David123

Player contracts and transfers

The biannual RG transfer wishlist...

Out: Vihmanns loan ended, nobody will notice hes gone. Booths contract expires in the Winter anyway, let him go. Callachan punted, hopefully accept a termination since hes in his final 6 months, should pick up a club who will play him, so everyone wins. 

Ideally Swansons decent wage is also taken off, either by getting him out the club, or negotiating a wage cut, hes not contributing enough to be worth it. Not convinced this is realistic.

In: Get Anderson back from the Raith loan, he's not top flight standard anymore, but he'd be a huge benefit off the pitch especially in training. Let him work with Duffy. 

At this stage, we'd ideally have 3 (maybe 3.5) wages to play with, and we'd only be a LB (who hasn't played a minute) and a CM (sixth choice) down.

That should give a fairly decent chunk to sign a CB. Ideally an experienced CB who can cover the left. Perfect if they've played at this level before.

Players that might fit?: (TOTAL SPECULATION WARNING!) -- Liam Ridgewell (CB, has played LB before, vastly experienced. At Southend and contract expires in the Summer, has only played one match for them, a six month deal to get himself playing regularly might suit all parties). -- Alan Sheehan (33yo CB, played LB in his early career. At Luton, contract expires in Summer and has barely played. Over 250 in Tier 2/3 of English football). -- Sol Bamba (CB, hugely experienced, and had over 70 games in the Scottish top flight. Isn't playing for Cardiff, six months left on his deal and approaching the end of his career).

No idea how realistic those are, financially. Ridgewell would be my first choice, huge experience at higher levels, and can play on the left side. Then Bamba who has the benefit on playing at this level before. Sheehan is a total no nonsense ****er, his pedigree is the weakest, but hes the most affordable.

Any of those for 6 months, ideally Ridgewell, and while we're at it, offer Rickie Lamie a contract offer for next season. 

Problem solved.

Clark

Ralston - Kerr - Ridgewell - Tanser

Wright - Davidson - McCann - Wotherspoon

Kennedy

May

Reserves: Parish, Duffy, Anderson, Gordon, MOH, Holt, Craig, Swanson, Hendry, Kane

Problem is, Tommy doesn’t sign players like RandomGuy has suggested. We sign players not getting a game at other SPL clubs or the occasional younger player from England (perhaps Drey Wright is an exception).

We can't give Wright another transfer window. His signings have been abysmal.

Even when he signs players who we are happy with & come with a decent reputation ,he can't get the best out of them. Scougall,Alston, Callahan. He even brought in Holt who has spent more time in stand than on the field.

There are loads more over the years that I can't think of so as it's a quiet week feel free to add names that I can't remember.

Tommy wanting an experienced centre half. He must have been reading this site. Should have done it in the summer. There a lot of guys on here think Ando is past it but I am sure he would have done better than what we have.

What Tommy wants and what Tommy gets are different things.

Everyone else knew we needed a new centre half this time last year, why has he only realised it now? There seems to be no planning ahead in the transfer policy. 

36 minutes ago, Linky said:

Everyone else knew we needed a new centre half this time last year, why has he only realised it now? There seems to be no planning ahead in the transfer policy. 

He tried to sign Gallacher from Livingston but he chose Motherwell so its not as if it wasn't a target area.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

He tried to sign Gallacher from Livingston but he chose Motherwell so its not as if it wasn't a target area.

Yes, but I’m not sure a shortlist of one quite cuts it. Our problems now started last season as we didn’t identify replacements, then continued with the May debacle in the Summer. I’m not sure how much is based on the Chairman trying to get things on the cheap/last minute and then missing out to other clubs though.

13 hours ago, Linky said:

Yes, but I’m not sure a shortlist of one quite cuts it. Our problems now started last season as we didn’t identify replacements, then continued with the May debacle in the Summer. I’m not sure how much is based on the Chairman trying to get things on the cheap/last minute and then missing out to other clubs though.

I don't think we will ever know the inner workings as the chairman says one thing and the manager says another. We have had gaps in the squad for long periods of time ever since Chris Miller was frozen out. 

Defence, central midfield and striker have all needed attention over the last few seasons. The fact there was never a suitable person filling it can't all be down to the budget that Brown sets.

22 hours ago, Linky said:

Seems a bit disingenuous to say he's only just realised it, given that he signed Vihmann, tried to sign Gallagher, tried to keep Shaughnessy and was probably looking at other options for the role too.

37 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Seems a bit disingenuous to say he's only just realised it, given that he signed Vihmann, tried to sign Gallagher, tried to keep Shaughnessy and was probably looking at other options for the role too.

One other factor no one has noted in all this goes back to the meet the board event - the role of agents. 
How do we know that they didn’t mess up our recruitment, or at least contribute to it?

It’s not as straightforward as we might think or portray - we’re commenting without important facts. Not defending the club, but trying to balance things a bit.