David123

Player contracts and transfers

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

On MacLean, no idea. Love the man, he was still bagging goals when he left us, and is still play semi-regularly for Hearts.

Cant help but feel it would be a backwards step though, signing a 37yo striker in the hope he can turn the clock back 6 years to link with another striker feels desperate.

Agree with this, think he is a couple of seasons past it, and his performance against a few weeks ago reflect that, why waste a wage when could be used more efficiently when the budget is so tight.

Just don’t understand why they even bother to bring in guys like Callum booth,  and the likes of Michael hart, Michael Doyle in the past  when clearly not any intention to play them, yeah need squad players, but these type of guys especially a guy with booths experience  should be better than Duffy at the moment, so if not used why waste a wage and use the cash to get someone that will be pushing to start..

57 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'm on board the Bring Back Macca train. Even get him back on loan for the second half of the season. Might not play every game but I think he'd make a difference.

Another suggestion: not sure what his contract situation is but I'd like to see Saints take a look at Ricardo Santos at Barnet. 6'6 central defender - big, strong, athletic player who commands his defence and distributes the ball well. Has also played in League One for Peterborough.

https://www.barnetfc.com/teams/first-team/defender/ricardo-santos/

No to Macca. Don't want another May daydream of years past. Macca did nothing at McDiarmid a few weeks ago against our weak defence apart from throw his arms about.

Someone like Santos is where we will have to look as I think there are big ball winning centre backs in lower leagues down south.

4 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Agree with this, think he is a couple of seasons past it, and his performance against a few weeks ago reflect that, why waste a wage when could be used more efficiently when the budget is so tight.

Just don’t understand why they even bother to bring in guys like Callum booth,  and the likes of Michael hart, Michael Doyle in the past  when clearly not any intention to play them, yeah need squad players, but these type of guys especially a guy with booths experience  should be better than Duffy at the moment, so if not used why waste a wage and use the cash to get someone that will be pushing to start..

Agree,we have been in top league for 10 seasons now & our youth policy should have brought through enough players to provide back up rather than bringing in guys on decent wages to sit in the stand.

2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Any of the other clubs that have been in our situation and managed to escape have done it by spending and changing the manager.

I'd be quite interested to know if that's actually true, or just a perception. I reckon a lot of clubs that have failed to escape relegation have probably also changed their manager but it hasn't worked. On both of the last two occasions when Saints have been relegated, we've changed our manager mid-season but still gone down (replacing McClelland with Sturrock, and Clark with Stark).

4 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Anderson was totally done at this level and we'd be no better off if he'd stayed.  All it would have done was tarnish his legacy.

I don’t agree. He’d have marshalled that back line in a way that’s desperately needed. Him and Foster both would have pulled the young players through games. We really needed one old head in there