Player contracts and transfers

David123

16 hours ago, dave mc said:

Only issue is he seems to think Jason is better than Liam,what planet is he on? B)

It’s maybe not all down to ability though. Liam was on his last legs at Saints allegedly last year. Burning the candle at both ends. 

If Jason has been the more professional of the two and shown equal ability, then he deserves his run. 

5 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

It’s maybe not all down to ability though. Liam was on his last legs at Saints allegedly last year. Burning the candle at both ends. 

If Jason has been the more professional of the two and shown equal ability, then he deserves his run. 

Allegedly being the main word in that post.

9 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Without a doubt,Perth is too wee to keep anything secret,hopefully Liam grasps his chance,as he’s our most physical cb,by a distance 

17 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Utter nonsense.  I wouldn't comment here but it's not fair for shite like that to be spread about.  

Both are excellent players and great prospects. The club obviously reckon they can get a transfer fee for Kerr so will stick with him for the foreseeable future to keep him in the shop window. Not to mention the fact that for the most part he's had a great season so far. But the 'more professional of the two' bit is well wide of the mark.

Think we might see both again in a back three at Livi, worked well at Fir Park.

On 10/28/2018 at 6:26 AM, PauloPerth said:

Utter nonsense.  I wouldn't comment here but it's not fair for shite like that to be spread about.  

Both are excellent players and great prospects. The club obviously reckon they can get a transfer fee for Kerr so will stick with him for the foreseeable future to keep him in the shop window. Not to mention the fact that for the most part he's had a great season so far. But the 'more professional of the two' bit is well wide of the mark.

Think we might see both again in a back three at Livi, worked well at Fir Park.

Just going with what I was told at the start of the season. I’m not saying he hasn’t knuckled down now, but the talk was that he was out partying in Perth every single weekend and had been called out on it. 

Normal behaviour for someone his age, I did it. Then again, I’m not a professional athlete!

I was so impressed with him in the LC group games, that I actually questioned why he hadn’t been seen much before. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

@PauloPerth fair assessment. I'm a bit over unsubstantiated rumours. "Someone in the know/a board member told me xyz". Leave the lad alone. Saints are pretty firm if any ongoing "behaviour" occurs. Lads that live in Edinburgh or Glasgow may be outwith Broon & Tommy's massive McD GPS satellite, but you can't hide anything really. You can tell in training & commitment where they're at. Don't care much for rumours that he's in the gym every day. Great if he is, keeps players occupied. On that note... what do Saints,  or other teams do to keep players occupied, given they often have a lot of free time in the afternoon? Gambling is pretty rife still. Moore had his burger van, Luggy enforced two training shifts for a while as crackdown on attitude. Do they still swan off at 2.30-3pm? In Australia, they have a very rigorous system in AFL of checking not only a players ability, or potential,  but also their family background/ mental health and they are interviewed. Same in other draft pick set-ups in US etc. It isn't fool proof, but they check everything. 

Edited by Melbourne Saint

57 minutes ago, saintcraigieboy said:

Don’t know how long watt’s contract is for but think we should be actively trying to extend that. 

Didnt reslise Tommy’s contract was up this season. Again would hope tali’s have been started. 

Think Watts contract is a year with options but don't know what they are.

I would rather see Drey Wrights contract being extended.

1 hour ago, saintcraigieboy said:

Don’t know how long watt’s contract is for but think we should be actively trying to extend that. 

Didnt reslise Tommy’s contract was up this season. Again would hope tali’s have been started. 

15 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Think Watts contract is a year with options but don't know what they are.

I would rather see Drey Wrights contract being extended.

There are a number of players who could leave for free this summer unless we move soon to extend their current contracts:

Tony Watt

Joe Shaughnessy

David Wotherspoon

Brian Easton

Liam Craig

Richard Foster

Blair Alston

Scott Tanser

Stefan Scougall

Aaron Comrie

Liam Gordon

Kyle McClean

Mark Hurst

Ali McCann

1 minute ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

There are a number of players who could leave for free this summer unless we move soon to extend their current contracts:

Tony Watt

Joe Shaughnessy

David Wotherspoon

Brian Easton

Liam Craig

Richard Foster

Blair Alston

Scott Tanser

Stefan Scougall

Aaron Comrie

Liam Gordon

Kyle McClean

Mark Hurst

Ali McCann

Wow that's a worry. Only 2 or 3 I wouldn't be surprised or worried if they were not signed.

5 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Tony Watt

Joe Shaughnessy

David Wotherspoon

Brian Easton

Liam Craig

Richard Foster

Blair Alston

Scott Tanser

Stefan Scougall

Aaron Comrie

Liam Gordon

Kyle McClean

Mark Hurst

Ali McCann

There's one important staff member missing from that list....Big Tommy. Get his long term future sorted and I imagine several players could be convinced to sign an extension on his staying alone.

I think getting Tommy signed up is the priority and many players will follow knowing he will still be there. I hope this includes Watt. Although he has not been scoring goals recently I think his performances have been great the last couple of games. He is a real presence up front and uses his physicality really well. The goals will come. He is getting into the right positions. After he gets one the confidence and swagger will be back

Yeah I think Tommy has to be the priority right now.

That list is slightly smaller than usual but still a number of players to be concerned about. Shaughnessy and Watt in particular will attract interest from elsewhere so I hope that, if we haven't started talking to them, then talks are just around the corner.

I saw an article recently where it talked about there being an option to extend Tony Watt's contract for another year. I hope that's right.

Edit: found the article https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/ex-hearts-striker-tony-watt-on-why-saints-suit-best-for-scotland-1-4814144

32 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yeah I think Tommy has to be the priority right now.

That list is slightly smaller than usual but still a number of players to be concerned about. Shaughnessy and Watt in particular will attract interest from elsewhere so I hope that, if we haven't started talking to them, then talks are just around the corner.

I saw an article recently where it talked about there being an option to extend Tony Watt's contract for another year. I hope that's right.

Edit: found the article https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/ex-hearts-striker-tony-watt-on-why-saints-suit-best-for-scotland-1-4814144

That's quite a positive article. Now, or in the break after the Accies game if we manage to get a good result, would be good times to try to tie up Joe, Tony, Foster and Liam Gordon.  Surely be easier when players are on a high and enjoying the winning feeling you'd imagine.

Would rather get it sorted before January, when clubs have downtime to plan for the next season and can tie players up on PCA's.  

Never quite sure what an option to extend by a further year means.. does it just mean on the same terms, as surely there's always the option to extend by a year (or longer) for everyone.

Guest ScottMann

It just seems a normal situation for us these days. I expect players will want to wait and see if there are any other offers for them, which is understandable, but I'm also sure there will be regular little chats and discussions going on between club, agent and player. I doubt it'll be a case of the club having a diary note for 1 January 'remember some contracts are up soon'. 

Unless things dramatically change (injuries etc) by the end of the year it looks almost inevitable that Scougall will go either on loan or a Permanent deal.Needham will probably return to Ipswich..We had a very strong bench on Saturday with Davidson,Alston Anderson and (possibly) Easton to come back in. I don't think that there will anybody coming in during January so this would leave a bit in the budget to tie up some of the OOC players.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

I would consider bringing in a left back as cover if it doesn't look like Easton will be ready. It's the only position where we don't really have a natural replacement if Tanser gets injured. I know Foster can play there, but it's his wrong side.  Someone along the lines of young Smith we got in from Preston a year or two back.

Wonder if a few younger lads will go out on loan.. Kyle McLean, Ali McCann, Aaron Comrie etc. With the squad we have it looks hard for them to even get on the bench very often, and thats with a few first team players out injured.

Would have said same as you about Nydham, but he got his first start and had an impact on the game on Saturday so who knows. For me, unless he turns out to be absolutely outstanding over the next few weeks, if he's mostly going to be a sub, I'd rather one of our own young lads got the experience of doing that role instead.

23 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I would consider bringing in a left back as cover if it doesn't look like Easton will be ready. It's the only position where we don't really have a natural replacement if Tanser gets injured. I know Foster can play there, but it's his wrong side.  Someone along the lines of young Smith we got in from Preston a year or two back.

Wonder if a few younger lads will go out on loan.. Kyle McLean, Ali McCann, Aaron Comrie etc. With the squad we have it looks hard for them to even get on the bench very often, and thats with a few first team players out injured.

Would have said same as you about Nydham, but he got his first start and had an impact on the game on Saturday so who knows. For me, unless he turns out to be absolutely outstanding over the next few weeks, if he's mostly going to be a sub, I'd rather one of our own young lads got the experience of doing that role instead.

Loans are not turning out to well at the moment apart from young Sinclair who is in a team that do not have to defend too much as far as I can see.

May,Kane & Kerr are the only ones that have benefited from loan spells as far as I can see.

I think Mitchell's loan may be only til January so assume Sinclair will come back.

I notice Hurst is in the squad instead of Mitchell at moment so assume Tommy not impressed.