his limit.        

Simple truth is that we need to sign a central midfielder, anyone can see that, but why do we have so many misfiekders here who cannot effectively play there. Wotherspoon, Craig and Alston aren't the answer and aren't 1st or even 2nd choice wide men, so do we need all of them? Spoony and Alston don't show enough for me to merrit being here, new contract or not.

If we cannot afford someone, then why not? Our crowds are pish and the club should take the blame for being totally inept at marketing, but we knew that, we knew in May we needed a midfielder, so to be at this stage talking of putting one of our promising defenders in there is ridiculous. 

Edited by TheYellowBox

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Marketing & communications. Do we not have a couple of guys doing that.

Not even interviews,never mind highlights this week. Maybe too embarrassed.

Gary is off on holiday. 

But there was post match interview with Tommy.

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/tommy-disappointed-opening-day-defeat-killie

Edited by mainstand

3 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Simple truth is that we need to sign a central midfielder, anyone can see that, but why do we have so many misfiekders here who cannot effectively play there. Wotherspoon, Craig and Alston aren't the answer and aren't 1st or even 2nd choice wide men, so do we need all of them? Spoony and Alston don't show enough for me to merrit being here, new contract or not.

If we cannot afford someone, then why not? Our crowds are pish and the club should take the blame for being totally inept at marketing, but we knew that, we knew in May we needed a midfielder, so to be at this stage talking of putting one of our promising defenders in there is ridiculous. 

Glaringly obvious aint it.Think we should have held onto Millar for another season if we aren't going to bring in a decent replacement.Key position that negates a lot of the good signings this year

2 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

Glaringly obvious aint it.Think we should have held onto Millar for another season if we aren't going to bring in a decent replacement.Key position that negates a lot of the good signings this year

It is. Millar might not have been the long term answer, but could we have combined him playing with a coaching role, ie the one we got Maybury for. Personally, I agreed with letting him go, but assumed we'd be signing a replacement. If the young guys aren't good enough yet then we should be filling the gap. I'm confident we will, but why leave it until now or the next few weeks time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45132172

Wright has brought in midfielders Matty Kennedy and Drey Wright, striker Tony Watt and goalkeeper Conor Mitchell on loan this summer, and is not in any rush for additional recruits.

"One or two young players will maybe have to go out, or if we go through in the League Cup next week that could move things along a bit quicker, but there is no panic," he added.

"I'd like to emphasise that we have had a really good window thus far. It is getting the right one because there is no point bringing somebody in that is not going to be any better than what we have got."

10 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Wright has brought in midfielders Matty Kennedy and Drey Wright, striker Tony Watt and goalkeeper Conor Mitchell on loan this summer, and is not in any rush for additional recruits.

"One or two young players will maybe have to go out, or if we go through in the League Cup next week that could move things along a bit quicker, but there is no panic," he added.

"I'd like to emphasise that we have had a really good window thus far. It is getting the right one because there is no point bringing somebody in that is not going to be any better than what we have got."

In words of Dumb and Dumber “So you’re telling me there’s a chance........”

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I suppose you could call Wright & Kennedy  midfielders but I don't think they could play central or holding midfielder.