Jimmy Wallace

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Like it but it won't happen. Too much like 4_4_2 for negative Tommy.

I would hope that Tommy was now seeing that 4-4-2 is our best formation.

Also the options for 3 at the back are horrible, with the ginger giant in there the only cover is Ando.

I guess that 5 over the middle means playing Davidson, Craig and McCann. I can see him doing that, probably with Craig dropping back to cover the CBs. That formation would be dismantled by (M)Allan I think. 

Definitely think that the Doige guy is nothing that Gordon or Kerr should be scared of, and given the state of Hibs defence we really should be letting our wingers run at them. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I did consider McCann.  I selected Craig as was the better defender. I agree he could go 4:5:1 and play all 3

I think that's what he'll do. 

The players he'll want to stop are I expect Mallan, Allan and Kamberi, so 3 in the middle to plug that up with the FBs and wingers told to run themselves ragged.

I'd like to see McCann in there as he is possibly the only player we have that can see an out ball to the wings IMO. 

Still leaves the problem of us only having Kane to get on the end of things. Kerr might actually our best bet for a goal outside of Matty and MOH. 

Reckon Tanser will get a couple this year from free kicks not that he seems to be getting on them at last. 

On 8/22/2019 at 9:21 PM, Valentino Bolognese said:

What's that in reply to?

...just the get yer predictions in post on the prev page.

cannae believe (yet) that the haddock is an international footballer.........agree that he’ll probably not start today - hopin Tommy goes for this a bit, if you’ve got a good record somewhere you should be going there with confidence.

2 hours til beer and train o’clock......coys!

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

FORMATION DOESNT MATTER. ONE UP FRONT DOESNT MEAN ITS NEGATIVE. MAN ****ING CITY PLAY ONE UP FRONT AT HOME TO LOWER TIER CLUBS.

YES BUT IT IS VERY ****ING NEGATIVE WHEN THE PLAYER YOU SELECT UPFRONT ISN'T COMFORTABLE AS A LONE STRIKER, NOTHING STICKS AND YOU END UP WITH HARDLY ANY POSSESSION IN THE OPPOSITION HALF.

SEE RECENT ST JOHNSTONE PERFORMANCES AT CELTIC AND MOST OF THE FIRST HALF AT HOME TO LIVINGSTON AS EXAMPLES.

FORMATION SHOULD BE BASED AROUND THE STRENGTHS OF THE PLAYING SQUAD YOU HAVE, NOT WHAT MANCHESTER CITY CAN DO.

55 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

YES BUT IT IS VERY ****ING NEGATIVE WHEN THE PLAYER YOU SELECT UPFRONT ISN'T COMFORTABLE AS A LONE STRIKER, NOTHING STICKS AND YOU END UP WITH HARDLY ANY POSSESSION IN THE OPPOSITION HALF.

SEE RECENT ST JOHNSTONE PERFORMANCES AT CELTIC AND MOST OF THE FIRST HALF AT HOME TO LIVINGSTON AS EXAMPLES.

FORMATION SHOULD BE BASED AROUND THE STRENGTHS OF THE PLAYING SQUAD YOU HAVE, NOT WHAT MANCHESTER CITY CAN DO.

100%. In his interview Wright says Hibs are not Celtic. Hopefully he doesn't play 9 across the back like he does away from home & rely on one breakaway like he does against the BIG teams.

Hibs are attacking & their defence is the weak link. If we sit in our own half we won't test them.

52 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

No need to shout.

Frankly, I just get pissed of with this "NeGatIve ToMMy OnE Up FrONt" myth that gets spouted literally every week.

He plays three central because, since Millar left, we've not been able to get any form of foothold in there against stronger sides with just two. Davidson has a horrendous habit of not tracking back these days, add the fact you'd be expecting MOH and Kennedy to both get up and down the park playing a major part in attacking and defending since no central cover can come behind them and protect a full back.

If someone can tell me why its a great idea to leave one of Vela, Mallan or Allan unmarked, so we can have Hendry and Kane both up front, since neither can contribute as a lone striker, I'm all ears, but I'd rather have a set up that allowed the wingers to spend less time worrying about whats happening behind them.

I assume most managers look at their best team and find a formation to fit. It would be suicidal to select a formation and try and make the players fit. However that is what Tommy has had to do by playing central Swanson and MO'H in a forward role. My favoured formation is 4:2:3:1 but we do not have 2 defensive midfielders.

Today I think it will Tommy's Favourite 4:5:1 with MO'H and Kennedy out wide supporting the lone striker.

Gordon is fit so I hope to see us start with our best back 4:  Foster Kerr Gordon and Tanser.

Central Midfield trio of McCann Craig and Davidson.

My biggest fear is we score first and Tommy parks the bus

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Frankly, I just get pissed of with this "NeGatIve ToMMy OnE Up FrONt" myth that gets spouted literally every week.

He plays three central because, since Millar left, we've not been able to get any form of foothold in there against stronger sides with just two. Davidson has a horrendous habit of not tracking back these days, add the fact you'd be expecting MOH and Kennedy to both get up and down the park playing a major part in attacking and defending since no central cover can come behind them and protect a full back.

If someone can tell me why its a great idea to leave one of Vela, Mallan or Allan unmarked, so we can have Hendry and Kane both up front, since neither can contribute as a lone striker, I'm all ears, but I'd rather have a set up that allowed the wingers to spend less time worrying about whats happening behind them.

All fair points. The bother for me is that we have lost our ability to keep clean sheets and keep teams out. 

If we set up to invite Hibs onto us then them scoring feels inevitable. Their weakness is definitely in defence, and whilst I’m not saying we should be gung  ho, playing on the front foot and having a go might be the better option.

I think ultimately it will be 4-5-1 though.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

I assume most managers look at their best team and find a formation to fit. It would be suicidal to select a formation and try and make the players fit. However that is what Tommy has had to do by playing central Swanson and MO'H in a forward role. My favoured formation is 4:2:3:1 but we do not have 2 defensive midfielders.

Today I think it will Tommy's Favourite 4:5:1 with MO'H and Kennedy out wide supporting the lone striker.

Gordon is fit so I hope to see us start with our best back 4:  Foster Kerr Gordon and Tanser.

Central Midfield trio of McCann Craig and Davidson.

My biggest fear is we score first and Tommy parks the bus

Don't worry about us scoring first & Tommy will park the bus regardless. Its what he does hence 1 shot on target most games.

3 hours ago, rinky dink said:

...just the get yer predictions in post on the prev page.

cannae believe (yet) that the haddock is an international footballer.........agree that he’ll probably not start today - hopin Tommy goes for this a bit, if you’ve got a good record somewhere you should be going there with confidence.

2 hours til beer and train o’clock......coys!

You do know that you can both go to the game and also predict the score?

That's what I'll be doing!

The ginger giant is indeed an international footballer. An international footballer for a team that are in the top 100 by a bawhair, just ahead of Trinidad and Tobago and behind the likes of Armenia, Jordan and Madagascar and way behind the Cape Verde Islands. A team gained 0 points in the Euro qualifiers. 

8 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Don't worry about us scoring first & Tommy will park the bus regardless. Its what he does hence 1 shot on target most games.

Go on you cheer me up. I have just put a second bottle of wine in the fridge. I you are correct I will need it as I will be watching on Saints TV 

32 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

All fair points. The bother for me is that we have lost our ability to keep clean sheets and keep teams out. 

If we set up to invite Hibs onto us then them scoring feels inevitable. Their weakness is definitely in defence, and whilst I’m not saying we should be gung  ho, playing on the front foot and having a go might be the better option.

I think ultimately it will be 4-5-1 though.

I have a hangover and find this shouting disturbing, please turn it down gents. 

Formation, obviously, does matter.

I agree that (M)Allan is the threat we need to neutralise. Jury's out on Vega. For that reason TW will undoubtedly play 5 in the middle. I made the very same point on P&B, or maybe I just thought it and forgot to post. 

And of course 1 up front isn't by itself negative. But you have to admit that when that 1 is Chris Kane it's not going to be a festival of goals. 

It's in part a case of only being able to pish with the cock you've got so our formation picks itself. The probem then is that when you have an opportunity to attack a club that coud be vulnerable, like Hibs arguably are with a ropey and injury-hit defence, the manager hasn't go the option to put out a team to take advantage.

I personally think we would be better served in this leauge being able to play 4-4-2, but for that we need (a) a striker that can finish consistently and (b) a game-controlling, pass-finding midfielder. Which is why the entire fan base has been banging on about these positions since last winter. 

FWIW my opinion is that Tommy will end up signing (a) but he's trying to create (b) in the shape of Ali McCann. I think this could work in the long term but he's got a fair bit to go before that and a signing like Holt on loan could bridge the gap. 

Anyway, coys. 

12 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I have a hangover and find this shouting disturbing, please turn it down gents. 

Formation, obviously, does matter.

I agree that (M)Allan is the threat we need to neutralise. Jury's out on Vega. For that reason TW will undoubtedly play 5 in the middle. I made the very same point on P&B, or maybe I just thought it and forgot to post. 

And of course 1 up front isn't by itself negative. But you have to admit that when that 1 is Chris Kane it's not going to be a festival of goals. 

It's in part a case of only being able to pish with the cock you've got so our formation picks itself. The probem then is that when you have an opportunity to attack a club that coud be vulnerable, like Hibs arguably are with a ropey and injury-hit defence, the manager hasn't go the option to put out a team to take advantage.

I personally think we would be better served in this leauge being able to play 4-4-2, but for that we need (a) a striker that can finish consistently and (b) a game-controlling, pass-finding midfielder. Which is why the entire fan base has been banging on about these positions since last winter. 

FWIW my opinion is that Tommy will end up signing (a) but he's trying to create (b) in the shape of Ali McCann. I think this could work in the long term but he's got a fair bit to go before that and a signing like Holt on loan could bridge the gap. 

Anyway, coys. 

And none of that works if we continue to concede 2 or more goals a game. Catch 22 strengthen defence and miss out out on a goal scorer. Bring in a forward and we may have to score 2 or 3 every game to win if our defending does not improve. I believe it is a defending mid fielder we need before a game controlling, pass-finding midfielder.