David123

Player contracts and transfers

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I think we'll be after a left back who can play CB, so he fits the bill...

Wish Ando all the best, shame how his time here has ended but it always has to end somehow. 

It is a shame but it was all Tommy's doing. Not sure many would have given him that two year extension. He hardly played since he signed it.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:10 PM, TheYellowBox said:

He will sign next week, with McMillan's contract being ended by mutual consent.

The talk of a loan deal is a non starter, but serves a purpose that it indicates that Saints are still interested in May. Don't think for a second that Tommy doesn't use the media when he needs to. 

Would expect Anderson to go too, depending on Gordon showing he has fully recovered from injury.

Tommy will also need to do a repair job on Kane's confidence. Feel for Kane as when he came back from QOS, he looked full of confidence and hungry, but that seems to of evaporated over time. He is suffering from not having a proven goalscorer alongside him. 

As predicted, Tommy feels that Kane needs a confidence boost and he is right. May is the main man up front, but we will need Kane over the season and great man management from Tommy to highlight the work he does. However, I'd rather we had moved Kane on and brought in another experienced front man. I know we are looking for back up at left back, but it wouldn't surprise me if we brought in a more senior striker in January.

I suspect the work over the next few months will no focus on contract renewals. Who should we keep, move on and who still has the Jury out?

4 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

I suspect the work over the next few months will no focus on contract renewals. Who should we keep, move on and who still has the Jury out?

Just for the sake of the conversation, those going out of contract are...

Max Johnstone, Steven Anderson, Drey Wright, Ross Callachan, Liam Craig, Ali McCann, Matty Kennedy, Danny Swanson, David McMillan, Chris Kane and Callum Hendry.

In my opinion...

Wright, McCann, Kennedy all stand out as cast iron certainties, although I'm sure its been admitted we've tried to speak to Wright and Kennedy but their agents are refusing to sign anything.

Callachan, Kane and Hendry all have to prove themselves worthy this year, but I'd be tempted to give them all a further year as they're handy squad players.

McMillan is gone.

Craig and Swanson I'm not sure, probably depends how they play this year. Right now I'd be keeping Craig and verging on letting Swanson go.

Anderson would be let go, hes not good enough and we've made mistakes lately of holding on to players too long (Wright and Mackay both got new deals that they never saw the end of).

Johnstone I've no idea about.

17 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Just for the sake of the conversation, those going out of contract are...

Max Johnstone, Steven Anderson, Drey Wright, Ross Callachan, Liam Craig, Ali McCann, Matty Kennedy, Danny Swanson, David McMillan, Chris Kane and Callum Hendry.

In my opinion...

Wright, McCann, Kennedy all stand out as cast iron certainties, although I'm sure its been admitted we've tried to speak to Wright and Kennedy but their agents are refusing to sign anything.

Callachan, Kane and Hendry all have to prove themselves worthy this year, but I'd be tempted to give them all a further year as they're handy squad players.

McMillan is gone.

Craig and Swanson I'm not sure, probably depends how they play this year. Right now I'd be keeping Craig and verging on letting Swanson go.

Anderson would be let go, hes not good enough and we've made mistakes lately of holding on to players too long (Wright and Mackay both got new deals that they never saw the end of).

Johnstone I've no idea about.

In my opinion:
Anderson, Callaghan and McMillan will leave. McCann will be offered a contract to stay. As for the others it all ifs and buts.

If Kennedy and Wright have good seasons they will be off. Their agents’ actions reflect this. Therefore we need a contingency, is it to keep Swanson or do we pick up someone on a pre-contract in January? The risk there is what if Wright or Kennedy stays. Hence I believe the pre-contract is a non-starter, unless both Kennedy and Wright sign pre-contracts with another team.

Kane and Hendry, I agree they have to prove themselves worthy this year. I believe only one will survive and if possible, we should look for a striker on a pre-contract. 

Craig needs a good season to get a contract.

Swanson as stated above depends on his performance and what happens with Kennedy and Wright. 

Max Johnstone, I too have idea but I do not think it is significant in the big picture.

Holt and Ralston will return to their parent clubs

Therefore next season, we could be looking to replace 7 players
In defence Ralston.
In Midfield, Kennedy, Wright, Craig and Holt (arguably could be one of our starting midfield selections)
Forwards McMilland and 1 form Kane and Hendry.

But as you said for the sake of conversation,  because if worst scenario happens and we get relegated all those that have a relegation release clause; Clark, Kerr and O’Halloran will also have to replaced.

5 hours ago, Cagey said:

If Holt turns out like we hope ,he will be away to a bigger club.

I think this is right. Tommy talked of ‘helping Holt out’ and him ‘helping us out’ which suggests to me that he has no one intention of signing permanently. I think our hope would be that he has a 7/10 season - not good enough for a bigger club to be interested, but good enough for us to sign him full-time.

Former Celtic and Hibs defender Efe Ambrose says he is open to a return to Scottish football, with the 30-year-old Nigerian yet to find a club since his release from Derby at the end of last season. (Daily Record)

Could he bring the experience needed to settle our back 4?