David123

Player contracts and transfers

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Inverness just got £80k for Coll Donaldson, whos out of contract at the end of the season, had agreed to join ICT in the Summer, and whos played Championship football for the past few years.

Anyone who thinks £50k for Kennedy is reasonable is miles off.

Relegation would cost us over a million. ICTs turnover dropped around £700k they year the got relegated. We'd be around the same, with the knowledge the wages of those we have contracted for next season would surpass what ICT had.

Not a hope in hell County paid £80k for Donaldson!! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I think he is worth £50k, I'm saying that's what i think we'd get. With saved wages, it'd be nearer £100k vs keeping him.

Any other club would get 6 figures, but this is saints we are talking about.

Either way, we will never know as it will be 'undisclosed'. 

21 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Not a hope in hell County paid £80k for Donaldson!! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I think he is worth £50k, I'm saying that's what i think we'd get. With saved wages, it'd be nearer £100k vs keeping him.

Any other club would get 6 figures, but this is saints we are talking about.

Either way, we will never know as it will be 'undisclosed'. 

With £50k and the saved wages vs goals and assists provided in the second half of the season, I think we’d finish at a net loss 

I don't think an end of season pca is too bad. We keep Kennedy to help us, what would we have got as a panic replacement? It also gives us time to line up a decent summer transfer strategy.  Stuff this up again, and heads should roll. There's no doubt in my mind that the whole May fiasco impacted us.

2 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

I understand, i know our place .... but despite the whisky enabled rant last night, dont we have the money in the bank to keep someone like matty?

He be worth 2 places in the league for all we know, worth bums in seats for the long term as he was entertaining to watch....

At some point, caretaking versus any kind of aspiration gets to a tipping point and we will fall a division, and/or bounce off bottom of spfl with lower and lower crowds.

I guess i just worry in where the end game is for saints....and as someone moving back in next 5 years or so, i have selfish motivation.

So we go out and offer him a mega bucks contract to keep him at the club. The agent that negotiated that contract has Zander and your McCann so immediately gets them to rock the boat in an effort to get an extended contract at the same rates as Kennedy. We are soon left not with £2m in the bank but a £2m overdraft ala livi Motherwell Dundee and rangers all of whom felt the consequences of paying over the top wages. 

I personally think we have the players that can cover for his departure so not overly concerned although I would have liked him to stay. 

Matty has played well for us. Would have preferred if he had gone down south rather than to rivals in the league. Good luck to him. Who knows, he's only 25 so he might be back one day.

44 minutes ago, mainstand said:

So we go out and offer him a mega bucks contract to keep him at the club. The agent that negotiated that contract has Zander and your McCann so immediately gets them to rock the boat in an effort to get an extended contract at the same rates as Kennedy. We are soon left not with £2m in the bank but a £2m overdraft ala livi Motherwell Dundee and rangers all of whom felt the consequences of paying over the top wages. 

I personally think we have the players that can cover for his departure so not overly concerned although I would have liked him to stay. 

We should aim to be a selling club. That way, we’re bringing in guys with ability who might have lost their way a bit, then benefiting them and ourselves by letting them shine.

We stuffed up here by not signing him on a longer deal quickly. You could see his ability when he pinged in a thunderbolt 30 yarder on his debut at Station Park. 

With players as good as Matty, longer deals should be on the table ASAP. 

Same with Drey. 

11 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Should have had him on a longer contract which could have protected us better financially.

All the best. A super talent.

I think everyone is forgetting that Steve Brown declared early last year that he was frustrated that Kennedy's agent refused to entertain contract talks until a "later date". It was the same with Dre Wright who was still on the treatment table when Brown tried to open negotiations.

It is frustrating but players come here find brilliant form and then look for a bigger stage where often they dont realise the form they displayed at St.Johnstone. It's something we should be proud of and display our bona fides when trying to encourage a player who we want to come here.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

In other news, Record reporting Ross Callachan will join Dundee on loan, should be done before the weekend.

Good luck to the lad. Something has gone on as the guy is not a brilliant footballer but he gave everything & his display at Dens was brilliant. I think he could score a few for Dundee.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Good luck to the lad. Something has gone on as the guy is not a brilliant footballer but he gave everything & his display at Dens was brilliant. I think he could score a few for Dundee.

I agree Cagey. The lad had a real motor about him and added a good bit of stability in midfield. I was sure he would come back in to the picture,  seems strange he just dropped out of favour. He always gave a 100% - good luck to him.

23 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

What I'm looking forward to in the future is Tommy trying to sign Matty back in every transfer window until the end of eternity.

You never know, he could still end up playing for Tommy next season!

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

In other news, Record reporting Ross Callachan will join Dundee on loan, should be done before the weekend.

Also in Dundee Courier:

" Callachan agrees deal to make dens move"

Dundee have agreed deal with St Johnstone to bring midfielder Ross Callachan to Dens Park.

9 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Also in Dundee Courier:

" Callachan agrees deal to make dens move"

Dundee have agreed deal with St Johnstone to bring midfielder Ross Callachan to Dens Park.

Does that mean that Dundee are picking up all of his wages?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Murray Davidson, Jason Holt, Ali McCann and Liam Craig are all better.

I am sure they are ,but he was out of Tommy's plans before McCann became a regular & Holt was signed.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I am sure they are ,but he was out of Tommy's plans before McCann became a regular & Holt was signed.

Was he? He started most games at the end of last season.

This season hes started the first League Cup game, and the first league game. McCann replaced him in the first game, then started most games since, and Holt arrived after game 3 or 4.