David123

Player contracts and transfers

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Is anybody else interested in these players? Hooper will have been clearly on a wage higher than what we've ever paid anyone, but what are people willing to pay him now? If you don't ask, you don't get...

Theres no chance of Hooper. None. You can ask the question but I imagine he'd just laugh.

3 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

My choice from the above Will Keane

Why?

Hes an injury prone striker who's never scored more than 3 in a season, and has 8 career goals to his name after making his debut 8 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RandomGuy said:

Theres no chance of Hooper. None. You can ask the question but I imagine he'd just laugh.

Why?

Hes an injury prone striker who's never scored more than 3 in a season, and has 8 career goals to his name after making his debut 8 years ago.

What was you choice from those given?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Theres no chance of Hooper. None. You can ask the question but I imagine he'd just laugh.

Why?

Hes an injury prone striker who's never scored more than 3 in a season, and has 8 career goals to his name after making his debut 8 years ago.

Injury prone I could only find 1 in 2012 which kept him out for the season. As for goals, he went on loan to Ipswich in January and scored 3 in 11 games. If we use your figures another way that translates to at least 10 in a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

What was you choice from those given?

None are realistic/worth what theyd want.

1 minute ago, Johnny B said:

Injury prone I could only find 1 in 2012 which kept him out for the season. As for goals, he went on loan to Ipswich in January and scored 3 in 11 games. If we use your figures another way that translates to at least 10 in a season.

Hes ruptured the same cruciate twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Linky said:

Unless Hooper wants to return to Scotland, I can't see why he'd come here. Any club (bar Bury & Bolton) in the top 4 leagues in England would pay higher wages than us. I would suggest he's still a big name in England (unlike Lafferty, for example) so there would be interest from Championship and League 1 clubs.

The age-old argument I think still holds, particularly for players that are already fairly comfortable. 

Why come to us from English 3rd tier? You will be on TV every week so the exposure is much greater, standard of living is higher in Scotland than most places in that division, you are guaranteed to play against far bigger crowds at least 10 games a season and some frankly massive crowds at least twice and we've got facilities that are at least as good if not better than most of those clubs. 

However if I'm a greedy agent I might think that cash in the bank is what matters more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

The age-old argument I think still holds, particularly for players that are already fairly comfortable. 

Why come to us from English 3rd tier? You will be on TV every week so the exposure is much greater, standard of living is higher in Scotland than most places in that division, you are guaranteed to play against far bigger crowds at least 10 games a season and some frankly massive crowds at least twice and we've got facilities that are at least as good if not better than most of those clubs. 

However if I'm a greedy agent I might think that cash in the bank is what matters more. 

Oh and a realistic chance at European football, which you are guaranteed not to get otherwise. 

For balance, you could argue that a cup run in England could provide excellent and career-defining exposure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players mentioned in the last few posts are currently  "without a club". So where does that leave them in terms of negotiation when it comes to being approached by a potential new club, Saints for example? Surely getting on board somewhere, earning a wage, possibility of resurrecting your career would be the important thing. The football season has started, so if they haven't got a club by now I'd say they'll be getting more and more concerned about their immediate future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Linky said:

There are a few that might be in our price range still without a club:

Andy Keogh, Will Keane, Giles Barnes, Leon Best

@RandomGuy So you rather go with Kane, Hendry and McMillan if these were the only players to chose from

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Johnny B said:

@RandomGuy So you rather go with Kane, Hendry and McMillan if these were the only players to chose from

 

Of course not. All I'm saying is they wont join, or will want far too much money for their pedigree, so its absolutely pointless talking about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just trying to stimulate conversation and see what others think of those that Linky said were available. I suppose the only other option is a loan. Might be the direction we are taking as rumours are that we tried to get Hemmings on loan and Notts County did not want a transfer fee.

Silly question is their a loan list published.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Of course not. All I'm saying is they wont join, or will want far too much money for their pedigree, so its absolutely pointless talking about them.

You might be right, but surely talking about them is exactly what we should be doing on a thread which is to talk about transfers? Also, an injury prone player is exactly the sort we've looked at in the past!

I think Christo is right. It's about what the focus might be for any player - money, family, playing against the OF, potential for Europe, etc. All these factors will come to play. A player might want to move north of the border, but his partner won't, etc. etc. We don't know how much these players are asking for, but the ones suggested are currently without a club, coming from divisions that are realistic for us to be looking at, are unlikely to be getting vastly better offers for one reason or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Anyone thinking we have potential for Europe in the next 5 years is absolutely mad.

First, that depends on the ownership. If Brown sells to an ambitious investor it is much more likely. 

Secondly, I guarantee that we have a better shot at Europe than any club in the English 2nd division, which was the comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I being wooshed? Surely everyone who was brought in after Mackay/Muzz and contributed to the cup win and our best run of finishes in the top flight in our history should be termed as a success? We've had some dumplings but a lot more good than bad...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...